Corsair Community

H100i Elite Capellix

Can someone explain why anything that isn't a 4 pin pwm fan connection is getting blown up on my fan headers?? I got this cooler but the 360 version first and plugged it in as directed to my MSI MPG x570 pro carbon wifi mobo and had all other connections in as well. The problem I found is that the tach cord plugged into the cpu fan header as the instructions and many on the internet post is fine, IS NOT FINE! that cooler had all but a few led's on the pump header blow up! someone who can help please much appreciated. I have the 240 now and know I don't have to plug in the tach cord but also want to know why it isn't doable.

1 hour ago, TTHOMSON said:

The problem I found is that the tach cord plugged into the cpu fan header as the instructions and many on the internet post is fine, IS NOT FINE! that cooler had all but a few led's on the pump header blow up!

I am going to assume from the above you are having problems with the LEDs on the pump.  There is no connection (literally) between the tachometer wire and the pump LEDs.  The pump does not draw power from that header.  That header is 12v.  The RGB lighting is 5v and is delivered via the SATA/PSU to Commander Core -> pump via the mini-24 pin cable.  The tachometer cable is not required for any aspect of AIO operation.  It's sole purpose is to provide a pump speed to the BIOS for those that do not utilize CUE or as a way to satisfy the MB's CPU boot safety feature.  That is a one way path from Commander Core to MB.  

If you have lost control over some of the LEDs on the pump, contact Corsair Support.  That is extremely uncommon and points directly to some type of hardware issue.  

I would agree but have reason to believe that the fan header has been an issue for other harware that I tried previously- rgb fans from an aorus liquid cooler, and the rgb fans from the corsair 570 crystal series, neither of which would work with the 4 pin header but rather started to pop and smoke. Maybe my problem isn't related to the coolers but the led's performed fine without further explosion after I unplugged the tach cord for the corsair cooler. The rgb never lit on the fans for that cooler either even with sata 5 pin connected and the commander core plugged in as well. the case fans worked with the sata power cable so power isn't an issue, the case has a couple corsair controllers for fans before having the commander core but rgb didn't work in the new c core but it did in the older one with just a single colour. Nothing showed up in icue either. Where should I start?

Just now, TTHOMSON said:

I would agree but have reason to believe that the fan header has been an issue for other harware that I tried previously- rgb fans from an aorus liquid cooler, and the rgb fans from the corsair 570 crystal series, neither of which would work with the 4 pin header but rather started to pop and smoke. Maybe my problem isn't related to the coolers but the led's performed fine without further explosion after I unplugged the tach cord for the corsair cooler. The rgb never lit on the fans for that cooler either even with sata 5 pin connected and the commander core plugged in as well. the case fans worked with the sata power cable so power isn't an issue, the case has a couple corsair controllers for fans before having the commander core but rgb didn't work in the new c core but it did in the older one with just a single colour. Nothing showed up in icue either. Where should I start?

the case lights worked with sata*