terstegen

I am building a gaming/multimedia PC with the following setup:

Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard

Asus Extreme AX800XL/2DTV video card

Seagate Hard drives--2 160GB in RAID mirror

Intel P4 640 3.2 ghz 800 MHZ FSB

Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

I want to get 1 gb of ram. I am looking at either of the following:

Corsair Twin2X1024A-5400UL or Twin2X1024A-6400. The listed latency is 3-2-2-8 and 5-5-5-12.

Not sure how much of a difference that is or what the realistic difference between 675 mhz and 800 mhz? I am not looking to over clock. I want a fast system that is stable and a system that I don't have to work on.

I can get the 5400 ram for 217 and I can get the 6400 for 219 so price is not an issue.

Thanks for any help.

• Corsair Employees
With any of our XMS modules you would need to maually configure the Bios for the specific timings of the module in question. And I would suggest Twin2X1024A-5400UL for best performance.

Why do you recommend the 5400 ram over the 6400? Is it the latency?

Thanks.

With any of our XMS modules you would need to maually configure the Bios for the specific timings of the module in question. And I would suggest Twin2X1024A-5400UL for best performance.

• Corsair Employees
Why do you recommend the 5400 ram over the 6400? Is it the latency?

2 reasons, first you said and I quote "I am not looking to over clock" but I dont think you have thaught this thru, as with any of these modules you would be technicly over clocking.

Second XM2S5400UL would run faster and support a wider range of timings and frequencys than XM2S6400. Especially since you do not seem to want to over clock.

By overclocking I meant on the CPU and video card. I want a stable system that I can build from boxed parts. If I build a PC with a 3.2 ghz P4, ATI X800 card and other high quality parts and it is not fast enough then I can look at "tweaking" some settings for the CPU and such. Where your memory is tested to run at 675 or 800 I feel confident in those speeds as being stable.

My current PC is a celeron 1.4, 100 mhz FSB and only has a 2x AGP slot so what I want to build will be like a night and day difference. :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help. I will go with the 5400 ram.

2 reasons, first you said and I quote "I am not looking to over clock" but I dont think you have thaught this thru, as with any of these modules you would be technicly over clocking.

Second XM2S5400UL would run faster and support a wider range of timings and frequencys than XM2S6400. Especially since you do not seem to want to over clock.

Archived