Corsair Community

How do I factory reset my SP120 RGB PRO fans?

When I first got my SP120 RGB Pro fans, I thought they were great. The second I turned my PC, they looked amazing. I downloaded iCUE just to see what it was like. As soon as I installed iCUE, the colours changed and I could no longer get the colours looking as deep and colourful as I did during the factory settings. The lighting looked more white than with factory settings, and the colours were less colourful. Also, when turning my PC on, the fan colours remained white until I logged into my PC and iCUE loaded up, whereas before, as soon as my PC turned on, it was colourful.

I read someone having a similar problem here - 

The suggestion as a fix was to disconnect the USB and this would factory reset the fans.

I turned of my PC, disconnected the USB from the lighting node and turned my pc back on. I have given it a long time and the fans have still not reverted back to their colourful selves.

I've uninstalled iCUE from my PC as I just want the fans back to the way they were before iCUE. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to revert the fans back?

Thanks

Are you sure you’re not confusing two different lighting effects?  Most devices have a rainbow effect (spiral or wave) saved to device out of the box. This is the “hardware lighting” that runs any time CUE is not active, including boot and shutdown. When you install CUE you gain access to additional lighting effects. More recent versions of CUE 4 apply the watercolor spectrum as the software lighting effect, which has a white base with various color waves. Of course this can be changed, selectively applied, or removed entirely. 

When CUE is active, the “lighting effects” tab is in control. To set the lighting for use without CUE, select in the Hardware Lighting. Note you will have fewer options in hardware mode as the effect must be able to be stored and processed from the lighting controller. You are likely looking for spiral rainbow, rainbow wave, and rainbow channel in the lighting presets. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, c-attack said:

Are you sure you’re not confusing two different lighting effects?  Most devices have a rainbow effect (spiral or wave) saved to device out of the box. This is the “hardware lighting” that runs any time CUE is not active, including boot and shutdown. When you install CUE you gain access to additional lighting effects. More recent versions of CUE 4 apply the watercolor spectrum as the software lighting effect, which has a white base with various color waves. Of course this can be changed, selectively applied, or removed entirely. 

When CUE is active, the “lighting effects” tab is in control. To set the lighting for use without CUE, select in the Hardware Lighting. Note you will have fewer options in hardware mode as the effect must be able to be stored and processed from the lighting controller. You are likely looking for spiral rainbow, rainbow wave, and rainbow channel in the lighting presets. 

I tried all the options in Hardware Lighting to make it match what it was before downloading iCUE, all without success. Whatever was preloaded to the lighting node before I got iCUE, that's what I want my fans back to. But for whatever reason, I can't seem to get that to happen. It's as if I've created an irreparable problem by installing iCUE.

There are no secret lighting effects and you are literally chasing a unicorn.  Hardware lighting capability varies by device.  For the SP-Pro, you are looking for rainbow wave or rainbow channel as the hardware lighting effect.  You will need to quit CUE to see how it is actually displayed.  The "software version" of an effect previewed on your hardware while CUE is open does not always match the actual hardware lighting.  The post you linked is more than 3 years old and comes from a time when the "demo mode" rainbow channel was not a selectable effect.  It is now.  You can see those are two different lighting patterns, not a brighter/darker version of the same thing.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

Ignore c-attacks response.  I know exactly what you are talking about.  I downloaded CUE last night and messed around with it only to find that it wasn't keeping the colors on reboot or going to sleep like it did when it was right out of the box.  I also tried to do what some people said and unplugged them with power and with out, to no avail.  Should I figure out how to do 'factory reset' I'll post it here.  If you could do that same that would be awesome.

Tycho

• Sad 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, c-attack said:

When CUE is active, the “lighting effects” tab is in control. To set the lighting for use without CUE, select in the Hardware Lighting. Note you will have fewer options in hardware mode as the effect must be able to be stored and processed from the lighting controller

1 hour ago, Tychoash2 said:

I think I found out how to change it.  Go into Lighting Node Code > Hardware Lighting Channel 1 > Lighting Type.  This says that it will be the default setting when iCUE is not running.

That's brilliant.  Unfortunately, that is not what the original poster was inquiring about. You may need more than a few hours using the software before you start issuing reprimands.  

• Like 1

The point of my comment was to try and help him.  In a thread similar to this one you were mocking the person for looking to reset it to factory default. I re-read it and your mocking post was from 2018 and your tone was different in this thread. My apologies.  Though I still would like to know how to 'reset' them. 🙂

There really isn't a reset.  There are two issues in play.

1) When you first connect the fans and there is no software present, they will default to some rainbow themed pattern.  In the old threads, this was an unavailable 'demo mode' that is now available as "Rainbow Channel".  However, when CUE first loads it will go blank slate so each user can set their own patterns for both software "lighting effects" and non-software "hardware lighting effects".  This is further complicated by the fan type and not all fans show the same effect out of the box.  So to get it back to what you were seeing before, you need to choose one of the 'rainbow' options in hardware lighting and see which one matches what you first saw.

2) However, it's not quite so straightforward.  When you are choosing a hardware lighting effect, CUE 4 will preview that effect for you on the actual hardware as a helpful measure for gauging its appearance.  Unfortunately, this is not what you will see.  It previews the "software mode" because that is what it knows the effect to be, but displayed hardware mode will vary by fan when they have different numbers of LEDs.  Something like color wave is an easy example where software mode is 1 wave per fan and hardware mode is 1 wave per set/channel.  Ring based fans (QL and LL) will often have very different appearances because HW mode can't run the more complex effects off the controller MCU.  

This means the only way to really see what the lighting will be is to set an effect in HW Lighting, then quit CUE and see what you get.  If don't know what fans you are using, but one obvious misnomer is setting "spiral rainbow" in HW Lighting will give you actual HW Rainbow channel for QL/LL fans.  This is what my QL default to out of the box.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1