Corsair Community

Problems between 2*512MB Corsair Value & my Asus A7V333

Mitch_Buchannon

Hello everybody...

I've bought a new Corsair Ram kit on an online store in France (I'm French so excuse me if my English seems to be a little "bugged" :-) ).

It's a 2*512 MB Corsair Value Ram Kit PC3200...

I actually have an Asus A7V333, and I have stability/errors problems:

First, when I installed the two modules on my system (module a & b in bank 1 & 3), and removed the old 2*256MB noname modules, I had some blue screens on Window's start: Physical Memory Drops (I don't know the exact words in English). I formatted my hard drive, reinstalled WinXP Pro and removed one module. It worked fine a moment, so I decided to put the other module in, so actually modules b & a are in banks 1 & 3 (I swapped them), and it seems to work better with Windows.

I tested the ram modules individually, to see if there is a bad one... But they seem to be fine, I don't have any error with Memtest 86+ 1.55 and the Microsoft Memory test program works fine...

But when I put the two modules together, no matter which banks I choose (I tested all possibilities), I have a very large error number: between 300 & 1500 errors on Memtest's test#5 (other tests work fine) & about 5 errors on Microsoft ram tester LRAND test (other tests work fine too), and sometimes Windows seems to be instable.

Here are the major technical details of my A7V333 settings:

- Frequency : 166 (the A7V333 is not compatible with DDR400)

- DRAM voltage: between 2.55 & 2.59 V... If I set it higher (the next step is 2.75 - 2.80V, which is a bit high), the number of errors on Memtest's test#5 is multiplied by 4 (!)

- Latencies: 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 6

- DRAM 1T command: Auto

- DRAM Bank interleave: Auto

I've noticed that errors seem to happen on the same memory address range, so I think that maybe one chip on one of the two modules may be corrupted, but I can't be sure of that.

Well, do you have any advice for me ? Can I do something more or do I have to replace them ?

I plan to replace my motherboard for a new one, so I would like to know what is, for you the good choice for a stable system.

I would like a motherboard with those features:

- socket 754

- 8 USB ports (I have lots of things to plug in :-) )

- AGP Graphic port (for my new geForce 6600GT)

For me, I would buy an Asus K8V SE Deluxe/K8N or Abit KV8Pro/NF8...

Would it be a good choice ?

Thanks by advance for your advices :-) ...

Best regards.

• Corsair Employee

Mitch,

Our hours are 8:30Am to 5:30 PM pacific time, so you posted after we had left and then bumped the thread before we had came in today.

I think there is about 8-12 hour time difference between here and your country, so please consider the time before you bump the thread.

With this MB, please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and install the modules in slots 1-3 and then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and that should solve the problem.

You can use http://www.memtest.org to make sure the system is stable.

Yes, sorry about that, I realised that there is a time difference just after posting the second message... I saw 8:30 AM... Woow, maybe a little early ! :D:...

You know with internet, everything is so fast and instantly done that I didn't thought of that "earth parameter" :D:

Ok, so for the voltage, I can't set it to 2.7 V exactly, because you can only set a "range" of voltage (and not the exact value) on the A7V333, with two jumpers behind the audio ports, near the agp port.

The settings available are:

- 2.55 to 2.59 V (default - the actual setting for my mobo)

- 2.75 to 2.80 V (which is a bit too high I think... I tried this mode but I had a lot more errors on Memtest's test#5, so I came back to the default voltage)

There is a third mode but it sets a very high voltage so I don't even think to use it... And there is no mode between 2.55-2.59V and 2.75-2.80V so I you can see, it's not really precise...

My two Ram modules are in slots 1 & 3...

the actual settings for the latecies are: 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 6: I can't set the last latency (6) to 7... It's 5 or 6 but not 7...

And finally, I use Memtest... Seriously, did you read my first message or not ? :mad: :D:

Thanks for your help ! :):

Mitch, just to be clear, what CPU do you have and it is running at stock/default speeds or are you overclocking the CPU? Many times with Memtest, a test #5 error is actually a CPU error.

The socket 754 MOBOs you listed are good choices. Between the 2 I would choose ASUS. However, you may do better with a socket 939 MOBO since you have a good set of RAM for dual channel memory operation. If the costs are similiar a 939 dual channel MOBO will make much more efficient use of the RAM. I have an ASUS A8V that runs very well.

Mike.

• Corsair Employee

Mitch_Buchannon

There are several versions of memtest and I will normally give the link just for reference. So dont put too much into that. And there is a table of the memory voltages over at asusforums.org I would try it at 2.75-280 Volts and see if the system is stable, but if not then we can try replacing the modules but I would encourage you to test the modules in another system if you can to be sure.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Mitch, just to be clear, what CPU do you have and it is running at stock/default speeds or are you overclocking the CPU? Many times with Memtest, a test #5 error is actually a CPU error.

The socket 754 MOBOs you listed are good choices. Between the 2 I would choose ASUS. However, you may do better with a socket 939 MOBO since you have a good set of RAM for dual channel memory operation. If the costs are similiar a 939 dual channel MOBO will make much more efficient use of the RAM. I have an ASUS A8V that runs very well.

