Corsair Community

iCUE Lighting Setup rotation has no affect on fan lighting

Hello everyone, 

I have 9 QL fans set in Corsair's 5000D case, the front 3 fans has the button one physically mounted wrongly.

I went into iCUE and tried to rotate the lightening affect through the lightning setup to match the lightning profiles but it seems to have no affect.

I've done this and tried both static and dynamic affects.

Any suggestion?

image0.jpeg

Video.gif

the indication LED will not move on the fan when you do the orientation setup. it is just here to show you where the base LED is, and you then rotate its position in software, only on the iCUE interface.

like, give the bottom one a 90° turn in iCUE. on the fan, the led will stay where it is, but when you resume the lighting display, the effect should be rotated correctly.

... or just take a screwdriver and rotate the fan to the correct orientation ^^ that solves everything too 😛 it is very quick to do on the 5000D if if they aren't mounted to a radiator

7 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the indication LED will not move on the fan when you do the orientation setup. it is just here to show you where the base LED is, and you then rotate its position in software, only on the iCUE interface.

like, give the bottom one a 90° turn in iCUE. on the fan, the led will stay where it is, but when you resume the lighting display, the effect should be rotated correctly.

... or just take a screwdriver and rotate the fan to the correct orientation ^^ that solves everything too 😛 it is very quick to do on the 5000D if if they aren't mounted to a radiator

lol I know, i wish its that easy but i got the pump with hard tubing mounted to that cursed fan 😂.

I've tried rotating the lightning on fan through iCUE. No go 😆

The "lighting rotation" is for point of origin or on inter-fan moving effects, but it can't determine the directional flow.  This is most often used to make all fans in group appear to pass the lighting in a specific direction, but it also can be used to deliberately modify the effect.  You can 'reverse' some/all of your QL fans to make Ping do a "pull through" effect rather strictly linear.  This is an easy one to demonstrate what the rotation is actually doing.  Where you can get twisted up is not all effects will "be proper" with the same orientation once you start turning things in the software.

If you are still having issues, you might need to be more specific about what effect you are using on the QL.  Most of the complaints we see on this pertain to wanting the infinity effect to do something it cannot.  

Edited by c-attack

16 hours ago, c-attack said:

The "lighting rotation" is for point of origin or on inter-fan moving effects, but it can't determine the directional flow.  This is most often used to make all fans in group appear to pass the lighting in a specific direction, but it also can be used to deliberately modify the effect.  You can 'reverse' some/all of your QL fans to make Ping do a "pull through" effect rather strictly linear.  This is an easy one to demonstrate what the rotation is actually doing.  Where you can get twisted up is not all effects will "be proper" with the same orientation once you start turning things in the software.

If you are still having issues, you might need to be more specific about what effect you are using on the QL.  Most of the complaints we see on this pertain to wanting the infinity effect to do something it cannot.  

Than you man for taking the time to explain. I understand now how it works and it seems there is no way around it. Gotta go in and physically rotate that fan.  

I wish that Corsair would enable such a feature for situation like this. 

What it can help with is simple directional flow when one section/panel of fans has a forced different orientation than the preceding fans.  Easy example is something like a Lian Li O11 with QL on top as exhaust and bottom as intake.  All the fans are positioned in the exact same orientation (label side up, wires on MB side), but the problem is the user is going to program either a top 1-2-3, bottom 4-5-6 (or the reverse) and expect it to seamless jump from one panel to the next.  It is that origin point (bottom of the fan) that doesn't align with visual expectation.  You have the same issue in close proximity with front intake and top exhaust fans.  The effect will finish at the top of fan 3 (front panel) and then resume on at the bottom of fan 4 (top panel) when we want it to pick up at the closest point of contact.  That is something fan rotation can help with with and your rotate the top fan dot 2x around to be opposite the front.  Now the effect will start at the closest point.  

There are some ways to mitigate less than perfect alignment.  One is to run separate instances of the same effect.  So rather than run infinity 1-6, you run one instance for 1-3 and a second for 4-6.  This will prevent the effect from crossing the orientation boundary and may be more visually pleasing.  Also, some of the effects do have directional arrows to let you change flow direction and if you have a Corsair KB you can design custom waves on the KB with a 360 deg angle choice, then transfer to the library and to the fans.  You won't see your angle (name the curve with the measurement), but this will allow you to create some atypical effects that can mask any visual imperfections.  These are not perfect solutions and any time you use multiple planes of viewing there is going to be some differences.  

All that said, if you have one fan in the middle of 3 that is physically rotated 90 degrees compared to its neighbor(s), do your self a favor and rotate back into alignment with the others.  That will be a regular headache.