Corsair Community

I’ve been the owner of the a200 Pro for ~9 hours

A couple ups but mostly downs so far and the negatives here are so worrying that I’m close to just returning this instead.

Within the first hour I had issues with cooling. Yes, it’s a SFF system and I understand the trade offs. The issue here actually seems to be the iCue software failing to control the single fan correctly resulting in AIO coolant overheating. Less than an hour of uptime with this system summoned the blinking single red LED, and I wasn’t even playing games or putting heavy load on it, I was just running through basic set up.

I can’t even set a custom fan curve so I had to fix the fan speed at 100% to get the coolant and CPU temps down enough to play something. At 100% this thing is far louder than my previous system that was more than double the size. Kinda beats the purpose.

In all fairness, performance is good when there’s enough cooling but not being able to use a curve feels ridiculous on an almost £4000 system. It’s already unbelievable that the £4000 system can’t regulate the fan on its own.

A couple hours later, the next issue hit. The front LEDs disconnecting and the fan stopping every single time this happens. Windows makes the disconnected device audio and the RGB on the front flashes off and then back on, alongside this the top fan will stop and take some time to ramp up again - resulting in coolant overheating again. I had to dig around this forum to find out it’s a b550/x570 issue and eventually found that some motherboard manufacturers have released BIOS updates for this. From what I can tell, this update has not been made available for the a200 pro as it uses a custom Corsair specific BIOS and there’s no mention of this ever being provided for us.

In less than 12 hours I feel I’m left with no choice other than to just get rid of this PC. As much as I love the look and idea, the support here seems abysmal for a product at this price point. A certain poster here seems to pop up on most of the threads regarding this system and that person is STILL trying to get answers regarding the fan issue.

All I want is for this thing to work and I’m  willing to look past it being overpriced in exchange for a great looking system from a respected brand but support need to give me something to hang on to within the next few days.

I bought my A200 Pro 3 months ago. My unit has 5950x and 3080 Ti. I stress tested my unit and did a few things in the 30-day return period. I decided to keep it. It has worked well for me. Let me share my finding and see if it helps.

I would upgrade all device drivers and firmware first. I have never had problems with iCUE since I got it in September. But the current version, V4.18.209, runs pretty well too. So I would upgrade to that version. All software modules for A200 listed on Corsair website are out of date. (Corsair, please grow up and be a real computer company.) You can upgrade all of them yourself without Corsair's help though, except the BIOS. The base BIOS came from ASRock and Corsair modified it to reduce the CPU power so it won't overheat. This is needed to keep it in a SFF computer without adequate cooling. But the BIOS C1.34 is two generations behind ASRock's BIOS and 5 months behind ASRock's current version. 

Next I would increase the base fan speed to 950rpm. The default value is a bit too low, IMO. The iCUE software is actually very nice. I configured the front LEDs to reflect the temperature levels of various key components.

image.thumb.png.14a89c8f2785dba2cfecd59f3860f6e8.png

I am not a gamer. I use my A200 for AI software development. The GPU performance is a key for me. I am happy to report that the GPU works quite well and has good cooling. (Good job, Corsair!) But if you need to stress the CPU and have a lot of SSD I/O, I would recommend returning the unit. The cooling design of Corsair One is that it draws the hot air from the radiators inside and it heats up everything. The SSD is designed to operate up to 70C. You'll find it overheat quickly in the above situation.

I still have my Mac Pro 6,1 (aka Trashcan). It is even smaller than A200. It has a 135W CPU and two GPUs. Apple has done a good job in cooling this machine. Corsair may have borrowed the design idea from Apple. But the biggest difference in cooling is that MP 6,1 draws cool air from the bottom and exhaust from the top, while Corsair One draws hot air from the side radiators and exhaust from the top. You can see how it would impact everything.

There is a lot to learn for Corsair to sell computers instead of just components. Their support and software upgrade are two weak areas indeed. 

24 minutes ago, vett93 said:

I bought my A200 Pro 3 months ago. My unit has 5950x and 3080 Ti. I stress tested my unit and did a few things in the 30-day return period. I decided to keep it. It has worked well for me. Let me share my finding and see if it helps.

