Corsair Community

Brand new Corsair RM850x making a lot of noise - Normal?

Hi guys,

New build today. I noticed about an hour or so after or so a noise coming from the RM 850x:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RaRyqWmYKuUu1Q6w9 (Captured on my phone).

It almost sounds like a Hard Drive seeking sound, almost like a grinding static noise. It's intermittent but doesn't seem to be there when I'm in the BIOS. Only when I'm in windows.

I tried restoring ''optimized defaults" in the BIOS in the case there is a setting driving it to no avail. It's not the graphic's card's coil whine as I unplugged the cables to check, Definitely the PSU.

Is this normal, as right now, it's the loudest part of the build. I'm using the Meshify 2 Case there is a foam pads underneath the PSU, so it's not vibration.

My parts:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VBxz8J

that's coil whine to me. it will vary with load on the computer as you may imagine.

sometimes it comes from the active PFC circuit, and can be due to something else in the same electrical circuit, like a dodgy phone charger or something like that. if somewhere you have a power cable with a ferrite core, it's worth giving it a shot and plugging the PSU with it.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:16 PM, LeDoyen said:

that's coil whine to me. it will vary with load on the computer as you may imagine.

sometimes it comes from the active PFC circuit, and can be due to something else in the same electrical circuit, like a dodgy phone charger or something like that. if somewhere you have a power cable with a ferrite core, it's worth giving it a shot and plugging the PSU with it.

I've tried the power cable from my old Seasonic PSU to no avail. Seems about the same. Mostly happens closer to idle but it's very haphazard.

I can hear the coil while from the GPU but this also sounds like a bearing issue, almost like a failed bearing.

the fan shouldn't be spinning at all unless you're loading the PSU like crazy. At idle it should be off.

You could mount the PSU with the fan pointing up since the shroud is open, that will help the PSU run even cooler (heat will not rise towards the PCB and won't trigger the fan to spin, if it ever did).

i have an RM850i.  I know that it´s a different psu but it´s completely silent.

I don't think it's a normal sound. even though it's coil whine it's quite annoying.

I would hate that.  I never had any psu from any brand so noisy.

Thanks guys. Im going to RMA it.

The fan is spinning and there is no real load in this pc except for 3070ti. Even without the GPU plugged in, it still spins.
A 750W would be overkill let alone a 850.

It's difficult to record with a phone, but it's very loud. Easily the loudest component in th entire build.

Do any of you know if I'm required to send the PSU cables along side the PSU itself? It would be a little annoying to re-cable so I'd prefer to send the box.

you can try and ask corsair help desk but usually when you rma anything you should return it just as you got it,

with all its accessories.