Corsair Community

Can't control fans 1, 2 and 3

Hi, this is probably asked somewhat often but I couldn't find anything that helped me so here I am,

I just built a new system, and am configuring fan curves in iCue, although I cannot seem to control fans 1, 2 and 3, either with a custom curve or with the presets (quiet, balanced, extreme, etc.); 4, 5 and 6 are fine.

I am using the Corsair Commander Core which came with my H150i Elite Capellix, with fans 1, 2 and 3 being the 3 SP120 fans that came preinstalled in the 220t Airflow and 4, 5 and 6 being the 3 ML120s which came with the cooler.

I have tried force updating the cooler but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Alex

image.thumb.png.591a368b30269554893100e01a34696c.png

1 hour ago, AlexO22 said:

I am using the Corsair Commander Core which came with my H150i Elite Capellix, with fans 1, 2 and 3 being the 3 SP120 fans that came preinstalled in the 220t Airflow

Fans 1-2-3 are SP-PRO fans with DC motors and voltage controlled.  The Commander Core is a PWM controller, so it supplies 12v at all times and will result in max speed for any 3 pin DC fan.  You'll need to move them to the motherboard for speed control.  RGB side unaffected.  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, c-attack said:

Fans 1-2-3 are SP-PRO fans with DC motors and voltage controlled.  The Commander Core is a PWM controller, so it supplies 12v at all times and will result in max speed for any 3 pin DC fan.  You'll need to move them to the motherboard for speed control.  RGB side unaffected.  

Thank you very much, I assume I cannot control them through iCue at all now? (not that I could before, but it would be nice if I didn't have to go into BIOS)

There is no way to control the speed of a DC fan from a PWM fan controller. PWM controllers use 12v at all times and adjust speed through a different mechanic (pulse width modulation). DC motors need the voltage reduced to lower speed (5v, 7v, 9v, etc). 

The other option is to replace the DC motor fans with a PWM version. The SP-Elite is the PWM version of the SP-Pro you have now and almost all other Corsair RGB fans are PWM.