Corsair Community

Commander Core not showing up in iCue

bobik

I recently did a huge upgrade to my PC and with that, I required some new cooling equipment. Got myself the H100i Elite Capellix which came with a Commander Core, got everything up and running - but I cannot control the speeds or change the RGB on the fans. 

I'm currently running a mix of 2x LL120 fans on the front of my case, and 2x ML120 which came with my Elite Capellix. Both my LL and ML fans are connected to my Commander Core along with the Pump. As a result, I have the typical rainbow RGB vomit cycle but I'm unable to change it. I have tried everything - repairing, reinstalling, regedit fixes, switching USB ports on the motherboard. Nothing has worked. This is a shame because I'm beginning to suspect that I might need to buy a second fan hub like the regular LED fan hub I used before (but it failed on me in my previous build, and the RGB was not lighting up). Please help. iCue doesn't even detect that anything like this exists.

7 hours ago, bobik said:

switching USB ports on the motherboard

Motherboard series?  If you don't see the Commander Core in the CUE software, this is all about USB detection.  You don't need a RGB lighting hub for your fans.  On the Core controllers this is inside the device, but also why Core controllers can only do 6 fans and not the 2 x 6 for Pro controllers.  

14 hours ago, c-attack said:

Motherboard series?  If you don't see the Commander Core in the CUE software, this is all about USB detection.  You don't need a RGB lighting hub for your fans.  On the Core controllers this is inside the device, but also why Core controllers can only do 6 fans and not the 2 x 6 for Pro controllers.  

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Elite, and I tried both the USB ports available but to no avail. The fans are all connected in order (1 being the bottom fan on the front of my case, 4 being the rear fan on my H100i) and yet still no detection. Maybe my Commander Core USB connector is broken in some kind of way? I'm running the latest BIOS version so I'm running out of Software issues to blame this on 😕

4 minutes ago, bobik said:

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Elite, and I tried both the USB ports available but to no avail. The fans are all connected in order (1 being the bottom fan on the front of my case, 4 being the rear fan on my H100i) and yet still no detection. Maybe my Commander Core USB connector is broken in some kind of way? I'm running the latest BIOS version so I'm running out of Software issues to blame this on 😕

I should also mention that I am on Windows 11, if that is of any assistance. 

We are starting to see some detection issues on Z690. Previously this was an AMD problem only. Make sure you have installed the chipset drivers from Gigabyte’s MB page. That is in control of usb. If that does not help, then the powered hub would the next step. Another path would be to try a USB 3->USB 2 internal adapter to let you run it from a MB USB internal 3.0 hub.  

Edited by c-attack

• 2 months later...

Make sure the commander core is properly plugged in. If you taped the CC to the case before connecting it then it is more difficult to properly plug in fans and particularly the broad controller cable. That cable needs to go in perfectly straight and should seat with a slight click. You might need to pry the CC off the case to re-plug in the connector. While you are at it check the pins to be sure a pin didn't get bent. I installed H150i Elite Capellix on mine and my son's PCs. My board is a Z590 and his a Z690 with no issues. I also have the LCD kit on mine and it's working fine. I think one key is to hook up the Commander Core before taping it to the case.

Same issue here, I think.  Finished build today.   Have the H150i lcd.  The aio and one fan is connected into the cocore that came with the AIO.  My other 6 fans (all same fans) is connected into a core xt.   The cocore that came with the AIO shows in icue, the cocore xt is not showing up in ICUE at all.

9 hours ago, kevinranders said:

Have the H150i lcd.

9 hours ago, kevinranders said:

The cocore that came with the AIO shows in icue, the cocore xt is not showing up in ICUE at all.

You have a different issue than the original post. With the newer devices like the Commander Core, Commander XT, and LCD top we see people run into trouble when combining three or more of these into the same usb 2 path. You have three. 

The LCD top if finicky as is, so if that is consistently detected with no red (!), don’t move it. Obviously the Commander Core is essential and tied to AIO power and functionality. If you have a free motherboard USB 2.0 header, connect the XT directly and see if that helps. This is not a usb power issue like the older AMD posts. This one seems to be about bandwidth, so the powered usb hub won’t help and likely exacerbates the issue. The best workaround so far seems to be using a usb 2->3 conversion cable do you can connect them to a usb 3 motherboard port. The higher throughput on that path seems to allow 3-4 new type controllers. 

