Corsair Community

How to test if my pump is dead out of box?

Hi all, I just purchased the iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT for a new build, but am having cooling issues. I have checked many other forum posts and tried troubleshooting myself and it's leading me to believe that the pump is dead but I'm not sure how to test / confirm that.

Attached is a picture of my CPU temp during post. The pump and heat sinks around the CPU become incredibly hot, and after powering down, I can reach through the fans to feel the radiator is cooler than room temp. (The fans as part of the AIO all run at full speed without issue) 

While holding onto the pump during post I don't feel any significant movement, small vibration but I suspect that's from the fans moving at full speed  

Maybe it's not relevant, but although the SATA and Micro USB power are connected, the LEDs on the pump do not turn on during start up. 

I purchased and installed the appropriate standoffs for my 12th gen Intel CPU (1700 I believe)

Do I need to be using a standard CPU during setup and switch to this AIO, or do I need to replace the AIO? 

I tried to provid a picture of the install with all relevant pieces (Sata Power, CPU Header, Micro USB, fans on radiator) 

Let me know if I can provide any further info, and thanks for all the help! 

20220115_093313.jpg

20220115_102419.jpg

If on cold boot you can see the CPU temp go skipping up at a quick rate (50...55...60...65...  ...80...85..etc.) all inside 1 minute, then you do not have water flow.  No other condition is capable of causing a smooth, rapid rise like that.  Once you have done it and the coolant in the CPU block hits 85C or whatever temp, then on any subsequent attempt to boot you will start at 85C.  You have to wait for the coolant to naturally cool down with the power off before you can get another attempt.  Something like bad contact between CPU and cold plate will result in spiky CPU temps as voltage is applied and removed.  No flow results in the CPU temp floor continuing to rise.  

I can see the SATA for the pump is connected.  That is the only one that matters.  The tach wire and usb just provide data.  They are not required for the AIO to function and the pump, fans, and RGB should all light up when connected via SATA.  If ALL of those things are out, then you know there is a problem with the power delivery.  If you have fan speed, pump LEDs, and the high temp, it is near certain this is a dead pump and you should proceed toward a replacement or return.  

Edited by c-attack

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

If on cold boot you can see the CPU temp go skipping up at a quick rate (50...55...60...65...  ...80...85..etc.) all inside 1 minute, then you do not have water flow.  No other condition is capable of causing a smooth, rapid rise like that.  Once you have done it and the coolant in the CPU block hits 85C or whatever temp, then on any subsequent attempt to boot you will start at 85C.  You have to wait for the coolant to naturally cool down with the power off before you can get another attempt.  Something like bad contact between CPU and cold plate will result in spiky CPU temps as voltage is applied and removed.  No flow results is the CPU temp floor continuing to rise.  

I can see the SATA for the pump is connected.  That is the only one that matters.  The tach wire and usb just provide data.  They are not required for the AIO to function and the pump, fans, and RGB should all light up when connected via SATA.  If ALL of those things are out, then you know there is a problem with the power delivery.  If you have fan speed, pump LEDs, and the high temp, it is near certain this is a dead pump and you should proceed toward a replacement or return.  

Thanks for the info. It really does sound like a water flow / pump issue then. I opened a support ticket with Corsair for a replacement. I'll follow up here if that works. Thanks again! 

I had a similar issue, on my ASUS build, except mine was throwing a boot issue, "CPU Fan speed detection error", guessed the pump was not running, CPU getting hot quickly. This was after a successful first/second boot and extended use last night during the build process. 

I did a bit of troubleshooting, checking all the cables (been burned before) and noticed (and did not like) a couple of things...

1. The CPU-FAN connector, the one from the pump with a single wire, was possibly a trouble-spot, not making good contact. That resolved out, although that connector could and probably should be improved.

2. Next I looked at the Commander core and noticed the 24 pin cable (coming from the pump) was partially out. This connector has no lock mechanism and I guess as I was moving and positioning the commander the cable must have partially come out. I reset the connector, and this seemed to have fixed my issue; at least for now and time will tell. This connector also can be improved, with a better connector and a locking facility.

Good luck with your build.