Mike.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (thoroughbred 0.18 microns I guess...).

I didn't overclocked any part of my system, everything runs at the default speed, because I prefer to have a stable and middle perfomance system instead of a "blue screens generator" super fast one :-).

My CPU, when running a 3D Benchmark for example, can reach high temperatures, because the fan is cheap... With the PC case closed, it can reach a 59°C temperature... But when I tested the Ram, the PC case was open, and it that case, the cpu never goes over 52°C, which is an acceptable temperature I think... You say that it could be a CPU problem, but for me it runs well... I keep it in mind...

for the new mobo, actually in France, socket 939 mobos are a little more expensive, but the CPU is really more expensive that the same on socket 754... So that's why I would like a socket 754 mobo...

About the Dual Channel, do you think that it's reallly usefull, will I see a difference, and does this feature improve stability/compatibility or not ?

I have another question about my kit of 2*512 MB Corsair Value Ram PC3200:

Do the memory chips on the two ram modules are exactly the same, I mean do they come from the same manufacturer (like Infineon, Micron, Samsung...) ?

Because if they come from different manufacturers, even if they are all 32 MB chips, this may cause problems...

Mitch_Buchannon

There are several versions of memtest and I will normally give the link just for reference. So dont put too much into that. And there is a table of the memory voltages over at asusforums.org I would try it at 2.75-280 Volts and see if the system is stable, but if not then we can try replacing the modules but I would encourage you to test the modules in another system if you can to be sure.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Yeah I found this link too, it's that link that helped me to change the Ram voltage... But as I said in my previous message, when I set the voltage to 2.75 - 2.80, I have a lot more errors with Memtest86+'s test#5...

Ok, so:

Part Number: VS512MB400

there are numbers under the barcode:

Module A (in slot 3): 783 - 0511056 - 0 - 213975

Moduel B (in slot 1): 783 - 0511056 - 0 - 213976

My power supply is a 300w Advance PSU.

Details of my system:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (0.18 microns Thoroughbred)

Memory: 2*512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200

Video Card: PNY Geforce 6600 GT 128MB AGP

HDD1: Maxtor Diamond Max 9 160 Go IDE

HDD2: IBM 120 GXP 80Go IDE

DVD-Rom: Pioneer DVD-117 IDE

DVD-Recorder: Nec ND 2500A IDE

PCI Cards:

Soundcard Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo

Network Card Netgear 10/100 Mb

TV Tuner Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP

Nota: Could you please answer my questions about Dual Channel & the Memory Chips on the modules (see my last messages), thanks...

• Corsair Employee

For the new mobo, actually in France, socket 939 mobos are a little more expensive, but the CPU is really more expensive that the same on socket 754... So that's why I would like a socket 754 mobo...

About the Dual Channel, do you think that it's really useful, will I see a difference, and does this feature improve stability/compatibility or not ?

A: I would opt for socket 939 over socket 754 because the memory performance is 30-40% more than socket 754 and there is a noticeable difference in over all performance.

I have another question about my kit of 2*512 MB Corsair Value Ram PC3200:

Do the memory chips on the two ram modules are exactly the same, I mean do they come from the same manufacturer (like Infineon, Micron, Samsung...) ?

Because if they come from different manufacturers, even if they are all 32 MB chips, this may cause problems...

A: If you did not purchase the modules at the same time they may be different IC's or at least they would be made from different a batch. And in most of the manuals I have seen all suggest using matched memory. With Value Select its not usually that big of an issue but it does happen from time to time that 2 modules made at different times will not run together in dual channel and one of the reasons we came out with Twinx sets of modules as well a Vale Select Kits of 2 modules per kit.

My power supply is a 300w Advance PSU.

Mitch, the reason that I asked about your PSU is that your problems seem power related. Your 2 x 256mb sticks were the rough equivalent of the 1 x 512mb as far as power consumption. And, your problems surface when you use 2 x 512mb. In my opinion your power supply is not enough for your system.

Mike

Mitch, the reason that I asked about your PSU is that your problems seem power related. Your 2 x 256mb sticks were the rough equivalent of the 1 x 512mb as far as power consumption. And, your problems surface when you use 2 x 512mb. In my opinion your power supply is not enough for your system.

Mike

I thought of that. I know that a 300w is atually too limited to give sufficient power... My next PSU will be a 480W, so I think it will improve the system stability/performance...

One thing: I've noticed that when I test my two modules with memtest, I always have errors above 98% of the test pass (Memtest's test#5): between 496 and 512 MB.

So, I really think that there is a bad/corrupted chip at the end of one module... What do you think of that ?

If the modules will pass Memtest when tested individually then I don't think you have a bad module.

From your first post:

I tested the ram modules individually, to see if there is a bad one... But they seem to be fine, I don't have any error with Memtest 86+ 1.55 and the Microsoft Memory test program works fine...

You only seem to have the problems when your power requirements are at their highest. If I were you, I'd wait until you get the new PSU. Keep in mind you have a very power hungry video card. If the new PSU does not solve the issue atleast you can eliminate the PSU as the cause.

Mike.

Archived