Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB [16GB (2*8) + 16GB (2*8)] DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 memtest shows error if XMP profile turned on

I have recently discovered a problem with my computer where I get blue screens from time to time. and they are related to my Rams. I have tested my ram using Passmark Memtest86 and found some strange results.

• Test 1 with XMP Profile turned on : 8GB x 2 (16GB) = PASS
  • Test 2 with XMP Profile turned on : 8GB x 4 (32GB) = Failed
  • Test 3 with XMP Profile DISABLED : 8GB x 4 (32GB) = PASS

What could be the issue? Did I purchase the wrong rams for my build ?

• CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Mobo: X570 Aorus Pro Wifi 

MemtestResultCorsair.jpg

Are these from a single 4x8GB kit?  Or are you combining two different 2x8 kits?

On 1/7/2022 at 9:04 PM, c-attack said:

Are these from a single 4x8GB kit?  Or are you combining two different 2x8 kits?

Hi there, 1 bought 2 kits 2 x 8GB and both are same versions. 3600Mhz. Took all 4 and slotted in my motherboard but now having issues after turning on XMP profile.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Technobeard said:

Test one kit at a time at the rated specs and timings with XMP.

Yes mate, testing one kit (2x8GB) works perfectly without issues. Does it mean my kit only works for 2x8GB, not 4x8GB ?

• Administrators

A 2x8GB is just that - two 8GB sticks that have been tested together. They haven't been tested with the other kit. There's no way to guarantee compatibility between any 2 kits, even if they have the same version number and lot code.

Generally the XMP setting is kit specific, so when you populate all 4 slots with a 2 module XMP profile, it may cause a problem.  I don't want to speculate too much because I am strictly Intel and there are likely some different behaviors with AMD BIOS versions.  However, the next step would be the same regardless.  Write down the primary settings and any additional secondary timings you see from the XMP profile enabled for two.  This is usually some stuff like tRFC and a few others, but you also may want to leave those to the MB to auto set.  XMP disabled, 3600 MHz frequency, 18-22-42 entered, 1.35v DRAM voltage, and let the others auto set.  The board should account for the two extra modules on its IO/SA voltages, but this is where things get tricky and I don't know the Gigabyte behavior for their x570 boards.  You likely want to find an AMD and/or Gigabyte specific RAM overclocking guide to help find target values.  Combing two kits is almost never plug and play and requires you to manually set things up.  

Edited by c-attack

14 hours ago, Technobeard said:

A 2x8GB is just that - two 8GB sticks that have been tested together. They haven't been tested with the other kit. There's no way to guarantee compatibility between any 2 kits, even if they have the same version number and lot code.

yes mate, 2x8GB slotted into the motherboard. Did the diagnostics test with/without XMP default profile, no issue. If I add in another 2x8GB to make my total ram count to 32GB, it gives an error. The error only appears when XMP profile is turned on. Running all 4 rams standard on 2666Mhz don't have any issues/blue screens. I have no idea if the default xmp profile settings not meant for my ram/motherboard.

11 hours ago, c-attack said:

Generally the XMP setting is kit specific, so when you populate all 4 slots with a 2 module XMP profile, it may cause a problem.  I don't want to speculate too much because I am strictly Intel and there are likely some different behaviors with AMD BIOS versions.  However, the next step would be the same regardless.  Write down the primary settings and any additional secondary timings you see from the XMP profile enabled for two.  This is usually some stuff like tRFC and a few others, but you also may want to leave those to the MB to auto set.  XMP disabled, 3600 MHz frequency, 18-22-42 entered, 1.35v DRAM voltage, and let the others auto set.  The board should account for the two extra modules on its IO/SA voltages, but this is where things get tricky and I don't know the Gigabyte behavior for their x570 boards.  You likely want to find an AMD and/or Gigabyte specific RAM overclocking guide to help find target values.  Combing two kits is almost never plug and play and requires you to manually set things up.  

I have to agree with you mate. The XMP settings with the AMD Bios is really strange. I was planning to adjust some settings manually but no idea where and what to adjust. Give me some time (probably around 8-10 hours). I will go get the screenshots of my ram timings, settings and etc. Please help me out. Currently utilizing all 4 rams on 2666Mhz where i don't get any issues/blue screens.