Corsair Community

AX1600i cable issue

I believe I also have a cable issue.

Brand new, retail AX1600i from an authorized reseller, not a used Fleabay unit.

Installed unit last night, spent more than an hour dressing out the cables, powered it up and... nothing. Well, it did try to POST, I got 7F, 30, 00 on the POST LED, and then it shut off.

Unplugged all the cables from the PSU, did the Self-Test, green light came on, although the PSU fan did not spin.

Turned PSU off, reconnected all cables, tried again. Same 7F, 30, 00 and shut off. Turned PSU off, unplugged all except 24 pin ATX and CPU EPS12V cables from the PSU, turned PSU on, pressed chassis power button, 7F, 30, 00 and shut off.

Turned PSU off, unplugged CPU EPS12V cables from PSU, turned PSU on, pressed chassis power button and motherboard stayed on with POST code 00

(which it should as it has no CPU power). PSU fan was also spinning.

Turned PSU off, reconnected all other cables; PCI-E, SATA, peripheral, turned PSU on and pressed chassis power button and board stayed on, but still POST code 00. Turned PSU off, reconnected CPU cables, turned PSU on and pressed chassis power button, same POST codes and shut off.

Disconnected all AX1600i cables from motherboard, reconnected the AX1200 that I am replacing with the AX1600i. Turned AX1200 on, pressed chassis power button, PC booted into Windows and ran normally.

I read the other posts linked by the previous poster, and it appears the cable issue is not unique.

Hopefully, Corsair will respond to my support request in a timely manner and I can start using my new PSU.

• Corsair Employees
32 minutes ago, alk1 said:

I believe I also have a cable issue.

Brand new, retail AX1600i from an authorized reseller, not a used Fleabay unit.

Installed unit last night, spent more than an hour dressing out the cables, powered it up and... nothing. Well, it did try to POST, I got 7F, 30, 00 on the POST LED, and then it shut off.

Unplugged all the cables from the PSU, did the Self-Test, green light came on, although the PSU fan did not spin.

Turned PSU off, reconnected all cables, tried again. Same 7F, 30, 00 and shut off. Turned PSU off, unplugged all except 24 pin ATX and CPU EPS12V cables from the PSU, turned PSU on, pressed chassis power button, 7F, 30, 00 and shut off.

Turned PSU off, unplugged CPU EPS12V cables from PSU, turned PSU on, pressed chassis power button and motherboard stayed on with POST code 00

(which it should as it has no CPU power). PSU fan was also spinning.

Turned PSU off, reconnected all other cables; PCI-E, SATA, peripheral, turned PSU on and pressed chassis power button and board stayed on, but still POST code 00. Turned PSU off, reconnected CPU cables, turned PSU on and pressed chassis power button, same POST codes and shut off.

Disconnected all AX1600i cables from motherboard, reconnected the AX1200 that I am replacing with the AX1600i. Turned AX1200 on, pressed chassis power button, PC booted into Windows and ran normally.

I read the other posts linked by the previous poster, and it appears the cable issue is not unique.

Hopefully, Corsair will respond to my support request in a timely manner and I can start using my new PSU.

Make sure you are using only the cables that came with the AX1600i as the cables that came with the AX1200 are not compatible and you risk burning up components by attempting to boot with the incorrect cable being used. The behavior you are describing sounds like you are using old cables from your previous AX1200 with your new AX1600i.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

1 hour ago, Corsair Notepad said:

Make sure you are using only the cables that came with the AX1600i as the cables that came with the AX1200 are not compatible and you risk burning up components by attempting to boot with the incorrect cable being used. The behavior you are describing sounds like you are using old cables from your previous AX1200 with your new AX1600i.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Really? You presume I am stupid enough not to know that?

How about you help me resolve the issue?

Unlike the OP, I am not willing to spend another $100+ for a new cable set. If Corsair has such shoddy cables, why should I pay a premium for a sub-standard product.

Cannot get a response from "Customer Service".

Going to box up the AX1600i and return it for a refund.

what does everyone think I should buy to ensure a high quality unit that actually works, evga or seasonic?

just to be sure you opened a support ticket with them? because here is only a users forum, not an official support site, even if they do answer from time to time.

As for quality, it's not really brand specific. each brand has duds and great units. Never really liked the AXi.. too complex and in appearence (from the posts i see here) less reliable than HXI (that is hard to find these days).

EVGA and seasonic are both very reputable brands for PSUs, but just like corsair, the whole lineup is not necesarely outstanding

Edited by LeDoyen

• Administrators
15 hours ago, alk1 said:

Really? You presume I am stupid enough not to know that?

It's always best to start with the basics.

2 hours ago, alk1 said:

@Corsair Notepad

No answer? Typical.

1 hour ago, alk1 said:

Cannot get a response from "Customer Service".

Looking at your ticket, it's been ~37 hours since it was created. Please be patient with support.

45 minutes ago, Technobeard said:

It's always best to start with the basics.

Looking at your ticket, it's been ~37 hours since it was created. Please be patient with support.

Too late, already have RMA approved. AX1600i boxed and ready for return shipment. I do not have time to wait for unreliable support for an inferior product.

Unfortunate that Corsair has gone from a reliable brand (my AX1200 is 11 years old now, back when Corsair was a good brand) to what it is.