Corsair Community

Fan Control Software (iCUE alternate)?

edandolo

I have a i200, which I like very much EXCEPT for the fan control situation. This is the only computer I have ever owned that I had to manually control the CPU fan.

As others have noted, the iCUE software (I have version 3.38.88) sets the default fan speed to 0RPM and never changes that, regardless of the coolant temp. When the temp gets too hot, the BIOS failsafe kicks in, the computer flashes red, and the fan spins up to max RPM until it is cooled. That's it.  Apparently iCUE used to allow setting a fan curve, but it no longer allows that (at least for the i200). 

My workaround has been to set a "custom" speed of 900 RPM, which keeps things cool under normal load and is quiet. The irritation comes when I have to run something on a heavy load. Then I have to use the "extreme" setting, which brings the fan to max. After closing that program, I have to return it to "custom."

Since iCUE is brain dead on the fan curve, would it be possible to use a third-party program to manage this? Any recommendations? Or could the fan be plugged into a fan header on the mobo and a curve set in the BIOS?

Thanks for any help.

As far as I know, there is no software that can detect the top fan because the fan is connected to the GPU pump hence why only iCUE can see the fan. I remember someone mentioned Argus Monitor could read the fan. Not sure on this but either way this software requires a subscription. You can try it for 30 days free just to see if it works. Otherwise the easiest thing is to connect the fan to a mobo header and set a custom curve in BIOS to monitor CPU temps. The only thing is that you will need a 4 pin PWM extension cable because the top fan cable is short and connects at the top of the case. So you will need to buy the extension so it reaches the mobo header. Check out the link below to see what the cable looks like. It also needs to be at least 30cm in length like the one below.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=486&area=en

The only disadvantage is that the fan will no longer react to GPU temps. Whereas a factory feature is that the fan can react to either GPU or CPU temps depending on which is running hotter. Still better than having zero fan until it overheats. And since the fan would be connected to the mobo, you would then be able to use other software to control it while you game, etc.

ideally the fan curve has to react to both water temps, not exactly to CPU and GPU temps. In such a hot case it doesn't really matter but it helps to have an emergency shutdown if water gets too hot.

Can Argus read those temps? if it does you're golden. if not, you can use CPU and GPU temps.

I just set my fan 100% all the time for performance. Noise doesn't bother me always have headphones on either gaming or watching YouTube or other media content while power is on.  Plus I've lost some hearing as a Helicopter Techniacian over the years =/.

Edited by zguy85

• 4 months later...

A hardware / software option is the Quadro from Aquacomputer. It comes with a temperature sensor which I taped to the CPU radiator. I connected the GPU AIO coolant temperature output connector (2-pin) too and can control the top fan and additional slim fan I installed on the CPU radiator based on these temperature inputs. To use this on the C1, one needs one SATA splitter cable and one SATA to LP4 power cable adapter as the C1 SATA power is already powering the SSD and CPU AIO pump 

Aquasuite software allows real and usable fan curve settings and once set based on connected temperature sensors, the software is no longer required nor the usb connection, the unit stores the settings internally and will run standalone.

If you opt to keep the aquasuite running, you get the added advantage of virtual sensors and additional computer data from the motherboard etc.

Quadro.jpg

Edited by ckibue

My C1 works perfectly ever since I connect the top fan directly to the motherboard fan header and I don't install iCue at all.

Then you can config your preferred fan curve either via BIOS or the FanControl software.

The benefit of using FanControl software is that you can use a MIXED setting instead of monitoring only one temperature in BIOS.

e.g. Currently I have mixed control to monitor both CPU, GPU and M.2. Then any one of them reaches my predefined threshold, the fan speed will go up, otherwise, the fan will run in low speed when idle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eric418 said:

My C1 works perfectly ever since I connect the top fan directly to the motherboard fan header and I don't install iCue at all.

Then you can config your preferred fan curve either via BIOS or the FanControl software.

