Corsair Community

Slipstream devices not working on boot - replugging dongle necessary

Hi everybody,

i am having a weird problem, which i think is due to a faulty firmware for my slipstream dongle.
This problem persists since months, but the support in my country couldn't solve it. They even send me a new mouse incl. dongle, but that didn't help (as i was already expecting). It startet off with the (obviously well known) double click problem and it occurred after my upgrade to iCue 4.

Here is my detailed description of the issue:

- Both my devices (Harpoon RGB Wireless & K57) are running via Slipstream, either on the dongle of the mouse or keyboard, and the error occurs with both.
- All devices are flashed to the latest available firmware .
- After restarting, the devices are recognised wirelessly in iCUE, I can change the lighting scenes, switch on energy-saving mode and see the changes on the device - but they cannot be used otherwise, i.e. they simply do not react when moved or a button clicked.
- If I unplug the dongle and plug it in again, the mouse has also forgotten its last DPI state, but then works, as it should be.
- If the devices are plugged in by cable, they work immediately after starting.

It seems as if I have to wake up the devices by plugging in the dongle again or as if they are not immediately recognised as primary input devices after restarting. 

Unfortunately, I haven't found any clues as to what could be the cause - whether it's iCue, the firmware or my PC. I only assume, it's either iCue or the firmware.

I am running Windows 11, but the error persistet with Windows 10 as well.

Maybe someone had the same experiences?

Thanks and best,

Luke

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hi DukeLukem,

If your connected Corsair devices are not detected upon booting up your PC or waking your PC from Sleep Mode, it may be because Windows has suspended some of your USB ports in order to conserve power. This may cause your devices to not be detected upon startup until you unplug and replug the device into the USB port.

You can fix this issue with the following methods: disabling USB Selective Suspend or allowing your device to wake your computer from sleep mode.

Disable "USB Selective Suspend"
Your first option is to disable the USB Selective Suspend setting. This will prevent your system from suspending the USB ports that your devices are connected to.

Open your system's Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings next to your selected power plan.

usb_selective_suspend_setting_-_change_plan_settings.jpg

Click Change advanced power settings.
Select USB settings.
Select USB selective suspend setting.
Select Disabled in the dropdown menu.

usb_selective_suspend_setting_-_setting_disabled.jpg

Click Apply.
Enable your device to allow wakeup from sleep
The second option is to enable your device to allow wakeup from sleep.

Open your system's Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Click Devices and Printers.
Right-click your Corsair device and click Properties.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click Properties.
Click Change settings in the new window.

device_hardware_properties_-_change_settings.jpg

Click the Power Management table.
Make sure the Allow this device to wake the computer checkbox is ticked.

allow_device_to_wake_computer.jpg

Hi @Corsair Blade: Thanks for getting back!

Unfortunately this didn't help and the problem persists. I checked all HID devices, also all USB-Ports in Device Manager to be able to power up system and to be not powered down by the system. I also checked USB selective suspend settings and it's deactivated. 

I thought the error exists on all machines but i just tried a notebook from a friend and there (without iCUE installed) i could use the mouse after reboot without issues.
 So it seems it is some sort of setting on my computer. I have the same issue on another computer of mine too, though. That one runs Win 10, my current one Win 11 and the one of my friend Win 10 as well.

• Corsair Employee

Do you have the same issue with the K57 if it's used in Wired mode? 

I have neither with Harpoon RGB Wireless or K57 problems in wired mode, when starting up. They both work. When i unplug again, there is no connection again. There is no difference, when i deactivate mouse of keyboard and reactivate. I start unplugged and then plug, they work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this thread as I have exactly the same setup (K57 and Harpoon wireless) and issue. My computer runs Windows 10. Thought at first it had something to do with using multiple devices on one dongle but no - problem persists. Mouse works fine upon startup but keyboard input is not recognised unless it's wired or I replug the keyboard dongle. Both dongles are plugged directly into the laptop - so not even the docking station. 

I have also noticed that the DPI setting of the mouse resets after startup which is slightly annoying. 

My suspicion is that iCue is causing the problems. 

