Corsair Community

All fans blinking red

I recently built a pc and I can't get the fans to stop blinking red. 

AMD 5900X

AMD Radeon 6800 XT

ROG STRIX X570-E

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL

H1100i Elite Capellix

680x Corsair case

I have 6 LL120 fans plugged into the commander pro from the H100i. I do not have Windows installed at the moment. The computer boots up, all the fans turn on, and cycle through all the colors. The fans then slow down, stop, and then they speed up and they start to blink red. On the setup BIOS page it says CPU Fan Error. When inside the BIOS, none of the fans appear in the Monitor tab. It says N/A for every single fan. The CPU temp stays around 38-40 Celsius. I've tried reseating the CPU fan with no changes. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The flashing red response is a controller reaction to the CPU boot error message.  This may be a problem, but it's too soon to tell.  It is normal for the fans not to show in the BIOS because they are running through a separate controller, not the motherboard.  That 2 wire connector from Commander Core to MB CPU_FAN is there for the express purpose of satisfying the motherboard's CPU fan detect programming.  In this case, it went off but it's not clear if that was an initial power on delay or a genuine error.  Since the CPU temp does not skip up 50..55...60..  ...80..85... etc through the range, there appears to be a working pump.  

Two possibilities are:

1) The tach wire between the Commander Core and CPU fan is damaged, defective, etc. or the Commander Core has a defect preventing it from receiving the signal.  Do you get a BIOS generated CPU Boot Error as well?  If so, I think you package it back up for a replacement.  

2) If you do not get a BIOS CPU boot error, then the controller may be stuck in the alarm mode from the first instance.  It may not reset until you boot up normally with Windows and can dismiss the alarm state from the CUE software.  It seems pretty clear you have a working pump, but a defective controller is a problem and you would need to replace it (Corsair Support) or swap the entire thing with the vendor.  If you are ready, I think it is safe enough to boot up to Windows and see if you can dismiss the alarm state.  The first time CUE loads it should overwrite the current condition with a blank slate, ready for you to do Lighting Set-up and define your own configuration.  

23 minutes ago, HardcoreGames said:

I assume the power to the water cooler is connected snuggly. 

Yeah. I've made sure it is. I've plugged it in to 3 different cpu fan headers with the same problem. The temps are stable even though I haven't done anything to increase them. iCUE shows the cpu at 26° and the coolant at 28°

7 hours ago, fr33d0m09 said:

I booted up windows and installed the iCUE software. It reset and then went back to blinking red. The iCUE even popped with a message that said punp failure. Contact support 😞

We’ve seen a few of these with the Elite coolers. Try force updating the firmware on the Commander Core (check for update -> none -> force update). If it still keeps reverting to the alarm state, contact Corsair Support. I am wondering if there is intermittent signal between pump and Com Core setting it off. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:55 PM, fr33d0m09 said:

Yeah. I've made sure it is. I've plugged it in to 3 different cpu fan headers with the same problem. The temps are stable even though I haven't done anything to increase them. iCUE shows the cpu at 26° and the coolant at 28°

I am assuming you are using iCue version 4.x