Corsair Community

Need help finding a fix for a problem on the new Z690 chipset with Corsair H150i PRO XT

Hello!

I've built my new PC around a month ago.

i9-12900k

ASUS PRIME Z690-P WIFI

MSI RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO

DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MHz C38 

EVGA 1000W PSU

Corsair H150i PRO XT

Since the built I had a lot of struggle with it. Firstly 6 USB ports stopped working with an USB extenders. After that I had 2 weeks of BSODs and crashes, until I lowered RAM freq to 4000MHz. Don't know if its the RAM fault, as memtest on 4800MHz failed woth each stick, so either both the sticks are bad, or there is an issue with BIOS etc.

However the most irritating still happens and I can't seem to find why. While playing games and sometimes even when just watching streams/movies, my pc starts to "stutter" for a second or two, I hear distorted sound in headphones connected with a 3.5mm jack, my keyboard disconnects for few seconds and sometimes fans on the AIO start to ramp up incredibly. As you can see in the attached pics, coolant temp shows a big drop and raise after that which seems to be physically impossible to me. Its almost 15°C change in something like 12 second, is it even possible?

Could it be the sensor crashing with the USBs, or the pump disconnecting from the AIO_PUMP header on motherboard?

I tried a fresh windows reinstall, reinstallng all drivers several times including chipset etc. Closed iCUE and corsair services, and yet the issue happened even without it, so no software problem I guess. I did reinstall all the USB drivers in device manager, unchecked the "allow system to turn off this......" in device manager, switched from 750W PSU to the 1000W I have now. I'm out of ideas honestly.

Did anyone ever see something similar to this?

Could it be a motherboard issue?

Could it be faulty AIO doing all this?

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'm starting to get desperate.

8856a57fcb5665b9084416627aab47a0.png

ad6ee74ac5751890ff0c56daafcbd07b.png

There have some Z690 complaints about usb connectivity, which is somewhat surprising because this is not an issue on Z490/590. However, it stands to reason there were necessary changes for the new features that flow through the chipset. I do not think you have a faulty cooler. The loss of 3.5mm motherboard audio at the same time indicates an over all chipset interruption and not something specific to the AIO.

When the usb connectivity is interrupted, the lights will drop to HW mode and the data is interrupted, but the pump and fans should not stop. You can test this by quitting the CUE app on the desktop with another cpu temp monitor open. If there is some problem with the cooler transitioning between hardware and software modes, you should see a sudden spike in cpu temp that would accompany a sudden reduction in flow rate (pump stutters). 

It’s a bit concerning if all chipset traffic devices (drives, usb 2, audio) are experiencing interrupts. That seems like a board problem. Could be MB firmware (bios fix) or it could be drivers (Intel). This is pretty technical stuff and not easy to diagnose. For whatever it’s worth, I would start a support ticket with Asus. Maybe they are aware. If not, that step is out of the way. 

Other Corsair gear besides the AIO + fans and RAM?  You can set this up to run in HW Mode to eliminate CUE as a suspect. If you are still having audio drops, you know the problem is elsewhere. 

33 minutes ago, c-attack said:

There have some Z690 complaints about usb connectivity, which is somewhat surprising because this is not an issue on Z490/590. However, it stands to reason there were necessary changes for the new features that flow through the chipset. I do not think you have a faulty cooler. The loss of 3.5mm motherboard audio at the same time indicates an over all chipset interruption and not something specific to the AIO.

When the usb connectivity is interrupted, the lights will drop to HW mode and the data is interrupted, but the pump and fans should not stop. You can test this by quitting the CUE app on the desktop with another cpu temp monitor open. If there is some problem with the cooler transitioning between hardware and software modes, you should see a sudden spike in cpu temp that would accompany a sudden reduction in flow rate (pump stutters). 

It’s a bit concerning if all chipset traffic devices (drives, usb 2, audio) are experiencing interrupts. That seems like a board problem. Could be MB firmware (bios fix) or it could be drivers (Intel). This is pretty technical stuff and not easy to diagnose. For whatever it’s worth, I would start a support ticket with Asus. Maybe they are aware. If not, that step is out of the way. 

Other Corsair gear besides the AIO + fans and RAM?  You can set this up to run in HW Mode to eliminate CUE as a suspect. If you are still having audio drops, you know the problem is elsewhere. 

Thanks for the answer!

As you said, I don't think the AIO stops when this happens, looking at HWINFO there is no spike in CPU temp when it happens and honestly, if I didn't see the spike in iCUE, I would think it's just the USBs. But seeing that makes me think even the USB that is connected to the pump is affected and that is causing the spike in iCUE.

I already did talk with Asus support and they basically told me to try different RAM and PSU and if that doesn't help I should RMA the board.

I'm honestly real mad at them as the motherboard didn't get a BIOS update for month and a half, and it seems they don't care about the prime series.

Only Corsair products I have are the RAM and AIO. When I close the iCUE, end all corsair services and make them not start automatically, isn't it in HW mode after that? That's what I tried today and had the same problems as with iCUE running.

35 minutes ago, Dinooo_ said:

I already did talk with Asus support and they basically told me to try different RAM and PSU and if that doesn't help I should RMA the board.

I’m not seeing a connection there. If you have RAM issues you’ll get errors all over, BSODs, freezes, hard crashes. That does not seem to be the case. A PSU problem would likely cause a hard shutdown and a momentary glitch along a SATA line could cut power to the AIO but would not affect motherboard audio. You received a very generic response. 

