Jump to content
Corsair Community

Unable to apply hardware lighting in icue 4 H115 Capellix, Fans, & RAM


Recommended Posts

How do I save the lighting to hardware in icue 4? I own the H115 Capellix, Corsair RAM, and Corsair fans.

There is a tab labeled "Hardware Lighting" but when I change the lighting in this tab, it does NOT save to hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you show us your HW Lighting tab?  The fans get their instructions through the Commander Core controller and so does the pump LED.  The RAM data saves to the modules and you will notice an active delay between when you select it and it writes the data.  However, all of those are automatic saves to the hardware unlike KBs and mice that require active saves because of their multiple profiles.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Can you show us your HW Lighting tab?  The fans get their instructions through the Commander Core controller and so does the pump LED.  The RAM data saves to the modules and you will notice an active delay between when you select it and it writes the data.  However, all of those are automatic saves to the hardware unlike KBs and mice that require active saves because of their multiple profiles.  

Sure. This is the tab I am referring to.

And now a new problem is occurring. I have the dreaded red exclamation mark on my screen. Restarting icue or rebooting my PC does not bring the screen back. However, quitting icue altogether does bring the screen back online. When I restart icue the screen goes offline again. The screen setup and hardware screen settings are now missing from icue as you can see in the screenshot.

hard.png

Edited by Godryc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Godryc said:

And now a new problem is occurring. I have the dreaded red exclamation mark on my screen.

For the RAM?  That may be a clue.  What you have above should give you all white for the pump and fans.  If that's not what you see, my guess is another RGB program is interfering and jumping control when CUE lets go (or beating it to it).  This is a relatively common problem with other motherboard RGB software and some other programs.  Armory Crate typically does not do this, but if you are using to control some other RGB products besides the MB panels it may be set up in a different way.  If you want CUE to control the MB, then you don't want to be messing around in AC at the same time.  If you need AC to control some other 5v RGB connected to the D-RGB headers, then you need to tell CUE to let go of the motherboard.  

 

Try disabling "enable software integrations" first.  If that does not work, try the master switch in the CUE general settings (turn off plugins).  That will make the MB drop from CUE, so I am looking for another way.  

 

If you mean red triangle on the LCD screen, this is usually a problem with USB detection on boot.  There are a couple of really long threads with other users discussing the issue, but there are no sure fire solutions.  Trying the Com Core and LCD screen separately rather than on the splitter helps some and is likely central to the underlying cause.  Motherboard series may impact as well.

Screenshot (242).png

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, c-attack said:

For the RAM?  That may be a clue.  What you have above should give you all white for the pump and fans.  If that's not what you see, my guess is another RGB program is interfering and jumping control when CUE lets go (or beating it to it).  This is a relatively common problem with other motherboard RGB software and some other programs.  Armory Crate typically does not do this, but if you are using to control some other RGB products besides the MB panels it may be set up in a different way.  If you want CUE to control the MB, then you don't want to be messing around in AC at the same time.  If you need AC to control some other 5v RGB connected to the D-RGB headers, then you need to tell CUE to let go of the motherboard.  

 

Try disabling "enable software integrations" first.  If that does not work, try the master switch in the CUE general settings (turn off plugins).  That will make the MB drop from CUE, so I am looking for another way.  

Screenshot (242).png

Thank you for the quick reply.

 

No, not for the RAM, for my Elite LCD screen. The LCD screen is suddenly displaying a red exclamation mark. But when I turn icue OFF the screen comes back online. But the screen no longer shows up in icue.

I do not have any other RGB software running, just icue 4. I installed the basic Asus RGB driver according to the Corsair icue instructions to get the motherboard RGB to work with icue. Never had an issue.

I disabled the software integration but that did not fix the issue. I am unsure if I should turn off any and all software integrations as that would mean I can no longer control the motherboard and RGB header lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok, just for giggles I disabled all plugins as you suggested. THe Elite Capellix LCD screen still has the red exclamation mark and still no hardware lighting.

 

I dont understand why this is happening out of the blue. I purchased the Elite LCD upgrade kit about two weeks ago, uninstalled icue 3, installed icue 4, and everything was working like a charm until this morning out of the blue.

Edited by Godryc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) While users do report error with hardware lighting on KB/mice, it is extremally rare to see it on fan controllers.  When you are in CUE and go to Hardware Lighting, does that hardware turn white?

