Jump to content
Corsair Community

Help with best Fan Curve


mikea213
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wondering if someone can help me out with the best fan curves for my setup that does cause all the ramping up and down that these built-in ones do. Here is my setup

5000x Rgb X case with 10 QL fans

2 Commander Pro XT new 2021 version 

xd 5 water res.

2 360mm rads 

So on the first commander pro xt is setup with the Hydro X settings so there are 3 fans mounted to the rad on the side of the case exhausting air. One fan on the rear exhaust on that and then the pump on #6 as corsair states it should be. These are set as Hydro Fans on the rad fans the rear I have set to quite and the Pump to Hydro pump.

Second Commander pro xt its set to 3 fans in the front of that case for intake. 3 fans on top of that case with the other 360mm rad on exhaust. Those are all set to quite profile. 

Just idle or normal web use my CPU package on a 5800x  is 33c to 35c. If I watch you tube the package jumps up 50c-58c and then I start to hear the fans ramp up and down 

In the loop I have the 2 rads, cpu block, 3080ti block.

 

Thanks in advance,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, all of your radiator fans should be together on the same Commander Core XT. And the fan curve (and fan speeds) should be controlled by the temperature of the pump. They HydroX curves are. You may find them good ... or not aggressive enough for you. They typically don't really ramp up until the 40C range. I ramp mine up higher, sooner. But that's personal preference.

Use the second Commander Core XT for the airflow fans. Use the built-in temperature sensors to measure intake and exhaust temperatures. Ramp your fans based on the exhaust temps.

You have other options as well but, with your current setup, that will work for you. In all seriousness though, you could easily do this with 1 Commander Core XT and 1 Lighting Node Core.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:45 PM, DevBiker said:

First, all of your radiator fans should be together on the same Commander Core XT. And the fan curve (and fan speeds) should be controlled by the temperature of the pump. They HydroX curves are. You may find them good ... or not aggressive enough for you. They typically don't really ramp up until the 40C range. I ramp mine up higher, sooner. But that's personal preference.

Use the second Commander Core XT for the airflow fans. Use the built-in temperature sensors to measure intake and exhaust temperatures. Ramp your fans based on the exhaust temps.

You have other options as well but, with your current setup, that will work for you. In all seriousness though, you could easily do this with 1 Commander Core XT and 1 Lighting Node Core.

What speeds would you ramp for the air intake and exhaust my exhaust temp is normally around 29-31c? And then for the rad what temps there? I dont thing I can drop to open Commander core xt and a lighting node as I have the rgb on pump and the cpu and then have the corsair 4 rgb light strips. Would you just use fan splitters to combine the rad fans? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, mikea213 said:

What speeds would you ramp for the air intake and exhaust my exhaust temp is normally around 29-31c?

It's hard to say as it depends on your ambient temperature. As an absolute temp, 29-31c is pretty good for the inside of your case if your room is at or around room temperature (22-23C) - it's a delta of 7-9c. If, however, your ambient/room temp was around, say, 19C ... it's less good.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, mikea213 said:

And then for the rad what temps there?

For the rad, the important temp is the coolant temp. Again, that's a matter of delta from ambient. Liquid will also warm up (and cool down) far slower than the air (or processor) as it has a much higher heat capacity.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, mikea213 said:

Would you just use fan splitters to combine the rad fans? 

Certainly an option if you are short on fan headers as you'll typically want to run them as unit anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DevBiker said:

It's hard to say as it depends on your ambient temperature. As an absolute temp, 29-31c is pretty good for the inside of your case if your room is at or around room temperature (22-23C) - it's a delta of 7-9c. If, however, your ambient/room temp was around, say, 19C ... it's less good.

For the rad, the important temp is the coolant temp. Again, that's a matter of delta from ambient. Liquid will also warm up (and cool down) far slower than the air (or processor) as it has a much higher heat capacity.

Certainly an option if you are short on fan headers as you'll typically want to run them as unit anyway.

Room Temp is about 19-22c constantly. At 22c right now its saying my exhaust temp is 29.10c, Water Temp 29.20c. At those temps and just idle CPU package is 38c and soon as I open a web page and click around the package jumps to 54-58c is that normal? After gaming for about 30-45mins my temps are as follows water 41.20c, exhaust 32.60c, package 71.13c, gpu 64.94c. I dont know if thats good or bad. I dont have any OC or anything running everything stock..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your temps are OK. There's nothing that you've mentioned that sounds like something that's a concern. Modern CPUs to spike temps quickly with any activity. When something does work, that requires energy. Energy is never fully converted to work. The energy that's not converted directly to work is your waste heat. So when you do something, even something little, that work will generate waste heat as CPUs aren't even close to 100% efficiency. Since CPUs are both small and have a low specific heat, they will warm up quickly. The same goes for the GPU but a GPU with a block will more efficiently transfer the heat to the block (and liquid) than the CPU because it's a direct contact - there's no heat spreader getting in the way.