4 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You have a different issue than the original post. With the newer devices like the Commander Core, Commander XT, and LCD top we see people run into trouble when combining three or more of these into the same usb 2 path. You have three. 

The LCD top if finicky as is, so if that is consistently detected with no red (!), don’t move it. Obviously the Commander Core is essential and tied to AIO power and functionality. If you have a free motherboard USB 2.0 header, connect the XT directly and see if that helps. This is not a usb power issue like the older AMD posts. This one seems to be about bandwidth, so the powered usb hub won’t help and likely exacerbates the issue. The best workaround so far seems to be using a usb 2->3 conversion cable do you can connect them to a usb 3 motherboard port. The higher throughput on that path seems to allow 3-4 new type controllers. 

Thanks man.  After several hours of trouble-shooting - nothing is being recognized in my second USB 2.0 header (even if the first USB 2.0 header is empty) - so I suspect I may have a dead USB 2.0 header anyway.  I will order a usb 2 to 3 conversion cable, it will likely mean I won't have use of one of the front io connections but I can live with that.   I appreciate your response even though I hijacked the thread apparently.

1 hour ago, kevinranders said:

I appreciate your response even though I hijacked the thread apparently.

No worries. I didn’t want you to run out and buy a powered usb hub. That has been “the issue” on AMD boards for detection problems since x570 and there are volumes and volumes of responses aimed at that. Now we have this new issue and it’s living on the fringes of the old AMD ‘device isn’t detected’ and the big LCD display (!) threads without a clear home. 

If you have an AMD board and your Commander Pro or Platinum/XT AIO keeps dropping in and out, that’s the AMD usb power issue. If you have an Intel or AMD board and are having trouble getting a Commander Core, Commander XT, or LCD top to show up in CUE, it is more likely related to this “bandwidth” issue. USB 3 conversion seems to be the only successful strategy thus far, but it’s also possible to have a combination of both factors above. 

Edited by c-attack

12 hours ago, c-attack said:

No worries. I didn’t want you to run out and buy a powered usb hub. That has been “the issue” on AMD boards for detection problems since x570 and there are volumes and volumes of responses aimed at that. Now we have this new issue and it’s living on the fringes of the old AMD ‘device isn’t detected’ and the big LCD display (!) threads without a clear home. 

If you have an AMD board and your Commander Pro or Platinum/XT AIO keeps dropping in and out, that’s the AMD usb power issue. If you have an Intel or AMD board and are having trouble getting a Commander Core, Commander XT, or LCD top to show up in CUE, it is more likely related to this “bandwidth” issue. USB 3 conversion seems to be the only successful strategy thus far, but it’s also possible to have a combination of both factors above. 

If you don't mind, as I ordered the cable you referenced, what connects into that?  The CoCore XT or the AIO/LCD with the Y splitter?

No way to know. This has been super finicky for a lot of people and oodles of trial and error. However, if the Com Core and LCD top have been working without dropping out, don’t move them. That’s been the more difficult device of the lot. So for you I would say the Commander XT goes to usb 3, but there’s a chance you’ll have to puzzle it out among the devices. 

I wasn’t paying attention as I went through on my phone this morning and answered your other thread. However, at the end is another option for resolving this. You send back the XT and offload it’s responsibilities to two “lesser” devices. You likely have a Lighting Node Core around from some fan multipack. That’s RGB. Then you use a cheap PWM hub to act as a powered splitter for 4-10 fans. That connects to the Commander Core so you still have full software control, but all fans on the PWM hub run the same speed. This is usually not a problem in larger cases where there is no need for individual fan control in a bank of three fans. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Ok got it. I still have the small PWM repeater that came with the case (5000x) but, I removed it to use the cocore xt before really learning about the finicky nature of the three devices working together.  I did end up swapping out the MSI motherboard as I suspected I had a dead USB 2.0 header and will be putting in an ASUS mb this weekend.   I will try all combinations   Your pwm repeater/hub suggestion may be the best option and allow me to continue using my front IO vs. using the USB 3.0 header with the adapter cable and losing some functionality on the front IO.   I can't recall atm, but I think the PWM repeater that I removed form the case has a simply PWM cable that I could slot into the cocore and just treat the front/side 6 intake fans as one fan, which shouldn't be a problem

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and provide some feedback, suggestions and guidance; as a novice is invaluable.