• Like 1

• Corsair Employee
10 hours ago, Jules McS said:

Came across this thread as I have exactly the same setup (K57 and Harpoon wireless) and issue. My computer runs Windows 10. Thought at first it had something to do with using multiple devices on one dongle but no - problem persists. Mouse works fine upon startup but keyboard input is not recognised unless it's wired or I replug the keyboard dongle. Both dongles are plugged directly into the laptop - so not even the docking station. 

I have also noticed that the DPI setting of the mouse resets after startup which is slightly annoying. 

My suspicion is that iCue is causing the problems. 

Check this just to be sure, as a start:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058128911-How-to-Fix-issue-where-keyboard-temporarily-does-not-work-after-Windows-boot

• Corsair Employee
On 3/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, DukeLukem said:

I have neither with Harpoon RGB Wireless or K57 problems in wired mode, when starting up. They both work. When i unplug again, there is no connection again. There is no difference, when i deactivate mouse of keyboard and reactivate. I start unplugged and then plug, they work as well.

Can you confirm if this behavior occurs on a separate device (different computer) ? 

On 3/23/2022 at 7:49 PM, Corsair Blade said:

Can you confirm if this behavior occurs on a separate device (different computer) ? 

Yes, i have tested on two other machines. On one other computer i hade the same issue, on another it didn't occur (both don't have iCue or any extra drivers installed). I wrote about this already:

"I thought the error exists on all machines but i just tried a notebook from a friend and there (without iCUE installed) i could use the mouse after reboot without issues. So it seems it is some sort of setting on my computer. I have the same issue on another computer of mine too, though. That one runs Win 10, my current one Win 11 and the one of my friend Win 10 as well."

• Corsair Employee
1 hour ago, DukeLukem said:

Yes, i have tested on two other machines. On one other computer i hade the same issue, on another it didn't occur (both don't have iCue or any extra drivers installed). I wrote about this already:

"I thought the error exists on all machines but i just tried a notebook from a friend and there (without iCUE installed) i could use the mouse after reboot without issues. So it seems it is some sort of setting on my computer. I have the same issue on another computer of mine too, though. That one runs Win 10, my current one Win 11 and the one of my friend Win 10 as well."

Go ahead and create a ticket @ https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new at this point and we can have the Tech Support team directly assist you, and we can see about sending you a new dongle if nothing else.

12 hours ago, Corsair Blade said:

Go ahead and create a ticket @ https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new at this point and we can have the Tech Support team directly assist you, and we can see about sending you a new dongle if nothing else.

Had a new dongle and even a new mouse send already by support, didn't help with this, it's clearly software related. Support in my country couldn't help, but i'll try with the international one again ... thanks!

On 3/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Corsair Blade said:

Really, that’s it? I too am experiencing the same issue, definitely screams software failure. I have always heard great things about Corsair so come time to purchase a new mouse I got excited because I chose the Dark Core RGB Pro. Brand new mouse but every time I boot my PC I have to unplug and replug the slipstream dongle. I’ve only had the mouse for less than a week, I’ve done everything you mentioned in this post, and still does not work. Funny how my old $10 GE mouse works perfectly fine and connects when booting up yet a brand new $80 mouse does not. 

OH and I also already submitted a help request and still have yet to hear back about this popular issue it appears. Great first experience lads. 

• Corsair Employee
23 hours ago, Dirty Dan said:

Really, that’s it? I too am experiencing the same issue, definitely screams software failure. I have always heard great things about Corsair so come time to purchase a new mouse I got excited because I chose the Dark Core RGB Pro. Brand new mouse but every time I boot my PC I have to unplug and replug the slipstream dongle. I’ve only had the mouse for less than a week, I’ve done everything you mentioned in this post, and still does not work. Funny how my old $10 GE mouse works perfectly fine and connects when booting up yet a brand new $80 mouse does not. 

OH and I also already submitted a help request and still have yet to hear back about this popular issue it appears. Great first experience lads. 

Hi Dirty Dan,

Sincere apologies for the delay experienced in your ticket response time. It looks like your ticket was created on Thursday, and we do have someone working with you on your case at this point.

