Corsair Community

RMA request

I had an issue with random restarts, usually when my system was using alot of memory intensive programs such as video encoding and the like. I tried to run memtest and got several errors. My system is only about a year and a half old but I had the ram checked using a dedicated ram module device to troubleshoot between bad ram and a bad memory controller/slot/etc. and both modules failed. Please let me know if there are any additional tests I should perform before filling out a RMA request form. I have an ASUS a7n8x+ mobo, AMD 3000+ w/ 400 MHz FSB (no overclocking), and run the Corsair XMS ram in dual-channel mode. I don't currently have the part numbers in front of me but I can get them later today.

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure. memory part number TwinX1024-3200LLPT Corsair XMS

mobo Asus A7n8x rev. 2.0

cpu AMD 3000+ w/ 400 MHz FSB

CPU was auto-detect settings, no overclock.

Ram was reported at 200 MHz (running dual channel for 400 FSB freq), "standard" latencies, I did not use the advanced settings.

I should mention again that my setup has been rock-solid for almost 2 years (since august of '03).

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the settings listed bellow and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

Memory Timings: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

• 2 months later...
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the settings listed bellow and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

Memory Timings: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have done the tests as you asked me to, set all settings per the above, although very much later than I'd anticipated. At first both of my TwinX modules seemed to pass MemTest 1.55, but when my system has been running for a few hours the stability quickly deteriorates. Upon doing another test after the memory has heated up a bit (testing both one at a time) it fails with thousands of errors in tests 3 and 4, possibly more after that but it didn't seem necessary to continue the tests. Please let me know how I can get my memory fixed. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
What you have posted would suggest there may be some other problem. Memory will normally work or it will fail usually getting errors after a period of time might suggest a power or heat problem with your system. Can you test the modules on another MB?

What you have posted would suggest there may be some other problem. Memory will normally work or it will fail usually getting errors after a period of time might suggest a power or heat problem with your system. Can you test the modules on another MB?

I considered that but a heat monitor program says my system temp never gets above 62 C under full load and the errors happen with or without the side of the case on and closed.

My memory runs errors using Memtest when my computer is cold-booted as well, but it seems that my programs reach a critical point after an hour or two of use. I'm thinking part of it is my use of Firefox which I'm told has a well known memory leak and perhaps my usage patterns take that long to get to the corrupted memory?

I do not have another motherboard to test it in, but as I've stated before I have a friend who works at a repair shop who let me use his dedicated ram module tester and they were failing for him there.

I can say without a doubt that one of the TwinX modules seems to crap out much more often and faster than the other, but it was my understanding that with TwinX they are paired, so if one goes bad I should get them both checked out and replaced by you guys.

Without another system to test my memory in, please advise me on the next step to take.

• Corsair Employees
We can try replacing your modules if you like, but I would encourage you to maybe ask a friend to help you test them in another system to be sure. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

We can try replacing your modules if you like, but I would encourage you to maybe ask a friend to help you test them in another system to be sure. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I will ask around and see if any of my friends have a similar system. My last question is what I should do if the test shows one stick of ram good and the other bad? Since it was paired memory should I send both sticks back or only the bad one?

And please let us know when you get the new modules.

A little late on the reply, but I also have the same motherboard and get the same symptoms. If you read ASUS web site very carefully, due to the early design of the motherboard and memory compatibility issues, they do not recommend running the memory at 200MHz.

Archived