Corsair Community

Laptop memory

Duke2K3

I'm looking at purchasing a HP Pavillion zd7000 series laptop with a 3.2HT P4 in it. They say the FSB is 800mhz (865PE Chipset) yet they only provide PC2700 SDRAM (DDR 333). Isn't that chipset and bus speed able to run PC3200 SDRAM (DDR400) ? They use 200 pin SODIMM's and although Corsair may not have these, I have found an OEM that makes them. Would they work in that laptop? Does Corsair have plans for laptops like these?

Duke, Right now, PC3200 200-pin DDR SO-DIMM's are not really 'industry standard', so OEM's like HP would not offer them. The fastest OEM parts are PC2700. BTW, Corsair does make these PC2700 parts (see ValueSelect series). You would also need to check if you actually put a PC3200 SO-DIMM into the system whether it would work at that faster speed. This is controlled through the BIOS and OEM BIOS's usually do not like to run anything faster than the 'supported' speed. Depending on the module's SPD programming, there is even some possibility that the module would not work at all.

Ram Guy, which chipset are you talking about? The 865PE? The HP zd7000 when configured with a 3.2 HT P4 uses the 865PE chipset which DOES support DDR400. Where did you get your specs on this configuration? Where can I get detailed specs on the HP zd7000 series laptop? In particular, one that contains a 3.2HTP4. According to HP the FSB on the 3.2 P4 is 800. On the models using a CPU of 3.06 and lower it is only 533 so..... are you sure it only supports DDR333? Sounds like there are 2 different MB's or chipsets used depending on which CPU you purchase according to HP. I thought the 865PE is the same as that used in desktops. I guess there is also the question of whether or not the BIOS can be changed to use PC3200 also. Too many grey areas. Need more facts. Does Corsair have anything in the works for PC3200 SO-DIMMS?

• Corsair Employees
You should maybe ask HP about that but all of the notebooks I have seen with the I865PE Mobil chipset only support DDR333. But they can use the desktop chipset and I am not familiar with HP so I would ask the Notebook maker to be sure what’s supported.

Ram Guy. Intel is Intel. The chipset in the zd7000 with a 3.2 CPU IS the 865PE. I can't find a "mobile" version of that chipset on Intel's site under mobile chipsets. The Intel site specs out the 865PE as supporting DDR400. The I865PE is a desktop chipset according to the Intel site. Just to bring you up to speed on the marketplace, the desktop chipsets AND CPU's are beginning to appear in the new "portable desktops" which IMO can't really qualify as a true laptop at 10 lbs and a max of 2 hour battery life. Here's a few of the manufacturers/models of these beasts: HP - zd7000 series ONLY if ordered with a 3.2 CPU. Toshiba - Satellite P25 Series. Alienware - Area 51m (Uses DDR400/PC3200, where'd they get THAT ram from?) These are true desktop CPU's and chipsets crammed into notebook cases. So... I ask once again, does Corsair have anthing planned for these? If not, who makes PC3200 ram. I've only found 2 sources to get it and BOTH are vague in their specs if any are given at all. One manufacturer is Kingmax which has had very poor reviews. No one that has tested this memory was able to get it to run at a 200mhz clock speed as it should. They also use an unconventional "TinyBGA" in their modules. I won't buy it. Is this a niche market, not to be supported or could be a next step?

• Corsair Employees
O.K. What ever you say! But all and I have tested many of the notebooks and desk notes and desktop systems and all of the notebooks from what I have seen will have limited the memory Freq to DDR333. So if your Note book will run it, then that’s great and maybe we should get one and take a look at it. But the Alienware - Area 51m unit I have in the lab will only support DDR333 and I know its stated on the web site but the unit will not run at DDR400 no matter what module is installed.

• Corsair Employees
Let me put it this way. This is new technology and a model may be planed to support a function or feature but when it was released its not supported. That is not unusual for new products like this. All I can tell you is what we have tested at this time and it’s subject to change with out notice as this hard ware is changing sometimes over night. I would give these products some time to mature and see how they come out but for now that's all I can tell you. Sorry!

• Corsair Employees
Well I have done some more checking with what’s in the pipeline. So bare with me a min. The NB from Alienware does indeed support DDR400 (Needed an update) and we are working on DDR400 SO Dims. They are not available yet and I am not sure exactly how long it will be. So if you can wait about 2-4 weeks I should know something by then for sure. The SO Dims should be available at [url]www.newegg.com[/url] or [url]www.outpost.com[/url] when available.

RamGuy, you were beginning to worry me. :eek: Do you mean that Corsair is working on making DDR400 SODIMMS?:-) Where do I sign????? A lot of users are going to be looking for it and I have had great success with Corsair in the past. YOUR memory performs as you guys spec it. I know what I'm getting when I buy Corsair. PAAALEEEASE make us some DDR400 SODIMM's K? Keep me posted. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived