Jump to content
Corsair Community

1ST RGB CORSAIR PC BUILD - NEED HELP/SUGGESTIONS


Recommended Posts

Happy New Year, guys! How's it going?

So I'm building my 1st PC here in Brazil and I have a bunch of newbie questions about it!

 

First, the gear I'm looking forward to buy is:

- Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming 520m Plus II

- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

- GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060

- RAM: 4x Vengeance RGB PRO C16 DDR4 3,200MHz

- Watercooler: h115i Elite Capellix

- Case: Corsair iCUE 4000x 

- Power Supply: CX550F RGB

- SSD and HD: M.2 Corsair MP150 240GB + Seagate 2TB 

- Plus: 02 or 03 extra RGB SP120 Fans

 

So, about the RGB system: I couldn't find for sale a Commander XT so I'm guessing that I'll probably one extra RGB Hub to control everything. Is that right?

I'm not sure if the h115i must be connected at the commander as well in order to control it's lightning via iCUE.

And I'm not sure either which is the best way to install it: front or top.

 

Besides that, I'm wondering if the 550w will be enough for all the power this PC need, you know?

 

I've searched a lot about how to properly build it in a way that I'll be able to get the best airflow performance, and control of all the RGB stuff... 

So, before buying everything, I want your guys help to know what should I add (or replace) to my cart before finishing this purchase!

 

 

Anyway, thanks for helping!

 

Best,

Gabriel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Elite AIOs all come with a Commander Core PWM/RGB controller.  It is required as the pump power is routed though that controller, but then it also serves a useful purpose -- fan RGB and speed control for 6 fans.  If you have more than 6 RGB fans, you will need an additional controller.  For speed control for more than 6 fans, you can pick up a powered PWM hub that will act like a powered splitter.  This is a fraction of the cost of another Commander and should cover the maximum 9-10 fans someone might use in the 4000x. You won't have a need to run the front 3 fans at different speeds, so putting at least those 3 on the PWM hub (at the cost of 1 Com Core header) should free up 2 more control headers.  

 

The X version of the case comes with 3 SP-Elite (8 center LEDs) that match the ML-Elite OEM on the AIO.  So if you need more fans, you are looking for the SP-Elite or recently released ML-Elite, both of which are RGB LED matches to the system.  If you are getting 3 more, look for the triple pack to get the Lighting Node Core, although there also is a bare bones circuit board LNCore in the 4000x.  Those should be all the controllers you need.  

 

Technically 550W is enough to cover your needs and you're probably looking at typical 250-300W gaming load.  What you may to think about is if that will be enough for your next build or if you upgrade CPU/MB or GPU in the relative near future.  PSUs tend to last through multiple hardware iterations and you wouldn't want to get caught out after splurging on a new GPU and then getting throttled.  650W or 750W feels a little safer for long term service, but of course PSU prices and availability are almost as bad as the GPUs.  You'll have to make a value judgement on your local prices.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, c-attack said:

The Elite AIOs all come with a Commander Core PWM/RGB controller.  It is required as the pump power is routed though that controller, but then it also serves a useful purpose -- fan RGB and speed control for 6 fans.  If you have more than 6 RGB fans, you will need an additional controller.  For speed control for more than 6 fans, you can pick up a powered PWM hub that will act like a powered splitter.  This is a fraction of the cost of another Commander and should cover the maximum 9-10 fans someone might use in the 4000x. You won't have a need to run the front 3 fans at different speeds, so putting at least those 3 on the PWM hub (at the cost of 1 Com Core header) should free up 2 more control headers.  

 

The X version of the case comes with 3 SP-Elite (8 center LEDs) that match the ML-Elite OEM on the AIO.  So if you need more fans, you are looking for the SP-Elite or recently released ML-Elite, both of which are RGB LED matches to the system.  If you are getting 3 more, look for the triple pack to get the Lighting Node Core, although there also is a bare bones circuit board LNCore in the 4000x.  Those should be all the controllers you need.  

 

Technically 550W is enough to cover your needs and you're probably looking at typical 250-300W gaming load.  What you may to think about is if that will be enough for your next build or if you upgrade CPU/MB or GPU in the relative near future.  PSUs tend to last through multiple hardware iterations and you wouldn't want to get caught out after splurging on a new GPU and then getting throttled.  650W or 750W feels a little safer for long term service, but of course PSU prices and availability are almost as bad as the GPUs.  You'll have to make a value judgement on your local prices.  

 

Hey! Thank you so much for the answers!

So, I understand that the 4000x RGB comes with an PWM hub as well, so it should be plugged at the AIO included commander, and that will do. Right?

For what I've seen now on Youtube, this Commander that comes with the h115i doesn't have a USB, so I'm not seeing yet everything working together!  (lilttle bit of a newbie here hehehe)

 

Thx again,

Gabriel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by franc1s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, franc1s said:

So, I understand that the 4000x RGB comes with an PWM hub as well, so it should be plugged at the AIO included commander, and that will do. Right?

That was my recollection as well, but I could not find it definitely listed on the Corsair 4000x web page. 


You will need two USB 2.0 ports. 1 for the Commander Core. 1 for the Lighting Node Core. If your board only has one, you’ll need a powered usb 2 hub. 

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, c-attack said:

That was my recollection as well, but I could not find it definitely listed on the Corsair 4000x web page. 


You will need two USB 2.0 ports. 1 for the Commander Core. 1 for the Lighting Node Core. If your board only has one, you’ll need a powered usb 2 hub. 

 

Right! Thank you again!

Since the commander which you can aford alone have two USB ports, I was thinking that was mandatory to use this ports in order to the iCue recognize the fans in order to control their RGB. But that's nice to know that if I plug it in my motherboard directly it will work, you've saved me a couple bucks hahaha!

 

I'll propably will have everything builded till the end of january, then I'll share some pics here for you to take a look!

 

You're awesome thanks for being so helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Commander Core that comes with the Elite series coolers is different than a Commander Pro in a few way.  Com Core is PWM only, but it also has its lighting controller in the box so you can directly connect PWM and RGB plugs to either side.  The C-Pro uses the old style RGB Lighting Hubs to supply the 5v power but that is another external device.  The casualty in that enhancement is the two USB 2 passthrough ports on the Commander Core.  

 

However, you should not think of that as a loss.  First, those USB ports on the C-Pro only allow a path back to the MB and software.  They are not deice to device communication.  Also, with a 3700x you will be using a x570 or similar AMD board.  These do not tolerate multiple unpowered devices on the same USB channel very well and there is a forum full of x570 and B550 owners who need extra voltage.  The solution is to use a powered USB hub that makes up for the motherboard, so even if you had a Commander Pro with USB ports, I would be recommending you get a powered USB hub to handle some of this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, c-attack said:

The Commander Core that comes with the Elite series coolers is different than a Commander Pro in a few way.  Com Core is PWM only, but it also has its lighting controller in the box so you can directly connect PWM and RGB plugs to either side.  The C-Pro uses the old style RGB Lighting Hubs to supply the 5v power but that is another external device.  The casualty in that enhancement is the two USB 2 passthrough ports on the Commander Core.  

 

However, you should not think of that as a loss.  First, those USB ports on the C-Pro only allow a path back to the MB and software.  They are not deice to device communication.  Also, with a 3700x you will be using a x570 or similar AMD board.  These do not tolerate multiple unpowered devices on the same USB channel very well and there is a forum full of x570 and B550 owners who need extra voltage.  The solution is to use a powered USB hub that makes up for the motherboard, so even if you had a Commander Pro with USB ports, I would be recommending you get a powered USB hub to handle some of this.  

 

Right, good informations!

I'm thinking about changing my motherboard choice now - but I think it will be very expensive to get one that supply all connections needed for this build.

Looking on Asus website, the a520m plus ii only has 02 usb 3.0 ports on it - so it would be a problem, because not only I'll need to put a Lightning Node and the Commander Core on this, but I'll have to connect the front Case USB 3.1 type C and other connectors (usb 3.0, and audio) to it - so I'll be out of inputs.

 

In this case, you have mentioned a powered USB hub - I don't know anything about it! Is there a way to "add" some more USB inputs to this motherboard to take all those needs? How it should be done? 

 

Thx,

Gabriel. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the most popular choice among users.  I am not sure how the price will change in Brazil, but it does not need to be brand specific.  It needs a SATA connector for power (NO splitters) and 3-4 male ports for your devices.  Then it has 1 USB 2 female that goes back to the motherboard and all devices pass data on that line.  The key is the power provided by the SATA cable and this seems to make sure all the devices initialize on boot and maintain a steady connection (no voltage drops).  All your Corsair devices will be on 1 USB 2.0 internal header.  That's all most boards have now anyway.  

 

No matter what, you should not change your motherboard choice solely on the basis of USB ports unless you have an every day need for them not related to this.  There is always an adapter or other solution for these products, whether that is a USB 3 -> USB 2 converted or the powered hub.

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, c-attack said:

This is the most popular choice among users.  I am not sure how the price will change in Brazil, but it does not need to be brand specific.  It needs a SATA connector for power (NO splitters) and 3-4 male ports for your devices.  Then it has 1 USB 2 female that goes back to the motherboard and all devices pass data on that line.  The key is the power provided by the SATA cable and this seems to make sure all the devices initialize on boot and maintain a steady connection (no voltage drops).  All your Corsair devices will be on 1 USB 2.0 internal header.  That's all most boards have now anyway.  

 

No matter what, you should not change your motherboard choice solely on the basis of USB ports unless you have an every day need for them not related to this.  There is always an adapter or other solution for these products, whether that is a USB 3 -> USB 2 converted or the powered hub.

Actually it's not much expensive here in Brazil - we do have, like, fees from government and stuff, but it's ok.

The only thing I'm concerned is that I'll use this setup to video edit in 4K as well, and the Type-C and 3.0 usb's is kind of an essencial need for video logging speed for that large files and so.

 

What you advise me in order to still be able to fully utilize the case front USB's ports, and don't sacrifice the RGB control of this build?

I was looking to the ASUS x570 plus (it is 3x times the price of the a520m plus ii), I could save some money to purchase it - but I'm not sure yet if this will make all the connections possible.

And also, I would like to have the wi-fi/bluetooth on the motherboard as well for my videocalls devices and non-gaming office usage.

 

At this point I'm not worrying about prices - just aiming on a 100% functional setup! 

 

Edited by franc1s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, franc1s said:

The only thing I'm concerned is that I'll use this setup to video edit in 4K as well, and the Type-C and 3.0 usb's is kind of an essencial need for video logging speed for that large files and so.

That is something to be more concerned about when selecting.  However, all the RGB stuff is going to be travelling down the USB 2 path.  You won't be using any of those ports for the Corsair gear.  For what you have listed, 1 x internal USB 2.0 port + a powered USB hub should be all you need.  All motherboards should have 1 x 2.0 internal.  What's going on in back with the I/O is another story.  I tend to buy expensive boards to make sure I can handle the ridiculous number of external USB connections I need for testing this stuff plus all my sound gear.  That is something you will see a clear difference in count vs price when looking at the line.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, c-attack said:

That is something to be more concerned about when selecting.  However, all the RGB stuff is going to be travelling down the USB 2 path.  You won't be using any of those ports for the Corsair gear.  For what you have listed, 1 x internal USB 2.0 port + a powered USB hub should be all you need.  All motherboards should have 1 x 2.0 internal.  What's going on in back with the I/O is another story.  I tend to buy expensive boards to make sure I can handle the ridiculous number of external USB connections I need for testing this stuff plus all my sound gear.  That is something you will see a clear difference in count vs price when looking at the line.

 

 

Nice! Great advice!

 

So I'll look to a motherboard that can handle the front face case connections 3.0 and 3.1, and as well still have the 2x2.0 usb for both Commander and RGB Node HUB. 

 

Thanks again for all the help! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, c-attack said:

That is something to be more concerned about when selecting.  However, all the RGB stuff is going to be travelling down the USB 2 path.  You won't be using any of those ports for the Corsair gear.  For what you have listed, 1 x internal USB 2.0 port + a powered USB hub should be all you need.  All motherboards should have 1 x 2.0 internal.  What's going on in back with the I/O is another story.  I tend to buy expensive boards to make sure I can handle the ridiculous number of external USB connections I need for testing this stuff plus all my sound gear.  That is something you will see a clear difference in count vs price when looking at the line.

 

 I've been searching a lot since yesterday - and I'm not sure if there is a Motherboard with more than 2x USB internal connections. Is that right?

For what I've been thinking as well, the Commander PRO probably would kinda solve. Because it got 02 USB ports, so I would be able to connect both lightning nodes to it - but, anyway I would still use the 2 usb ports on the motherboard, since the Elite Capellix need his own commander in order to work, right?

And I'm not sure how to look if my motherboard accepts the front panel 3.1 and Type-C!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are lucky if your motherboard has 2 x USB 2.0 ports. I doubt there are any with 3 and the mega boards will be using bandwidth for the USB 3/c variants. 
 

The Commander Pro is not likely to help here. It’s USB ports are completely passive.  AMD motherboards do not like this and users wind up with erratic connectivity. That’s where the powered USB hub is different. It’s USB ports have supplemental power from the SATA cable and this is key for x570. Even if you find a board with two usb 2.0 ports, you probably still need the powered hub. AMD owners have trouble with some direct connections. Multiple devices on a passive splitter (Commander Pro) almost always are a problem. 

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You are lucky if your motherboard has 2 x USB 2.0 ports. I doubt there are any with 3 and the mega boards will be using bandwidth for the USB 3/c variants. 
 

The Commander Pro is not likely to help here. It’s USB ports are completely passive.  AMD motherboards do not like this and users wind up with erratic connectivity. That’s where the powered USB hub is different. It’s USB ports have supplemental power from the SATA cable and this is key for x570. Even if you find a board with two usb 2.0 ports, you probably still need the powered hub. AMD owners have trouble with some direct connections. Multiple devices on a passive splitter (Commander Pro) almost always are a problem. 

Got it! So I will still have to use a USB HUB!

 

And what about these front panel connections? It should go in this HUB, there is no way to connect it to the motherboard?

I'm being kinda insistent on this point cause there is no usb hub with 3.0 and Type-C here in Brazil =S 

1142734462_CapturadeTela2022-01-07as10_27_56.png.ec71bea1253b086c1a566669c0be03c7.png

 

As I didn't made a build yet, I'm kinda lost here with where those USB 3.1 and 3.0 should go on the motherboard, and if a520m has its connections

 

916465903_CapturadeTela2022-01-07as10_29_28.thumb.png.98818db1ae51aa7f1b972dd686c2300c.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The usb 3.x ports are the wider ones and typically located below the 24 pin ATX (for the front panel) and then another at the bottom (step 6 label). The pictured board has two usb 2 directly left of that step 6 label USB 3 port. 
 

USB-C is a much smaller connector. I don’t see one on that board (typically near the 24 pin atx). That is just a case connector to the front panel and not required. My case and board do have one, but I keep it tucked in back since I don’t use it and it’s in the way. You may still have an external usb-c port on the motherboard rear I/O. So if you just need 1 x usb-c, run the external cable around back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

The usb 3.x ports are the wider ones and typically located below the 24 pin ATX (for the front panel) and then another at the bottom (step 6 label). The pictured board has two usb 2 directly left of that step 6 label USB 3 port. 
 

USB-C is a much smaller connector. I don’t see one on that board (typically near the 24 pin atx). That is just a case connector to the front panel and not required. My case and board do have one, but I keep it tucked in back since I don’t use it and it’s in the way. You may still have an external usb-c port on the motherboard rear I/O. So if you just need 1 x usb-c, run the external cable around back. 

 

I think I've found a solution that works 100% fine, without a need to add any HUB or whatsoever!

 

I will change both my Motherboard and CPU, because the only board I've found that provide all connections is a intel socket:

They will be the Asus TUF GAMING H570-PRO + i7 10700K 

44241273_CapturadeTela2022-01-07as16_30_48.thumb.png.c24f0b43046b98471b78ad5d30253cb9.png

 

This motherboard have EXACTLY the same input number that I need to make this build 100% functional, without wasting any Case Front Panel connections and everything.

As the manual shows, on number 8, 9 and 10 they have 02x USB 2.0, 01 USB 3.1 Type C, and USB 3.2 header (that I think it should connect that usb 3.0 I've shared from the Corsair 4000x manual on the last post - or at least able to connect with some kind of adapter).

 

So 2x USB 2.0, both for: h115i commander and the extra lighting node included on the case; and the other ones for front panel connections.

 

It's weird, because even ROG AMD fancy boards expensive motherboards didn't had this particular Type-C connection - which makes me think the maybe it's an Intel thing?! Who knows! Hahaha

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...