Corsair Community

Should I return the Power Supply? DENTED BOX

G-Shock

I bought the RM650x off of Amazon, Amazon was the (authorized) seller, in early November 2021.  When the box arrived, there was a significant impact and dent on the side of the box as pictured.  The outer Amazon box was totally fine.  The Corsair box was wrapped tight in shrink-wrap plastic.  When I opened the box, the impact had been so strong as to cause a very slight dent on a corner of the metal housing.  It really took a WHACK!

The power supply as far as I can tell works fine.  It's been used daily since Christmas day. I've never seen or heard the cooling fan spin, so don't know if it works.

I can still return the power supply to Amazon through the end of January as an exchange. Amazon has been great for returns.  What should I do?  What would you do?

DentedBox.thumb.jpg.dc5b2144e884e7edc5788af26842e912.jpg

the fan won't spin unless needed. most of the time it will be off.

If it is the configuration you have in your profile, there are good chances it will actually never need to spin.

there's very good chances the PSU is fine but... i would still return it to amazon personally. you pay for a new, pristine product. And i never like the idea of tall capacitors getting wiggled by dropping the PSU, even if they are glued to everything around them.

More a matter of principle than necesity 🙂 and someone may benefit from it as a cheaper, working B stock, who knows.

If you’re in the US and can do a typical Amazon exchange, I would probably swap it out leaving the cables and send the dented version back. The PSU is probably fine and if there was going to be an issue I think you would have seen it right away. Nevertheless why be reminded of this moment every time you see the scratch?  If Amazon will ship you the replacement now and you can send the old back later, that’s a fairly easy maneuver for peace of mind. Also not nice they packed that. Should not have happened. 

I would return it if it was my PSU.  There are enough solder joints and several other significant parts that can be damaged from impact.  Giving the entire system is based around the PSU, I'd personally want on that was as reliable as possible.

Edited by Latharion

The decision not to exchange has been made - not by me though.  When I clicked on the PSU link, a 404 error wrapped in a cute dog appeared.  More searching indicates they no longer have in stock. This was the 2021 model and comes with a 10 year warranty.  That's fine. I have used Corsair warranty before and the process was totally fine. They really take good care of their customers.  I'm hoping the PSU will work fine for years and years.

AmazonSorryBarkley.jpg.479a36533ba5f9e2989d8e3714bebe98.jpg

you have to go to your past orders page to open a support ticket on the PSU order ^^

If the model is not in stock they will have to offer you one similar.