Corsair Community

H80I v2 Fan noise issue

o/

I have had this H80i V2 for a good while now with no issues, but recently I upgraded to an LG Ultragear 27" 144hz monitor and the fans are getting very shouty when gaming. Temperatures are perfectly normal though, around 47c under load, 31c idle with a custom fan curve set. The noise for me, is unacceptable. I've attached the curve I use.

I've been considering getting some replacement fans for the radiator, specifically the Silent Wings 3 from BeQuiet! I already have 3 of these as case fans and they're fantastic. The industrial Noctua fans are also an option too and simply replacing the cooler is not off the cards either; The NZXT Kraken 63 being my primary choice (I won't let Corsair bully me into buying updated hardware because they can't be bothered to support it in their loathsome software but I digress.

I thought I'd post here incase someone has any ideas that might help, to save me from splashing out if I don't need to.

System is as follows:
i7 8700k
EVGA GTX 1080
Windows 10 installed on Samsung Evo m.2
x3 BeQuet Silent Wings 3 case fans on the front
16gb HyperX DDR4 RAM @ 2800

iCUE_BcEeBmbHaA.png

You are likely to have trouble with the Silent Wings 2/3 PWM fans on that H80i v2's controller.  Those fans have some PWM idiosyncrasies.  I would suggest testing one of your current SW3 (if PWM) on that controller before buying more.  If you go for the Noctua Industrial, make sure you are looking at the 2000 PWM 12v variant.  The 3000 rpm version is not just more top end 'you might use in reserve'.  It has different characteristics and larger current requirements.  Not a good match for most AIO controllers.

That said, I am a little concerned if your fans on the H80i are getting loud now.  While I hate those stock fans without reservation, the curve you have programmed above should keep them below 1200 rpm at all times.  If that's not happening then there is something weird going on or you are starting to run into cooler problems.  The curve you have programmed is more appropriate for CPU temperature.  Your H80i v2 Temp is the correct control variable, but that is coolant temp and should range from Room Temp +4C to another +10-15C when under extended gaming conditions (factoring in increased case ambient temp).  That puts the typical range from 25C-45C.  If you are over 50C and most certainly hitting 60C the cooler is nearing an end.  In short, your emergency fan ramp at the end should be at 60C and if you are hitting it, you need to start looking for that next AIO.

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

You are likely to have trouble with the Silent Wings 2/3 PWM fans on that H80i v2's controller.  Those fans have some PWM idiosyncrasies.  I would suggest testing one of your current SW3 (if PWM) on that controller before buying more.  If you go for the Noctua Industrial, make sure you are looking at the 2000 PWM 12v variant.  The 3000 rpm version is not just more top end 'you might use in reserve'.  It has different characteristics and larger current requirements.  Not a good match for most AIO controllers.

That said, I am a little concerned if your fans on the H80i are getting loud now.  While I hate those stock fans without reservation, the curve you have programmed above should keep them below 1200 rpm at all times.  If that's not happening then there is something weird going on or you are starting to run into cooler problems.  The curve you have programmed is more appropriate for CPU temperature.  Your H80i v2 Temp is the correct control variable, but that is coolant temp and should range from Room Temp +4C to another +10-15C when under extended gaming conditions (factoring in increased case ambient temp).  That puts the typical range from 25C-45C.  If you are over 50C and most certainly hitting 60C the cooler is nearing an end.  In short, your emergency fan ramp at the end should be at 60C and if you are hitting it, you need to start looking for that next AIO.

Appreciate the detailed response!

The temps seem to be doing fine, not really drifting over 45-50c. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the case is an NZXT H440, the airflow is excellent with the padding helping to keep some noise down.

As for the RPM, it definitely seems to be reaching 1200-1300 rpm with some wiggle room but the temperatures are stable and don't seem to be getting out of control. As you said, I'm concerned about the behaviour of the fans as it didn't seem right compared to how it was when first installed but I'm unsure if it's a software issue, or a hardware fault. I'm not seeing any extra options inside icue for temp/control parameters and when I go into the settings tab it says no settings found. Could it be icue just being the piece of **** it is? In which case would letting my bios control the curve and copying my curve to there?

PWM curves are not always perfectly linear.  Those old SP-OEM fans have a max somewhere near 2700 rpm and it may be 50% is not really 1350 rpm.  That's OK and something that can be programmed for.  The GTX/v2 coolers don't last forever, so I was more concerned you were getting up near 60C on the coolant (H80i Temp).  That would be a clear warning sign the cooler is fading.

I would not move the fans to BIOS for control.  That will force you onto CPU temp as a control variable and the result will be a lot of needless fan speed shifting.  Another approach to take is set a fixed speed prior to gaming (or whatever).  This keeps the fans on the desired mark.  No one's cooler/CPU overheats because you locked the fans at 1200 rpm vs 1400.  That is not a significant difference in speed and will not have a significant impact on temperature.  

Edited by c-attack

Posted (edited)

So you think

13 minutes ago, c-attack said:

PWM curves are not always perfectly linear.  Those old SP-OEM fans have a max somewhere near 2700 rpm and it may be 50% is not really 1350 rpm.  That's OK and something that can be programmed for.  The GTX/v2 coolers don't last forever, so I was more concerned you were getting up near 60C on the coolant (H80i Temp).  That would be a clear warning sign the cooler is fading.

I would not move the fans to BIOS for control.  That will force you onto CPU temp as a control variable and the result will be a lot of needless fan speed shifting.  Another approach to take is set a fixed speed prior to gaming (or whatever).  This keeps the fans on the desired mark.  No one's cooler/CPU overheats because you locked the fans at 1200 rpm vs 1400.  That is not a significant difference in speed and will not have a significant impact on temperature.  

So you think this is normal behaviour for the temps? This would seem to suggest the noise is rather out of my control without getting new fans, do you have any you could recommend? Besides the ML ones that is. Or perhaps an alternative curve I could try in addition unless the one I have is fine.

Edited by CelestialFlea

I guess that depends on what you see on you end.  If the fans are changing RPM frequently (pulsing, ramping, etc)., then the fan controller on the H80i v2 is probably going out and then moving to the MB for control is a better option.  If you just don't like the sound of those fans at 1200 rpm, then you probably should look at another fan option.  However, GTX/v2 coolers don't last forever and I would not invest much of anything in it at this point.  If you have been thinking of an update to a new cooler (one that probably has included fans), I would assess the economics of it versus a pair a new fans.  

Edited by c-attack