 

2) You can untick the enable plugins, reboot and try.  It's as simple as flicking the switch back on if it does not work.  Be aware you do need the base Asus Aura/Armory Crate installed for CUE to control the MB lighting.  It can't physically hijack the board, but piggybacks off the Asus software.  Asus also has a tendency to automatically download Armory Crate the moment you boot up with internet.  Your OS may block or require permission but not always.  However, I think #3 may be more on point.

 

3) The red triangle stuff with the LCD top is a warning the LCD and CUE are not talking.  This may prevent you from being able to save HW Lighting because of the break in communication.  If you can't solve the LCD issue by running separate USB 2 connections, try disconnecting the LCD top (USB only), then boot up and see if you can set the fan side without it.  This seems the most probable underlying cause right now.

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, c-attack said:

1) While users do report error with hardware lighting on KB/mice, it is extremally rare to see it on fan controllers.  When you are in CUE and go to Hardware Lighting, does that hardware turn white?

 

2) You can untick the enable plugins, reboot and try.  It's as simple as flicking the switch back on if it does not work.  Be aware you do need the base Asus Aura/Armory Crate installed for CUE to control the MB lighting.  It can't physically hijack the board, but piggybacks off the Asus software.  Asus also has a tendency to automatically download Armory Crate the moment you boot up with internet.  Your OS may block or require permission but not always.  However, I think #3 may be more on point.

 

3) The red triangle stuff with the LCD top is a warning the LCD and CUE are not talking.  This may prevent you from being able to save HW Lighting because of the break in communication.  If you can't solve the LCD issue by running separate USB 2 connections, try disconnecting the LCD top (USB only), then boot up and see if you can set the fan side without it.  This seems the most probable underlying cause right now.

 

1) Ok, I figured out the hardware lighting part. The fans have been turning white, but the RAM has it's own hardware lighting tab and must be set independently. So that was plain user error on my part.

2) Yep, did all that and I rebooted each time I changed a setting.

3) What do you mean by running two separate USB connectors? You mean not to use the splitter and purchase my own separate cable and then run that instead of the splitter? It is interesting that the LCD "ring" still shows up as a lighting option but the screen itself does not.

Edited by Godryc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The LCD top has it's own female USB 2.0 connector, but the kit comes with a USB 2 splitter so the Commander Core and LCD top can share the line.  You should be able to connect it directly to the MB and the Com Core directly, as long as you have 2x2.0 USB ports. 

 

This may be the cause of the issue for some users.  However, I am bit surprised for to see this on a Z390.  Most issues happen on recent AMD boards and the new Z690.  When I was testing the LCD top on my Z490, I was having a really hard time creating the error except by deliberately hot plugging the cable to put CUE into a tizzy.  I ran my Commander Core + LCD top on the splitter and through the Commander Pro passthrough, so that is about the worst possible set-up.

 

I think we have the HW Lighting Issue pinned down and you don't need to mess with other settings.  The LCD top issue is preventing the HW Lighting functionality.  This is the largest of the discussion threads, but I am not sure there are clear answers yet.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

And just like that our of the blue the screen comes on again... Not sure but maybe it came back because I did a cold start rather than a reboot. Thank you for your help and thank you for the link to the thread. I'll have to dig into that thread in case the screen looses connection again. From what I've seen it seems to be a fairly common issue. Perhaps an early adopter problem. As much as I prefer icue 4 over 3, it does seem to have a lot of bugs that need to be fixed.

Edited by Godryc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in other words you guys are thinking its a failure at the splitter, which is what I honestly think it is also, the wires at the splitters are extremely brittle and thin.   
However, when purchasing a $99 to go ontop the alreadyt $200 aio, this is the last thing that anyone needs to be cheaping out on.   Now, as you suggeted to this individual would ne nice to have a free usb port but if you buy the corsair aio, have a corsair commander, then the fans, then have led strips, can you suggest where we can pull this extra usb port from our motherboards from? especiually since for some odd reason you guys didnt make the aio able to run off the commander core usb ports?


It's weird however that a full power off of the computer, switching the psu switch off and draining the board of all power corrects this issue, till it arises again.  

Extremely strange and honestly I think it has something to do with software more than hardware after I keep investigating my own issues further.

Edited by Liberatedmind
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not think it is a physical failure of the wire or connector in the USB splitter or either component piece.  The interaction with devices on that pathway seems to have become far more complex in the last few years.  This wasn't something we were talking about with "dumber" devices and now its a frequent point of contention on several different internal devices.  Does that mean there is a lot more data on that path?  Motherboard makers are cheaping out on the ports?  I don't know and this not an area of expertise.