I would upgrade all device drivers and firmware first. I have never had problems with iCUE since I got it in September. But the current version, V4.18.209, runs pretty well too. So I would upgrade to that version. All software modules for A200 listed on Corsair website are out of date. (Corsair, please grow up and be a real computer company.) You can upgrade all of them yourself without Corsair's help though, except the BIOS. The base BIOS came from ASRock and Corsair modified it to reduce the CPU power so it won't overheat. This is needed to keep it in a SFF computer without adequate cooling. But the BIOS C1.34 is two generations behind ASRock's BIOS and 5 months behind ASRock's current version. 

Next I would increase the base fan speed to 950rpm. The default value is a bit too low, IMO. The iCUE software is actually very nice. I configured the front LEDs to reflect the temperature levels of various key components.

image.thumb.png.14a89c8f2785dba2cfecd59f3860f6e8.png

I am not a gamer. I use my A200 for AI software development. The GPU performance is a key for me. I am happy to report that the GPU works quite well and has good cooling. (Good job, Corsair!) But if you need to stress the CPU and have a lot of SSD I/O, I would recommend returning the unit. The cooling design of Corsair One is that it draws the hot air from the radiators inside and it heats up everything. The SSD is designed to operate up to 70C. You'll find it overheat quickly in the above situation.

I still have my Mac Pro 6,1 (aka Trashcan). It is even smaller than A200. It has a 135W CPU and two GPUs. Apple has done a good job in cooling this machine. Corsair may have borrowed the design idea from Apple. But the biggest difference in cooling is that MP 6,1 draws cool air from the bottom and exhaust from the top, while Corsair One draws hot air from the side radiators and exhaust from the top. You can see how it would impact everything.

There is a lot to learn for Corsair to sell computers instead of just components. Their support and software upgrade are two weak areas indeed. 

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. I’ve already done most of what you mentioned, for me the issue really seems to land with the cooling. iCue will not boost the fan when needed, even if I set it to my own percentage it will either ignore it completely or take several minutes to apply it. Because it won’t boost on its own, it’s overheating with any kind of load after about 5 minutes as the coolant gets too hot. Combined with the random disconnect issue, even if the cooling does work when I set it, the disconnect will kill the fan anyway again leading to overheating.

Can I ask are you on W10? I’m on W11 and have seen some around here mention issues being related to W11. 

I have been able to locate the files that contains the default fan curve, for me all values were set to 0 except for 1 temp zone. I believed this may be related but after modifying the values I still have no luck. I would really appreciate if you could provide me your copy of those same files if I guide you to their location. Maybe my iCue settings are messed up and using yours may help in some way.

thanks

I started on W10 and moved to W11 3 weeks ago. Both work fine. IMO, you don't need to adjust the fan curve. It works well. You probably knew this already. The fan percentage is for baseline fan speed. It will go faster as it heats up. For example, I created a new profile and set the fan percentage at 45%. So the fan runs at 950rpm. When it heats up, it will go faster. 

It has its own algorithm to increase and decrease the fan speed. From my experience, it works very well. Can you say more about overheating? How do you determine it is overheating? BTW, I run Cinebench R23 multicore for 30 minutes and no overheating at all. 

I am happy to share my files. Let me know what you need. But no warranty though. 🙂

One question for you: did your A200 Pro come with W11? Or it came with W10 and you upgraded it to W11? According to ASRock website, they have a new BIOS for W11. The Corsair BIOS is two generations behind and does not have the W11 compatibility upgrade. So it might impact some units.

For more info, check out ASRock website: ASRock > B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax

19 minutes ago, vett93 said:

I started on W10 and moved to W11 3 weeks ago. Both work fine. IMO, you don't need to adjust the fan curve. It works well. You probably knew this already. The fan percentage is for baseline fan speed. It will go faster as it heats up. For example, I created a new profile and set the fan percentage at 45%. So the fan runs at 950rpm. When it heats up, it will go faster. 

It has its own algorithm to increase and decrease the fan speed. From my experience, it works very well. Can you say more about overheating? How do you determine it is overheating? BTW, I run Cinebench R23 multicore for 30 minutes and no overheating at all. 

