Corsair Community

Why are my fans from my AIO water cooling so loud?

So I have the H1001 Platinum and all of a sudden it started to be extremely loud and hasn't stopped since. As soon as I turn on the PC they start to be extremely loud. As soon as I'm on my desktop, it stops for about 1 minute and then there is a noise as if it were getting louder, then it suddenly stops, is briefly quiet and then the fan starts to spin extremely loudly. I have done all the updates so bios and firmware update. Then there was an error message when booting up where it said "CPU Fan error". I fixed that by setting everything to ignore in the bios and not to monitor. However, the fan is still noisy. The fan profiles are all set to quiet. My CPU is also in the normal temperature range, so overheating cannot be the reason.

image.png.c25eb19562d844cfa68e47815b2af8c0.png

image.thumb.png.663a8e39a49882215ce18cf0e635fd87.png

The cpu connector is in the right slot.

And everything is tight, the dust has also been removed. But the cooling has been around for a few years now.

8°C coolant temperature and fans spinning at supersonic speeds seems to be an indication that you are running another hardware monitoring software in the background that interferes with iCUE, like HWinfo64 or Aida64.

Try closing these (or disabling Corsair support in them), then restart the corsair servoce (or restart the PC). See if it fixes the issue.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

8°C coolant temperature and fans spinning at supersonic speeds seems to be an indication that you are running another hardware monitoring software in the background that interferes with iCUE, like HWinfo64 or Aida64.

Try closing these (or disabling Corsair support in them), then restart the corsair servoce (or restart the PC). See if it fixes the issue.

isn't it anything strange in that pic???   

11056 rpm in silent mode??????

my fans on "extreme" can reach 1600 rpm.....   there is something wrong I think.... 🙄

Immagine 2022-01-17 194954.png

19 hours ago, zultan said:

isn't it anything strange in that pic???   

Aside from a coolant temperature 30C below the case environment and fans spinning 10x faster than there maximum?  As mentioned your simultaneous running HWiNFO is corrupting the data as they fight for access to the same devices. If you are going run HWiNFO you need to disable monitoring of Corsair internal devices, like the AIO, Commander fan controllers, Corsair PSU, etc. 

The presets are like any other with a Temp X = Fan Speed Y graph. The problem is they don’t show you the control points so you can understand the behavior. You are closing in on 40C coolant temperature so the fans are speeding up toward maximum. That is the default 100% mark for the presets. 

1) Create your own curve using the + in the cooling tab. A graph will appear below.

2) Go to the shape tools in the corner and select the second one from the left. This is a copy of the Quiet preset. 

3) Change the “sensor” control variable to H150i Pro Temperature. This coolant temp and the proper control variable for the AIO and the curve temp range. 

4) Now that you can see it, you can make small changes to baseline or maximum speed. This always affected by your room environment, case design/layout, and hardware so there is no such thing as a universal preset. If you are idling at 37C coolant, you likely will want to move the 100% line up closer to 47C. +1C to coolant = +1C to CPU temp so trying to reduce idle coolant temp by 1-2C doesn’t have much purpose. You can raise the floor of the graph as well. 

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

Aside from a coolant temperature 30C below the case environment and fans spinning 10x faster than there maximum?  As mentioned your simultaneous running HWiNFO is corrupting the data as they fight for access to the same devices. If you are going run HWiNFO you need to disable monitoring of Corsair internal devices, like the AIO, Commander fan controllers, Corsair PSU, etc. 

The presets are like any other with a Temp X = Fan Speed Y graph. The problem is they don’t show you the control points so you can understand the behavior. You are closing in on 40C coolant temperature so the fans are speeding up toward maximum. That is the default 100% mark for the presets. 

1) Create your own curve using the + in the cooling tab. A graph will appear below.

2) Go to the shape tools in the corner and select the second one from the left. This is a copy of the Quiet preset. 

3) Change the “sensor” control variable to H150i Pro Temperature. This coolant temp and the proper control variable for the AIO and the curve temp range. 

4) Now that you can see it, you can make small changes to baseline or maximum speed. This always affected by your room environment, case design/layout, and hardware so there is no such thing as a universal preset. If you are idling at 37C coolant, you likely will want to move the 100% line up closer to 47C. +1C to coolant = +1C to CPU temp so trying to reduce idle coolant temp by 1-2C doesn’t have much purpose. You can raise the floor of the graph as well. 

I was not in idle. I was running OCCT when I took that screen to show my fans at "extreme" speed

that's idle.    and as you can see I am running hwmonitor and icue together without any struggle

Immagine 2022-01-19 014654.png

when you close HWmonitor you often have to restart the corsair service to restore communication properly.

What I also noticed is that if I set the fans to monitor in the bios and not to ignore, the error CPU fan error appears when booting up. Only when I put it back to ignore in the BIOS does it start up.

1 hour ago, Mr.Krane said:

Well, it shows me different values now, namely a

temperature of: 26.40 degrees.

Fan #1: 422 RPM

Fan #2: 1562 RPM

Pump: 1965 RPM,

but the fans are still extremely loud

it looks unusual that one fan is running at lowest speed and one at maximum speed.

my three fans all run mostly at the same speed.   if fans increase speed it's because the cooling liquid is warming up.

what are you doing with the pc when fans spin up?  anything intensive?

there is no other reason unless the aio is defective.  was it working fine before?

did you made any software/hardware change?

have you tried removing and re installing icue?

Edited by zultan

@zultanWhen booting up, they are already loud after I have logged in, they become quieter for a moment and then after a minute they start up again. Yes, it worked great before, I didn't make any software or hardware changes either, it just started right away the day before everything was fine the next day when booting up the volume started. But I can try to reinstall the software

• Like 1

It looks like there are a couple of overlapping issues here. 

1) Garbage data. That is from the interaction with HWiNFO/AIDA. That appears to be sorted but anytime you see impossible values (10,000 rpm) this is likely in play. 

2) One fan stuck at maximum and locked fan controller - This happens to the Platinum/XT coolers every once in a while. The fix is to force load the firmware for the AIO. Check for update -> (none) -> force update. This is almost always successful but if the software doesn’t detect the cooler, then you can’t do this. Again, HWiNFO and AIDA can cause usb disruptions. You need to uninstall while you are trouble shooting. 

3) CPU boot error - This one has me concerned.  There is no valid reason for this. The MB is doing its job and telling you the cooler is not talking back and this is reason to start a support ticket with Corsair. 

• Like 1