Corsair Community

OK! Win98se, Asus A7A266 and 1GB of ValueSelect are not being friendly!

Junker

Running 98 SE (fully patched along with the "unofficial" 2.0.1 update from Exuberant that has many hotfixes and remedies the win9x 512MB+ problem), AMD Athon 1GHZ and an Asus a7a266. I have been running 512MB pc133 since the dino ages and I just grabbed a 1GB kit of ValueSelect VS512MB400 DDR. I was oh so hopeful that I would simply swap out the SDRAM and plop in the DDR and we would all live happily ever after.

1st try...black screen and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Then tears. I take out a stick and it boots! Then the screen flickers every 10 seconds then freezes. This has been been the story ever since. I tried following THIS thread as its the only a7a266 help to be found.

Anyway, the MOBO supports 2 gigsticks of pc2100. The stuff I bought, off course, is 3200 but I figured it would default to the slower speed. Do I have to mess with timing or whatever else to get these things stable? BIOS wants my cpu and ram to be operating at the same frequency. Default is 133/33 does this have anything to do with it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll test this stuff on a different system tonight if I don't hear anything.

THANKS!

Yeah I hacked the planet all over 98 se to help with the gig of ram. After messing around for an hour or so, and being unable to get at AFLASH.exe since Asus site is in SOS mode, I finally just dropped the bus speed to 108/36 and set the timing at 2-2-2-6 at 2.7v. So Im only running at 810 MHz but everything seems to be stable. Ill try updating the BIOS and inching the bus up til I find the Gspot later on.

Quick question, what does this mean? Is the old hardware just overwhelmed? Im still abusing this 300w PS that I plan to upgrade soon, is that playing a part? I plan on getting a new PCU/MB soon anyway, I just jumped the gun on the RAM since I could use it in the meantime.

THANKS!

Thanks. Im now at 2.5-3-3-7 with the fsb notched down only a little and its stable. this thing will not run solid at the default 133/33 when this ram is installed. Why is this, exactly?

Yeah, there are only 2 DDR slots so they are both being used. the hard jumper which supposedly changed the RAM voltage from 2.5 -> 2.7 has been switched.

This is an ASUS board, rev 1.03 so that may be the problem. I guess they are very picky with the type of RAM used and this was one of their first that supported DDR. At any rate hopefully I can get ahold of the BIOS utility to update (their site is aweful. can't get at anything) and I'll test the RAM in an XP system running Win2000 tonight. Think that ones using an ASUS as well. :o:

BTW the only symptoms I can see is the occasional screen flicker or flashing black for a second then returning.

Im using an Athlon 1GHz Tbird 266FSB version. Ill be switching to a 2500+ Barton with an A7n8x deluxe next week.

While I didn't get around to testing it in the other system, I updated the BIOS and got no errors in a memtest run. Still cant run my stock speeds though. I am guaranteed to see a flashing screen within 30 seconds of boot at the stock 1ghz. I can run 100% stable at 935MHz and get the ocassional flash at 966MHz.

Could one or more have errors even if they passed memtest? Also, I had to mail in the reciept in order to get my $25 mail in rebate (how I hate those things :mad: ).

Would testing them in the other system I have access to resolve anything? Like if its plug and play on the XP system could I assume its a compatibility issue with this old ASUS board?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
That would tell us if the problem is with the MB or with the memory, is why I suggested testing them in another MB. As it would be extreamly rare to get 2 modules fail at the same time. Also A7A266 Rev 1.03 will not support a 2500+, you will move everything to a new MB right, I think you said A7N8X!

Archived