Corsair Community

My fans are going crazy after firmware update

Hi!

A few days ago I got a notification that I had a firmware update for my Commander Pro devices in my setup.
I updated the firmware and after that the fans connected to it started to rise in speed and right now it sounds like I'm in the hangar next to a jet fighter.

I read somewhere that another one had the same problem and decided to change from the Commander Pro to a Commander Core XT and that fixed his problems.
Well, I like new hardware (😉) and thought that I should do the same and get rid of my Corsair RGB hub and connect everything to this new device.

I got it today and exchanged the unit, connected everything back and booted my system. For a short while the fan speeds didn't rush that much, but after a few seconds they were back to how it sounded after the firmware update.

In Icue I've used the setting Quiet for my fans, but now even though I'm running them on that preset two of the fans go for 1800+ rpm all the time.
I haven't changed any settings in BIOS nor in Icue.

I also removed Icue software from my system, did a reboot and re-installed it and loaded my old configuration file. Still 1800 RPM. I have made a new configuration file, but nothing has changed.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or if there's a fix for this?

I love Corsair stuff and would still like to use them like I've done for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

commander_core_xt_01.jpg

3 hours ago, LabOne242 said:

I read somewhere that another one had the same problem and decided to change from the Commander Pro to a Commander Core XT and that fixed his problems.
Well, I like new hardware (😉) and thought that I should do the same and get rid of my Corsair RGB hub and connect everything to this new device.

That not a correct conclusion and whoever wrote that did not understand why the behavior changed.  There is nothing wrong with either controller.  The Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets default to CPU temperature as a control variable but on a curve intended for water cooling.  This will keep the fans at 1500 rpm minimum at all times.  You have a complex fan controller with a lot of control options.  You need to use them and no one should be using the Quiet/Balanced/Extreme presets except on the AIO coolers with fan control.  

We need to know what you have in your system that can be used for fan control.  CPU temperature is the worst possible as a control variable and it has little impact on case temperature, the value case fans help regulate.  Motherboard temperature can usually be used and offers a decent response.  The best possible choice is to use one of the temp probes from the Commander Pro and run it back to near the rear exhaust (inside or outside the case).  That measures exit air temp and is an excellent indicator of how warm things are inside the box.  If you have an AIO (any brand) or other water cooled hardware, there are a lot more choices.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1