Just to close the loop.  After MB swap.  I connected the AIO/LCD into the Y Splitter into a USB 2.0 header.  Then I connected the new lightning node core into the second USB 2.0 header.  The front 3 and side 3 are connected into a PWM repeater and then that PWM cable is connected into an open slot on the CoCore that came with the AIO as well as the AIO 3 fans and 1 rear exhaust fans.   So far (knock on wood) all is working as it should including screen adjustment in ICUE.

A HUGE thanks to c-attack and some others for helping a novice feel more confident on a seemingly successful build.  Now to install my remaining 2 m.2's, clean up some wires and take a nap.  😛

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, bobik said:

I had the same problem on my dads z690 and then tried it on my asus 570 e. The commander core xt wouldnt show up and therefore cant control the fans. I have now found the solution for me so hope it helps everyone else. So after updating icue and saying its fully updated this still wont work as it just updates the version 3 to the max level. Google icue version 4. Installed it, it replaced version 3 and hey presto i have a fully working com core xt fully rgb and speed controlled. Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to have at least v4.0 of ICUE to control the newest stuff. The current version is 4.23.137. My Corsair hardware including the LCD screen are running smooth as glass now. I still haven't got up the nerve to test the clock screen that gave me problems.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, c-attack said:

If you have an Intel or AMD board and are having trouble getting a Commander Core, Commander XT, or LCD top to show up in CUE, it is more likely related to this “bandwidth” issue. USB 3 conversion seems to be the only successful strategy thus far, but it’s also possible to have a combination of both factors above. 

I'm back from my slumber.

I literally just ignored this issue for half a year, never bought an external USB hub, but I'm getting really annoyed with the fan speeds at times so it has caught my attention yet again. I'm glad to see that many have managed to resolve their issues, so I'd like to ask, what are you referring to with "USB 3 conversion"? How would I go about converting my USB ports?

It’s a specific adapter cable to allow a 9 pin usb 2.0 connector to match up with the very different USB 3 connector type. The mb spec for usb 3 provides more voltage than usb 2 which may help some users. However, there are still some strange results being reported. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2022 at 11:06 AM, c-attack said:

It’s a specific adapter cable to allow a 9 pin usb 2.0 connector to match up with the very different USB 3 connector type. The mb spec for usb 3 provides more voltage than usb 2 which may help some users. However, there are still some strange results being reported. 

I came here to make an account to say that I am very frustrated that I happen to have one of the few MBs that the Commander Core XT does not play nice with. I have a TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) mobo.

I get lit white fans and they spin. I get my mouse and ram in iCue. I have made sure it is updated as far as the gui will take me. I have now also tried the aforementioned (another thread?) NZXT internal powered 2.0 hub and it has improved nothing. I have a rgb cooler that also uses a 2.0 usb header and it works 1) off the mobo ports, 2) off the CoCore XT extender and 3) off the NZXT hub.

What can I try now? Is spending another $15-$20 on this stupid lighting really worth it to get a 3.0->2.0 adapter? 

I love the Commander Core XT at work, we have used it 3x on VR show rigs now, and I was so excited to redo my aesthetics on my home PC and now this headache. 

Thanks in advanced. 

• Corsair Employees
5 hours ago, Teku1998 said:

I came here to make an account to say that I am very frustrated that I happen to have one of the few MBs that the Commander Core XT does not play nice with. I have a TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) mobo.

I get lit white fans and they spin. I get my mouse and ram in iCue. I have made sure it is updated as far as the gui will take me. I have now also tried the aforementioned (another thread?) NZXT internal powered 2.0 hub and it has improved nothing. I have a rgb cooler that also uses a 2.0 usb header and it works 1) off the mobo ports, 2) off the CoCore XT extender and 3) off the NZXT hub.

What can I try now? Is spending another $15-$20 on this stupid lighting really worth it to get a 3.0->2.0 adapter? 

I love the Commander Core XT at work, we have used it 3x on VR show rigs now, and I was so excited to redo my aesthetics on my home PC and now this headache. 

Thanks in advanced. 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue, Teku1998. Have you tried performing a clean installation of iCUE? If that doesn't help, it would be worth updating your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version available, as some AMD chipsets have been known to be less cooperative USBs.