It does, however, sound like it could be better. If I understand your setup correctly, you have one radiator in the front as intake and one at the top as exhaust. This does reduce the cooling ability of the system as you have waste heat being shed by one radiator and then that heat is fed through the second radiator. You should have them as both exhaust or both intake for better loop efficiency.

Control variables for the fan speeds on radiators should be from the loop temperature. It's the liquid/loop that's being cooled. Airflow fans (for the case) should be based on the reading from a temp sensor indicating the temp of the case. Placing a single temp sensor in the exhaust flow of a exhaust case fan is a good strategy for this but you can also experiment with placement to see if there are any particular "hot spots" within the case. Depending on airflow, you could have a difference of 2-5C between different parts of the case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 5:58 AM, DevBiker said:

Your temps are OK. There's nothing that you've mentioned that sounds like something that's a concern. Modern CPUs to spike temps quickly with any activity. When something does work, that requires energy. Energy is never fully converted to work. The energy that's not converted directly to work is your waste heat. So when you do something, even something little, that work will generate waste heat as CPUs aren't even close to 100% efficiency. Since CPUs are both small and have a low specific heat, they will warm up quickly. The same goes for the GPU but a GPU with a block will more efficiently transfer the heat to the block (and liquid) than the CPU because it's a direct contact - there's no heat spreader getting in the way.

It does, however, sound like it could be better. If I understand your setup correctly, you have one radiator in the front as intake and one at the top as exhaust. This does reduce the cooling ability of the system as you have waste heat being shed by one radiator and then that heat is fed through the second radiator. You should have them as both exhaust or both intake for better loop efficiency.

Control variables for the fan speeds on radiators should be from the loop temperature. It's the liquid/loop that's being cooled. Airflow fans (for the case) should be based on the reading from a temp sensor indicating the temp of the case. Placing a single temp sensor in the exhaust flow of a exhaust case fan is a good strategy for this but you can also experiment with placement to see if there are any particular "hot spots" within the case. Depending on airflow, you could have a difference of 2-5C between different parts of the case.

 

Thanks helping me on this I really appreciate it.

for my case I have 3 fans as intake on the front, one 360 rad pushing out the side case exhaust, 1 rad 360 pushing exhaust out the top and that one rear fan as exhaust out the back I have a sensor measuring air coming out the back of the case right in the fans flow that fan is set to balance setting. Center has a temp reading 30.40 same as the exhaust at the current timed. All the rad fans I have on the hydro x fan setting. the 3 intakes set to quite which just max's them to 1838rpm and never goes down. Using the default profiles I cant choose what temp the fans are going use and think I need to make custom profiles to maybe get a better handle on everything. I just don't know how that do that  Here is a pic of my system I'm just stuck with setting fans at what rpm and what speed are the correct for the water pump if it needs it. First pic  blue fans is front no rad just pulling in straight in. Second pic show the 1 on the side in exhaust and One Rad on top doing the same dumping heat out of the case.  Always hate using the presets cause I cant control if its off the exhaust temp, cooling pump fluid, or CPU package which I think it does. Thanks again hopefully I made sense,

 

 

IMG_8025.thumb.jpeg.1ddd408670021191ccd293d1d228f756.jpeg1869856553_download1.png.4d996b360a33d23a2c1bc6317f74f6c6.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent. It sounds like you have the airflow done well and don't have radiator heat feeding into another.

The other thing to look at is the top that you have on the case. The 5000X comes with a glass top, IIRC. That glass top will interfere with getting heat out of the case - it acts as a "heat barrier". This then leads to a 'column' of warmer air that then recirculates through the radiator. This will become a feedback loop, too, and only get worse. Replacing the glass top of the 5000X with the airflow top (which is available separately and completely cross-compatible) will help. If you want to test if it'll make a difference, just remove the top glass panel for a bit and see what that does to temps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DevBiker said:

Excellent. It sounds like you have the airflow done well and don't have radiator heat feeding into another.

The other thing to look at is the top that you have on the case. The 5000X comes with a glass top, IIRC. That glass top will interfere with getting heat out of the case - it acts as a "heat barrier". This then leads to a 'column' of warmer air that then recirculates through the radiator. This will become a feedback loop, too, and only get worse. Replacing the glass top of the 5000X with the airflow top (which is available separately and completely cross-compatible) will help. If you want to test if it'll make a difference, just remove the top glass panel for a bit and see what that does to temps.

Ok I will give that a test. Would you pull the dust filters also? I tried using the stock hydro fan and pump settings and the quite settings on the intake fans while encoding a video and my cpu package shot up to 80-83c and stayed the whole time and the water temp stayed in the 27c. Is that a normal temp? To me it seemed really high. When I looked in icue the intake fans were all at 1800rpm and the exhaust fans on the hydro settings all at 560rpm. Seems incorrect to me but not sure what temp icue uses to ramp them up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...