If this does not happen with the AIO disconnected from the usb, you can try to pursue this as a USB output issue. This is something AMD x570 and B550 owners have to deal with and I certainly hope this not a Z690 issue. Those users boost connectivity by offloading the usb 2 internal devices to a powered hub. The NZXT one is popular and about $20. Can’t be sure this a solution, but it sounds better than a motherboard RMA. 

Edited by c-attack

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

If this does not happen with the AIO disconnected from the usb, you can try to pursue this as a USB output issue. This is something AMD x570 and B550 owners have to deal with and I certainly hope this not a Z690 issue. Those users boost connectivity by offloading the usb 2 internal devices to a powered hub. The NZXT one is popular and about $20. Can’t be sure this a solution, but it sounds better than a motherboard RMA. 

I've heard about the issues AMDs had and I really hope this will not be a Z690 problem aswell.

I tried to "free" some bandwith by connecting my peripherals(mouse&keyboard) through USB Hub in my monitor and that didn't help. Thought about buying a PCIe USB Card, but I think if it was widespread issue with the chipset there would be more talk about it, not just the few I saw.

Probably will have to risk it and buy a different brand board and hope it is really the culprit.

Thank you very much for the help and assuring me the AIO is probably not faulty.

A powered USB hub is $20 USD or less.  That might be a good intermediate strategy.  Also, it's something you might need in the future anyway.  Most boards only have 1-2 USB 2.0 ports and it's pretty easy to exceed that.  On the AMD boards it appears to be voltage output.  It could be something similar on Z690 or it could be new chipset issues... or something else entirely.  But the USB hub seems like a logical step to try.  This has not been as widespread as the AMD issue, so if it is related it may only affect some boards that have different specifications not presented on their data sheet.  

I have doubts the USB 3 hub for KB/mice/peripherals will help.  There is not a lot of data passing back and forth over that and aside from initial boot recognition issues, we don't see lot of people popping up and complaining the keyboard or mouse cuts in/out while plugged in, resulting in system interruption.  

We do see the interrupts more often with internal components.  Any powered USB 2.0 internal hub should work.  It's not a brand specific solution.  As long as it has a SATA power connector to supply the circuit board, it satisfies the deficiency.  Are there other products available?

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand it a bit more!

Sadly all the internal HUBs I could find would have to ship from a different country and will probably take the same time as the NZXT one to arrive.

I guess the fastest way would be to risk it and get a different motherboard and hope it helps. 

Do you by any chance have a recommendation what should I get? I looked at the MSI MPG Z690 CARBON  and it seems like a great MB to me.

Thought about the ASUS Maximus, but I'm a bit scared there will be more manufacture issues like the burning MOSFETs.

I don’t have a specific recommendation, but if you prefer Asus I don’t think you should be afraid of the Hero. The cause is known and was a manufacturing error, not a design flaw. It’s a pretty simple check to see if the one transistor is upside down when you open the box. No live testing required. 

Not prefering anything tbh. Had a Gigabyte, MSI and Asus in my old builds, Asus just looked best on the Z690.

I'll order the MSI as I can have it in two days and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the support and help you've provided me, I really appreciate it!

So the MSI is ordered. I went through the manual just to be prepared and have few more questions.

Right now, I have the AIO connected to the AIO_PUMP header. In BIOS I disabled the cpu_fan limit so I can boot without an error and use CUE to control pump and fans.

Having to rebuild the whole thing I wan't to make sure I'm doing the best I can.

I've read the pump header always gives 100%. I guess the AIO has some kind of memory in itself that overrides it, as this is the connection I have now and even without CUE in HW mode and the fans are definitely ramping to 100%. Is my thinking right or did I misunderstood it?

Connecting it to the cpu_fan header would save me the BIOS error and would alarm me if the pump died. However, if I understand correctly, motherboard will control it according to CPU temp.

Would it control the pump speed, fans or both? How would that work with CUE? Would it prefer the CUE fan curve instead of the BIOS one?

I'm really sorry for taking your time. The more I dig into this, more dumb I feel and overthink too much.

16 hours ago, Dinooo_ said:

Connecting it to the cpu_fan header would save me the BIOS error and would alarm me if the pump died. However, if I understand correctly, motherboard will control it according to CPU temp.

No, in years past this would have been true when most AIO units got their power directly from the motherboard.  In the post RGB explosion, very few coolers use that method and nearly all of them have a SATA connector to get power directly from the PSU.  This makes that tachometer wire to the MB mostly inconsequential.  You could cut it off with a pair of scissors and the AIO will still be in CUE and fully controllable.  At this point, the only thing that wire does is report a speed back to the MB.  If you were not using CUE at all, then this would be how you measure pump speed.  Since most people are using CUE to assess pump/fan speed, that does not have much value.  That leaves the motherboard's native "CPU boot error" safety protocol as the only thing in play. 

My recommendation for most people is to put it on CPU fan.  This is easier than disabling the CPU boot error after every BIOS update and it serves the original purpose --- the BIOS will throw an immediate error at you if the pump does not talk back on power on.  You won't get that on AIO Pump or W_Pump.  You absolutely can put in on AIO and disable the CPU boot, but the only reason to so if because you want to see pump speed in BIOS or other monitoring programs but the tach won't reach CPU fan or that wire path is otherwise undesirable.  You are also just fine by tucking the wire away and disabling CPU boot error if you don't care about reporting the pump speed to the motherboard.  That makes you like all of us running custom water cooling that must disable this feature and do not have this protection.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks! I went with the CPU_FAN and so far so good. Hope its fixed.

Thank you so much for the help you gave me, it really helped ❤️

I will post an update after a week or so to inform if it was really motherboard issue.