Corsair Community

Do I need a commander pro/commander core xt?

Hi, i'm planning on building a new PC soon, first time using corsair rgb fans it's slightly confusing

I plan on getting an h150i elite capellix AIO which has 3 fans, and 6 LL120 fans, 9 fans altogether. My case is a lian li dynamic pc-011, my question is would I need an commander pro or something to wire all together?

The Elite AIO coolers come with a 6 port PWM/RGB controller (Commander Core). If you have 9 fans, you either need another full controller (Commander Pro or XT) or it may make more sense to get an inexpensive, powered PWM hub. This is effectively a powered splitter for up to 8-10 fans which will all run the same speed. There is no reason to run the banks of 3x120 at different speeds, so you can off-load one panel to the hub. However, since the hub still uses 1 PWM port, you still need to manage 6 fans for 5 ports.

If you have the RGB lighting hubs from the LL multi-packs, a Commander Pro can replace the lighting Node pro as the RGB controller while also providing an extra RGB channel. The Com Core XT is just like the controller from the AIO kit but with one side for PWM and the other a direct connection for RGB. I don’t see a clear advantage for one or the other here. 

I have a h150i and 8    8 series led fans SP elite adding the 3 AIO fans it comes up to 11 i just have my aio fans on the commander core with power and RGB and just the RGB for my 3 side fans and for the rest I have a commander pro to power 3 front and 1 rear fans and for the lights I connected those fans and my cxf RGB psu.  

If you don't understand I have linked a photo that could possibly help.

5000X-White Diagram (2).jpg

On 1/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, c-attack said:

The Elite AIO coolers come with a 6 port PWM/RGB controller (Commander Core). If you have 9 fans, you either need another full controller (Commander Pro or XT) or it may make more sense to get an inexpensive, powered PWM hub. This is effectively a powered splitter for up to 8-10 fans which will all run the same speed. There is no reason to run the banks of 3x120 at different speeds, so you can off-load one panel to the hub. However, since the hub still uses 1 PWM port, you still need to manage 6 fans for 5 ports.

If you have the RGB lighting hubs from the LL multi-packs, a Commander Pro can replace the lighting Node pro as the RGB controller while also providing an extra RGB channel. The Com Core XT is just like the controller from the AIO kit but with one side for PWM and the other a direct connection for RGB. I don’t see a clear advantage for one or the other here. 

Thanks, think i'll just go with the commander core xt, this might be a stupid question, but does it matter what motherboard I have and how many USB headers ect I need? I plan on getting a msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi 

Yes, unfortunately it does matter.  The recent AMD boards (x570, B550, etc.) have difficulties recognizing or maintaining the USB connection.  Most owners of those platforms need an inexpensive powered USB 2 hub to boost the line.  The NZXT one is popular and about $20 USD.  So not a deterrent to your purchase plans, but something to plan for.