I am happy to share my files. Let me know what you need. But no warranty though. 🙂

Yeah I’m aware of how the default fan settings SHOULD work but that seems to be the issue here. Mine simply isn’t increasing the fan speed when it needs to. By overheating I’m referring to it as Corsair themselves specify. The right LED strip on the case flashes red and the case fan goes to 100% for some time to cool down the AIO coolants in thermal ‘emergency’. When I can get the fan to run high enough, it can cool the components sufficiently and keep the coolant low, but because it isn’t properly controlling the fan, these overheats are happening every few minutes when under load.

My system was on W10 when it arrived, I upgraded to W11 pretty much immediately as I’m used to it from my previous system. Because I upgraded right away, I can’t say if it was functional on W10 unfortunately but I am considering going back and testing. 

Regarding the files, I’m away from the PC now and I can’t remember where exactly but some are in C:/ProgramData and some are in C:/Users/you/appdata/local and roaming. They have file names containing ‘curve’, ‘cooling’ etc.

Just to add to what I mean with the fan: I could be playing BF 2042 with CPU temps around 65c-75c, the CPU coolant will start to rise to around 58c very quickly but the fan will sit locked at 0 RPM. 58c on the coolant is obviously very close to the limit of 60c before the system begins automatic stress cooling and flashes the lights but it still doesn’t ramp up the fan at all. Because there is no fan cooling, it rises past 60c and begins emergency cooling.

7 minutes ago, AFTRMTH said:

Just to add to what I mean with the fan: I could be playing BF 2042 with CPU temps around 65c-75c, the CPU coolant will start to rise to around 58c very quickly but the fan will sit locked at 0 RPM. 58c on the coolant is obviously very close to the limit of 60c before the system begins automatic stress cooling and flashes the lights but it still doesn’t ramp up the fan at all. Because there is no fan cooling, it rises past 60c and begins emergency cooling.

This does not look right. I just did another 30 minutes Cinebench R23 multicore benchmark. It stressed the CPU at 100% for 30 minutes. The fan speed ramped up when CPU coolant reached 46-47C. The CPU coolant would then stay between 47 and 48C for the entire duration while the fan speed ranged between 1,000 and 1,100rpm. I think it is a very good fan control.

Did you modify the BIOS? I believe Corsair did something to the BIOS to detune the CPU to keep it cool. In an older thread in this forum, there was one Corsair employee claiming it would void the warranty if one changed the BIOS. 

Let me know the file paths of the specific files you need. I don't see these files in AppData. My understanding is that the fan control was in the BIOS. But I could be wrong. I did see the fan curve in the BIOS setting though. 

19 minutes ago, vett93 said:

This does not look right. I just did another 30 minutes Cinebench R23 multicore benchmark. It stressed the CPU at 100% for 30 minutes. The fan speed ramped up when CPU coolant reached 46-47C. The CPU coolant would then stay between 47 and 48C for the entire duration while the fan speed ranged between 1,000 and 1,100rpm. I think it is a very good fan control.

Did you modify the BIOS? I believe Corsair did something to the BIOS to detune the CPU to keep it cool. In an older thread in this forum, there was one Corsair employee claiming it would void the warranty if one changed the BIOS. 

Let me know the file paths of the specific files you need. I don't see these files in AppData. My understanding is that the fan control was in the BIOS. But I could be wrong. I did see the fan curve in the BIOS setting though. 

I haven’t changed the BIOS, I did install the BIOS update listed on Corsairs download page for the C1 but that was long after the issues began. I’ll get back to you with the paths when I’m home and I can find the exact ones. Thanks again

4 hours ago, vett93 said:

Hi again.

The specific files are DefaultCurves at C:\ProgramData\Corsair\CUE4\Settings and configurations at Appdata\Roaming\Corsair\CUE4\cooling

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, AFTRMTH said:

Hi again.

The specific files are DefaultCurves at C:\ProgramData\Corsair\CUE4\Settings and configurations at Appdata\Roaming\Corsair\CUE4\cooling

Thanks in advance.

Let me know when you are done. I'll take down the links.

7 hours ago, vett93 said:

In an older thread in this forum, there was one Corsair employee claiming it would void the warranty if one changed the BIOS.

Got a link? Couldn't find one myself.

12 minutes ago, vett93 said:

Also, post editing is limited to 5 min. I've removed the links. I'd suggest PMing the links to them if you don't want them public.

