Corsair Community

RMA Request Corsair 512mb PC3200 ValueRAM

Pretty much an open and shut case. I built 4 workstations and a server for a client who's an attorney a few months ago. All systems were working fine until one of them just recently wouldn't let you boot into windows. At first I thought it might be a virus or something relating to user error so I did a full reformat and reinstall of winxp pro however I kept getting errors during installation which immediately made me think it wasn't software related. I used the latest version of memtest and I was seeing literally thousands of errors on all tests. I opened the case up and replaced the stick of ram with 1 stick of ADATA pc3200 512mb that I had spare. Now it works perfectly again after fully reinstalling all the software and doing another memtest diagnostic. This is the first time I've ever had any corsair ram die on me and would like to have it replaced.

Here is the hardware I used to build all 4 workstations. There are no compatibility issues to my knowledge and the other 3 workstations still seem to be running perfectly fine. Looks like I might of gotten a lemon stick of RAM for just this one system.

BIOSTAR Geforce4 MX440-8X 64MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

CTX S760 Beige 17" 16ms LCD Monitor - Retail

THERMALTAKE A1280 120mm Ball Cooling Fan - Retail

SOLTEK SL-K8AN2E-GR Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3000AXBOX - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Rosewill Beige IDE Combo Drive Model C523216 - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM

Antec Solution SLK3700AMB Metallic bronze Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail

Thank you,

Erik

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well.

Just a quick clarification for you RAM GUY. I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. There was only ever 1 stick of RAM in the system and I replaced it entirely with a stick I had laying around spare from another manufacturer to quickly solve the problem for my client.

Additional Clarification Summary:

1. I ran memtest while the system was failling to load windows and noticed thousands of errors.

2. I removed the one and only Corsair ValueRAM pc3200 512mb stick and replaced it with a spare stick of 512mb pc3200 I had lying around from a different manufacturer.

3. I ran memtest with the new stick and received no errors and all system instability was completely alleviated.

I did try upping the voltage while I was originally troubleshooting but it didn't make any difference. I will go ahead and submit the online RMA form.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Erik

Archived