 

2 hours ago, Liberatedmind said:

It's weird however that a full power off of the computer, switching the psu switch off and draining the board of all power corrects this issue, till it arises again.  

This is how you reset the Commander Core controllers.  Works for PWM and RGB port auto-detection as well.  I am assuming it forces a redetect and that somehow circumvents the error by doing a ground level handshake.  That seems to point at the device or firmware, but there is another problem.  If true, then this should be a universal obstacle.  It does not appear to be and the sole reason for me setting up mine for testing daisy chained through a fully loaded Commander Core with both USB 2 ports full plus splitter (4 devices in total) was to fill the USB 2 line as much as I could.  I never saw the same (!) error that is frequently reported.  That suggests there is an additional factor in play to differentiate one user from another.  I still feel motherboard behavior is central and there is a USB 2 initialization issue.  Which side that needs to be solved on is not clear, but as user you can neither correct BIOS, MB hardware, or Corsair protocols.  All you can do is try and give the USB devices the best chance of passing the initialization in a 1:1 connection scheme.  This has been in play for AMD x570 and B550 owners for a couple years, while Intel owners had no problem -- possibly until now. 

 

AMD owners usually need to buy a powered USB 2.0 hub.  It is inexpensive (less than $20 USD) and often required anyway since a lot of boards have a single USB 2.0 port these days.  Having 2x2.0 would be considered bountiful, but still not enough for large builds with multiple devices.  I can see why everyone might not be happy with this, but it is one of the few inexpensive potential solutions and may have additional value beyond the troubleshooting.  

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liberatedmind said:

So in other words you guys are thinking its a failure at the splitter, which is what I honestly think it is also, the wires at the splitters are extremely brittle and thin.   
However, when purchasing a $99 to go ontop the alreadyt $200 aio, this is the last thing that anyone needs to be cheaping out on.   Now, as you suggeted to this individual would ne nice to have a free usb port but if you buy the corsair aio, have a corsair commander, then the fans, then have led strips, can you suggest where we can pull this extra usb port from our motherboards from? especiually since for some odd reason you guys didnt make the aio able to run off the commander core usb ports?


It's weird however that a full power off of the computer, switching the psu switch off and draining the board of all power corrects this issue, till it arises again.  

Extremely strange and honestly I think it has something to do with software more than hardware after I keep investigating my own issues further.

 

Yeah that is why I am saying this seems to be an early adopter problem. I'm sure things will improve and possibly Corsair will even revamp the hardware itself. FYI, I dont think c-attack is a Corsair employee, just a helpful member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is an extension.  It will help if you cannot reach wherever you need to go (LCD top to lower motherboard, etc).  However, if you need to buy a pair of extension to make this work, then it would seem better to get a powered hub and keep things in back.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, c-attack said:

That is an extension.  It will help if you cannot reach wherever you need to go (LCD top to lower motherboard, etc).  However, if you need to buy a pair of extension to make this work, then it would seem better to get a powered hub and keep things in back.    

 

I guess I am a bit lost then as to how else to run a separate USB cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you disconnect the splitter from the LCD top and the Commander Core, you should have two normal 'female' USB 2 connectors (9 pin holes) on the devices own line.  If you can reach the bottom of your motherboard (where most USB 2 male ports are located), then you can connect them directly so they don't share a line.  This was a recommended troubleshooting step to try in the main discussion thread and it makes sense in light of what others have reported.  However, it has not been a universal solution for all, so this should be viewed as a temporary measure to solve this.  

 

If you can't reach the MB internal USB ports from the CPU block or Com Core in back, then you could try the extensions or my recommendation is to get a powered USB hub for the back where the cables do reach.  Those typically have 4-5 USB male ports and you can connect the devices 1 to a port on that.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, c-attack said:

If you disconnect the splitter from the LCD top and the Commander Core, you should have two normal 'female' USB 2 connectors (9 pin holes) on the devices own line.  If you can reach the bottom of your motherboard (where most USB 2 male ports are located), then you can connect them directly so they don't share a line.  This was a recommended troubleshooting step to try in the main discussion thread and it makes sense in light of what others have reported.  However, it has not been a universal solution for all, so this should be viewed as a temporary measure to solve this.  

 

If you can't reach the MB internal USB ports from the CPU block or Com Core in back, then you could try the extensions or my recommendation is to get a powered USB hub for the back where the cables do reach.  Those typically have 4-5 USB male ports and you can connect the devices 1 to a port on that.  

 

Ok, I see what you are saying, makes sense now. I will keep that solution in mind, should the LCD screen lose connection again. Thanks again for all your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...