Corsair Community

XL5 & XL8 Coolant

This may have been asked before but I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if it is a repeat.

I have an older system that has a custom cooling loop that uses all of the various Hydro X Series components sold by Corsair.  This includes the XD5 Pump/Reservoir, XC7 CPU Water Block, XG7 GPU Water Block, XM2 M.2 Water Blocks (x2), XR5 360 Radiator w/ LL120 Fans, XR5 420 Radiator w/ LL140 Fans, 14mm XT Hardline Tubing and various XF Hardline Fittings.  When I built the loop I used XL5 Clear Performance Coolant.  I have since flushed the system and filled it up again with new XL5 Coolant.  I always like to have extra on hand in case there is ever an issue where the system needs to be disassembled.

I now want to buy some XL5 and cannot find it being sold.  All I find is the XL8.  I understand that the formula for the XL8 is to meet certain countries environmental requirements.  Does anyone know if the XL5 will ever be available again or do I now need to buy the XL8?  If this is the case I hear the two should not be mixed together.  This would indicate that the next time I do any work with the loop I would need to flush it well to be sure the XL5 is out before filling with the XL8.

Just looking for the correct information as not to have any issues in the future should I upgrade to new hardware (when prices become more reasonable - should that day ever come) which will require a rebuild.

Thanks for all of the input, and as always, it is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody knows, but it sure seems like XL5 has been discontinued for some regions and XL8 is the replacement.  I have both, and they are very different coolants as smell will tell you, so do not mix them.

• 4 weeks later...

Minor update to this. There still is a geographic split for these two based on manufacturing location. The European market should see XL5 and is not discontinued. Most everywhere else will see XL8. This is the same reason for original split, but US markets have now joined Australia-Pacific in the XL8 camp. As mentioned above, don’t mix. They are not the same. 

Is there any measurable performance difference between XL8 and XL5? 

it's 99,9% water.

If you didn't care about cheese formation you could use milk, it would work the same 🙂

No performance differences, but likely different anti-corrosive elements and biocides and their relative concentrations is what you don’t want randomly mixing together. 

Edited by c-attack

15 hours ago, c-attack said:

No performance differences, but likely different anti-corrosive elements and biocides and their relative concentrations is what you don’t want randomly mixing together. 

That was what I wanted to know.  I figured it might be a bad idea to mix them, but there is so little knowledge available from Corsair concerning the differences that I felt I should ask.  I do wish Corsair was for forthcoming with information about the differences because at the time I purchased the liquid for my system, both were available from them at the same time.

I'm not concerned about the thermal performance.  Liquid cooling is liquid cooling and the performance of the system is mostly based off of the total radiator volume, the amount of air flowing over the fin stacks, liquid flow, etc.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else notice stock levels being bad on this stuff?  Problems in the supply chain coming to a head?

It's gone out of stock repeatedly on Amazon Canada and now on the Corsair site too (for XL8 clear anyhow, after months of limiting purchases to only 2 bottles).  Newegg USA still has some but Newegg Canada doesn't know it exists at all.  Canada Computers has seemingly stopped getting it in, and Memory Express has put it up as a Special Order item meaning no idea if they'll ever get it.

Anyone able to say who the manufacturer is of XL8 by now?  Used to be people would say the XL5 was Mayhems and as such you could use Mayhams dyes, but I haven't seen anyone posting about the source for XL8 nor anything about compatible dyes anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get 2 bottles of XL8 clear ordered from the corsair store (those max of 2 bottles limits HURT with $30 shipping to canada, I could only justify it by buying the 5V load balancer same time).

Please restock the Corsair store on Amazon.ca  I can buy many bottles there so long as they have them to sell.

Or restock Canada Computers and Memory express to make it easier to buy.

Or consider offering concentrates?  I'd hate to have to switch coolants simply due to practicality issues in obtaining the stuff.  Not a threat just a grim realization Im trying to avoid facing up to.