Corsair Community

Commander Pro, Core & RGB hub?

Hello, new builder here. I've just finished my 1st PC build using the 500d RGB SE case , and everything's working fine however having issues with my fan setup - I have 3 case fans and 3 fans as part of the H150i Elite Cappelix CPU Cooler. I have the 3 AIO fans connected to the supplied commander core, 3 case fans connected to the commander pro which came as part of my case and all 6 connected to the RGB hub which also came with my case which is connected to the commander pro via the RGB input. Only seem to be able to address the 3 AIO fans in iCue - Do I need to connect all the fans & RGB into the commander pro instead?? This means I do not require to use the RGB hub or the commander pro, just the commander core?

Thanks

Pro devices (Commander and Lighting Node Pro) were the original devices.  They have 2 RGB channels each, but need an additional booster for 5v lighting current on fans.  That is the RGB Lighting Hub.  On later Core devices (Commander Core/XT, Lighting Node Core) that RGB 5v was placed into the controller, but of course there is no free lunch and it drops from 2 channels (or 2 x 6 fans) to 1 channel of fans only (1 x 6).   However, all of these controllers should work with all fans types, minus large numbers of QL fans on the Lighting Node Pro.

3 ML-Elite (OEM) fans from the AIO kit.  What are the other fan types?

The Commander Core and XT use an auto-detect protocol to measure LED count.  All other Corsair controllers are "dumb" and you must designate the fan type and number in the Lighting Set-up tab.  Be aware CUE allows you to lie, so if you have 6 QL fans and tell it you have 6 ML-Pro, only the first 24 LEDs of fan #1 will light up.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the quick reply attack.

The other fans are the included ones with the case - 3 x LL120.

I have connected them all to the commander core now and everything is working as it should and iCue has automatically differentiated between the different fan types - I just wasn’t sure if the case fans had to be connected to the commander pro instead or not. As the AIO fans operate dependant on CPU/coolant temp, I thought maybe having the case fans wired to the commander core too also meant they were dependant on the CPU temp and this would cause airflow issues at low temps. Thanks

So pretty much in simplest terms I’m going to strip out the RGB hub & commander pro as they’re pretty much redundant now & just keep the commander core in the case connected to all 6 fans - both RGB & Power. This will be alongside the AIO pump, usb to the mobo header and of course SATA power to drive it all. 

If you only have 6 fans, the Commander Core is all you need.  You have to use it for AIO power/control, so might as well keep the extra to a minimum.  That said, there is a fair amount of flexibility in how you set things up.  There is no fan=controller dependency, so in theory you can put 6 fans on the Com Core for RGB control and 6 completely different fans on the PWM side, while running their RGB wires to another controller and on and on.  

One other thing to check out.  The Com Core will automatically adjust lighting to deal with the two mixed fan LED counts (ML-Elite=8 and LL=16 LEDs).  Other controllers do not do this, so another reason to use the Commander Core.  However, not all effects can be represented perfectly.  LL fans have rings and ML-E do not.  You can't play pong across the 6.  You do have the ability to create separate lighting effects and apply them only to certain fans.  You may want to experiment with running Effect 1 for the ML-E and a different Effect 2 on the LL in front.  Even running two instances of the same moving effect may produce different results.  This is more about learning how the system works than any requirement to function.  If you tell it rainbow wave, they will all rainbow wave.  

• Like 1