21 minutes ago, vett93 said:

Thanks for those, I got them before the links were removed so don't worry about PMing them to me.

I looked at the values for your default fan curve and they look how they should. This is how mine look (even after applying your config files):

2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Read performance settings (Fan #0, Mode = DefaultCPUGPUInternalTemp) 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================ 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp:    30    0    0    0    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM:    0    0    0    0    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | ============================================================ 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp:    0    0    0    46    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM:    0    0    33    0    0    0    0 

Pretty sure this is why my fan won't move from 0 RPM unless I force it. I did a system restore to not long after I first powered it on and have since regained manual control of the fan so I can at least use it now, but if I can't find a fix for this default curve issue or Corsair don't get back to me in time I'll still be returning it.

Also worth noting that the LED flickering issue was gone after the restore but unfortunatley happened again as I was typing this.

25 minutes ago, AFTRMTH said:

Thanks for those, I got them before the links were removed so don't worry about PMing them to me.

I looked at the values for your default fan curve and they look how they should. This is how mine look (even after applying your config files):

2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Read performance settings (Fan #0, Mode = DefaultCPUGPUInternalTemp) 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp:    30    0    0    0    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM:    0    0    0    0    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | Temp:    0    0    0    46    0    0    0 
2022-01-01 04:34:37.9619 | 12 | INFO | Corsair ONE | PWM:    0    0    33    0    0    0    0 

Pretty sure this is why my fan won't move from 0 RPM unless I force it. I did a system restore to not long after I first powered it on and have since regained manual control of the fan so I can at least use it now, but if I can't find a fix for this default curve issue or Corsair don't get back to me in time I'll still be returning it.

Also worth noting that the LED flickering issue was gone after the restore but unfortunatley happened again as I was typing this.

Sorry I don't have expertise here to help. I have never changed or even looked into these files. My iCUE just works very well from the moment I started my A200 Pro. 

40 minutes ago, Wired said:

Got a link? Couldn't find one myself.

Also, post editing is limited to 5 min. I've removed the links. I'd suggest PMing the links to them if you don't want them public.

I don't understand what you meant here by post editing. There was no post editing in my post.

15 minutes ago, vett93 said:

Sorry I don't have expertise here to help. I have never changed or even looked into these files. My iCUE just works very well from the moment I started my A200 Pro. 

Don’t worry about it, I would expect the support from the people who took my money lol

Currently doing a full factory reset from Corsair’s recovery partition, after this my efforts are exhausted so fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help

15 minutes ago, vett93 said:

I don't understand what you meant here by post editing. There was no post editing in my post.

What I meant was, you said you were going to edit your post to remove it, but you didn't know you wouldn't be able to after 5 minutes. So, I proactively did it for you.

3 minutes ago, Wired said:

What I meant was, you said you were going to edit your post to remove it, but you didn't know you wouldn't be able to after 5 minutes. So, I proactively did it for you.

Got it. Thanks. I was thinking to take down the links from my Amazon Cloud Drive. 

AFTRMTH, I will give one suggestion if you are interested in trying. While you are waiting for corsair to get back to you, you could look into connecting the top fan to the motherboard directly. Right now it is connected to the liquid cooler pump and so it uses the built in curve that we know doesn't work in your system. So instead, if you plug the fan to the motherboard, you will be able to create your own fan curve in the BIOS and set it to monitor CPU temps. This of course means you won't be able to adjust the fan using iCUE but it already wasn't working anyway so you're not loosing much. You will most likely need a PWM fan connection extension because I believe the fan cable is short as it connects to the pump from the top of the case. Again this can be temporary while you wait, but at least you will be able to use your system with less worry and the fan will react to CPU temps properly. Check out the link to see what the extension cable looks like. 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=486&area=en

Edited by EchoSierra

• Corsair Employees

@AFTRMTH - thanks for bringing this to our attention, and unfortunate to hear you're experiencing some high temps.  I've passed your feedback on to our development team to look into.  In the meantime, do you experience the same issues when iCUE is completely closed and exited out of?  What are your CPU temps when the system is idle?  Also, have you created a support ticket already through our support portal?

https://support.corsair.com/