I have the same problem since updating the dongle to fw 5.5.112.
When booting my pc i have to replug my dongle to get my mouse working(ironclaw rgb)except for the option button.
Tried different usb ports, even in a powered usb hub and nothing is helping so clearly a fw issue.
So corsair fw updates should make things better so please fix this asap.
No need to ask me changing al that stuff in power managment and etc because i already did that.

Lol sorry Phile1975.. join the club.. not looking good for us at this point. I honestly feel bad for OP DukeLukem he went almost 2 months before finally hearing back  well past a 30 day return window.  I was just advised yesterday to download a newer version of ICUE v.4.22.203 and force update the mouse. I did that and force updated the slipstream receiver and nothing has changed. Still have to unplug and plug in my dongle to get it to work.

Update:

finally heard back after the force update suggestion from tech support last week. Being told I will have to submit a RMA now lol

this was such a great first time experience from the Corsair brand. No RMA from me lads, I have  already returned the dark core RGB pro mouse back as defective and got my full refund. 

Definitely lost a customer over this. Definitely not a hardware issue as others have mentioned they experience the same issue. So if you’ve read this far already just going to leave you with a good luck. Dirty Dan out 

Okay, so this seems to be a bigger issue but nobody at Corsair seems to have a doubt whats causing this. Tech support in my country kinda gave up (again!) by saying: "Since the problem only occurs on certain systems, I can rule out a hardware defect. I can still recommend setting the energy-saving mode to "maximum performance" as a test and contacting the manufacturers of the notebooks. It is conceivable that it is related to the BIOS." (translated from german).

I ruled out the hardware defect a long time, as i have a two dongles to test and even got a mouse replacement in the meantime + it's working flawlessly on other machines i have. Had "Maximum performance" running all the time, so that clearly doesn't help. Don't have a lot of options in my bios, especially not power related, so can't do that. 

I fear this will persist as an error until someone finds why the firmware is interfering with some systems and some not.

Edited by DukeLukem

• 3 weeks later...

My local support gave up on this again - hoping for someone to come by this thread who could solve the issue or Corsair looking into this properly. But i guess it's too few users reporting this issue, that they would make the effort.

I checked again, that

• no USB devices can't be turned off by the computer
  • also no other corsair components in device manager
  • USB selective suspend is deactivated in energy settings
  • i have no Bios settings which could help with this
  • Other USB devices (like USB Flash Drive) work after boot
  • The same dongle works on other devices (Windows and Linux) without problems after reboot

I won't make a complete fresh install because of this, i'll rather change to bluetooth connection, but that can't be the solution ...

• 3 weeks later...

I am too in the same boat with my Dark Core Pro RGB and my IronClaw, however slightly different in terms of setup.

If i connect either of these mice to my Slipstream Dongle from my Virtuoso RGB SE when i boot up the mice will work upon boot without any issues.

However if i use the dongle from the Mice both are on Firmware 5.5.112 both mice will not work unless the dongle is unplugged and then replugged in after boot.

Now here is the crazy thing if i drop my the firmware version down on either of the mice and their dongles the mice will work as they are meant to upon boot.

However if i keep the firmware at their current removing all the HID devices or uninstalling my GPU in device manager and rebooting, will allow the mice to work upon boot once untill the system is restarted again.

I can also get the same result if i do a CMOS reset, the mice will work once upon boot until next reboot.

I have tested this on different systems with different bioses InsydeH2O, AMI Aptio and Phoenix same result so the whole compatibility with BIOS is crock.

I have raised a ticket #2004986758 and had back and forth with them (Currently ghosted right now not sure why as i have been updating them with what i have done with the system to get it working).

I have done everything including Reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch, Windows 11 from scratch doesn't make a blind bit of difference. I even tried Linux still had the issue.

To me the issue with people having to Replug the dongle in order to get their devices to work is a Dongle Firmware issue/Driver issue nothing to do with Laptop or Desktop bioses, if this was the case other USB devices would have issues.

• Like 1