The benefit of using FanControl software is that you can use a MIXED setting instead of monitoring only one temperature in BIOS.

e.g. Currently I have mixed control to monitor both CPU, GPU and M.2. Then any one of them reaches my predefined threshold, the fan speed will go up, otherwise, the fan will run in low speed when idle.

Exactly how I have mine setup. Fan Control embarrasses everyone else's attempt at a fan software.

Thanks for the help, I have got no where with solving my iCue control issue with support. So I have done as you have suggested, but want to ask a couple of things due to my lack of experience. Which will likely help anyone else that finds this thread. It appears to work great controlling the fan with the mixed CPU/GPU temp.

There are two fan inputs at the top of the mobo, Fan1 already has a single wire cable coming out going somewhere, and the other (fan2) empty.

The cable for the main fan cannot reach the open slot, so I have moved the single wire cable to Fan2, and plugged the main top fan into Fan1 slot.

Then simply installed FanControl, which I agree is amazing.

First question, do you know what that first original fan1 wire was for?
Are the watercooled units independent, i.e there is no need to try and control anything re RPM for those. They don't seem to really appear on my FanControl.
Are you still able to control the RGB on the box?

21 hours ago, OxOne said:

Thanks for the help, I have got no where with solving my iCue control issue with support. So I have done as you have suggested, but want to ask a couple of things due to my lack of experience. Which will likely help anyone else that finds this thread. It appears to work great controlling the fan with the mixed CPU/GPU temp.

There are two fan inputs at the top of the mobo, Fan1 already has a single wire cable coming out going somewhere, and the other (fan2) empty.

The cable for the main fan cannot reach the open slot, so I have moved the single wire cable to Fan2, and plugged the main top fan into Fan1 slot.

Then simply installed FanControl, which I agree is amazing.

First question, do you know what that first original fan1 wire was for?
Are the watercooled units independent, i.e there is no need to try and control anything re RPM for those. They don't seem to really appear on my FanControl.
Are you still able to control the RGB on the box?

I just connect the top fan to a spare PWM header (SYS_FAN2) on the motherboard with a regular fan extension cable. You don't need to swap anything.

I use HWiNFO to monitor the stats, and you can see Corsair One Coolant temp and Pump RPM there too. The pumps are always at ~1900 RPM, regardless if you have iCue or not. I don't think the pump will change speed at all.

I don't change RGB regularly. But if I do, I'll install iCue, change the hardware RGB setting, and uninstall iCue and the RGB will stay.

Edited by eric418

The single wire connector going to one of the fan headers is the rpm signal from the CPU AIO pump. The CPU AIO pump gets it's power from the SATA connector near the power supply and then shares this with the GPU AIO pump.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this 0 rpm fan issue on the Corsair Ones a known issue? I got off the phone with tech support yesterday, and the person did not seem to know about it. Yet you all seem to have the exact same problem. I have  Corsair One i160 that just yesterday started giving me the overheating warning, and can only be fixed if run the fan in iCue at Extreme or Custom. Very frustrating. 

My friend,  this has been a known issue by the community and Corsair for about 5 months now.  They have reported to another user here that it is known 2 months ago.  Corsair is incompetent and unreliable when it comes to support for prebuilt PCs after you have made the purchase...... you are on your own, only able to fall back on this small community.  Many of us here are rightly beyond frustration due to the lack of customer care and return of feedback from yet again another...... give us your money and shut your mouth corporation.  The Mods here are nice boys and girls but start to feel like pacifiers for the engineers and corporate budget/project planners.  I'm sure they're doing their best given their positions and given reach in these matters.  Behind the scenes it's just about the money.  I suggest you just be happy with what you got and get comfortable..... that is all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Groumm Did your iCue Software update?  If so you have to uninstall iCue completely first, and during the uninstall make sure you set the uninstall settings to uninstall all previous profiles EV ERYTHING, and then proceed with a fresh install.  This worked for me twice.   Screenshot your settings before doing this.

• 2 weeks later...