Corsair Community

Two different TwinX, both may need RMA

Kyleb

RamGuy,

I have two machines running Corsair TwinX modules, which are plaqued with problems. The older has been an on going battle for a while now and the other, most recent upgrade just went black during my gaming adventures. I really hope it's just a setting I over-looked and maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Oldest Machine first:

Abit NF7 w/ 2500+ @ 333FSB

TwinX512-2700LLPT 2-2-2-5 @2.7v

: XMS2705v1.2

Antec 450watt

This system will post and I have tested each stick alone and together. One stick fails test 4 and 5 with a bit over 900 errors, both fail test 4 and 5 with over 1700 errors. Same stick in separate system fails the same tests. Both systems are plagued with software crashes, sudden deaths and system reboots.

Lastest Machine:

Abit IC7-G w/ P4c 2.6 @ 800FSB

TwinX1024-3200C2PT by SPD @ 2.7v

: XMS3202v5.1

Antec 450watt

My latest headache just died during a gaming session, everything seemed to ran fine until about four days ago. Since then the machine gives me one long beep pause and continues. I have tried reseating the ram, clearing the cmos but it still wont post with these modules, singles or in pair. I cant test this ram as they also will not post an asus p4c800-e box either. ** I have been able to boot the ic7 using the ddr333 from the above machine using 5:4.

[edit: The IC7-G has been running for a couple of years with TwinX512-3200LL without any failures.

I have no clue what I should do, hope you can help me here.

Thanks,

Kyle

• Corsair Employees

With the XMS2700LL modules please try these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing them in another system to be sure.

And I would use these settings.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

With the XMS3200C2

Please do the same thing but please use these settings and test them one module at a time.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (Assuming you have an 800 FSB CPU)

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I finished testing my modules one at a time and so far I have poor results from one of each type ddr. One of the XMS2700LL returns about 957 errors on the first pass. Of the XMS3200C2, one module still keeps the IC7-g from boot, halting with a beep code before bios posts.

• Corsair Employees

I have no problem replacing your modules, but it would be rare to have 2 sets of modules fail in 2 systems at the same time. That might suggest some type of power problem in your house. Do you have electrical storms in your area? If so I would suggest using a APC or certified surge protector on your systems. If you have voltage surges frequently an APC would be suggested to keep the power consistent.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employees
Lets get the modules replaced and see what happens, but if these 2 systems display this same problem later I would suspect some other problem may be causing this issue. But please let me know how you make out!

Archived