Corsair Community

CPU Fan Error (AIO), RGB flashing red, system crash

Recently finished my first PC build and am having trouble booting the system. My monitor immediately indicates a CPU fan error, while the PC itself runs normally for about 30 seconds before all the fans start blinking red and everything seems to start running on max speed (i.e. loud). I only managed to flick around the BIOS for about two minutes before the system crashed completely and everything turned off. 

From research I've noticed that the fan header might be a problem. I'm currently using a top mounted AIO (ICUE H100i ELITE CAPPELIX) to cool the CPU which is connected to the AIO_PUMP header. Nothing is currently connected to the CPU_FAN header since all my fans are corsair and I thought it best to connect them all to the commander core. I'm realizing this may be a cause but I may need some guidance as to what the best solution might be. There's a lot of approaches out there that I can't wrap my head around. 

Another possible cause may be the BIOS itself. When I purchased my motherboard (ASUS TUF gaming x570-plus wifi) I was told that the BIOS may be updating. I've seen this indicated online when looking into this problem but again can't find a lot of explanation. I may need to some guidance around this too. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance if I seem a bit slow-witted, again this is still a bit new to me. 

For starters, the instructions say to connect the cooler to the CPU fan header per the instructions.  I am not sure that that in and of itself would cause the computer to shut off though.  I assume you are using the commander core provided and have everything connected correctly.  Double check cable from the pump header to core is plugged in correctly, the power connection is secure  and the USB header is installed correctly.

It is possible that the pump is not mounted correctly on the CPU causing it to heat up and causing the shut down.  I would double check that you used the right mounting hardware from the kit.  You might need to pick up some additional thermal paste to check it and remount it.

Good Luck!

Edited by mpoffo

Connecting the cooler to the CPU fan header serves to provide a tach reading to the BIOS so that you don't get a CPU warning. That's it. It has no other function at all. The warning that you saw is expected if you don't connect the fan header.

One thing about that, though, is that it can provide a warning of pump failure ... so I would suggest connecting it. From what you've said, it sounds like you may have some obstruction or a bad pump. If the fans are ramping up while you are still in the BIOS, that would indicate that the liquid temp is too high.

22 hours ago, mpoffo said:

For starters, the instructions say to connect the cooler to the CPU fan header per the instructions.  I am not sure that that in and of itself would cause the computer to shut off though.  I assume you are using the commander core provided and have everything connected correctly.  Double check cable from the pump header to core is plugged in correctly, the power connection is secure  and the USB header is installed correctly.

It is possible that the pump is not mounted correctly on the CPU causing it to heat up and causing the shut down.  I would double check that you used the right mounting hardware from the kit.  You might need to pick up some additional thermal paste to check it and remount it.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I reconnected the AIO and double checked all the other connections as you mentioned. Works perfectly normal now 🙂

19 hours ago, JTPlush said:

Thank you! I reconnected the AIO and double checked all the other connections as you mentioned. Works perfectly normal now 🙂

Glad to hear that you got it worked out.  Enjoy!