Corsair Community

H115i RGB Pro XT - radiator fans running ~1800RPM all the time

mikehd

I was playing a game this afternoon when I noticed my fans were ramped up quite a bit. I stopped the game and saw the CPU temperature drop from ~40-50C down to the normal ~30C idle. However, the radiator fans didn't slow down. Coolant temperature is 23C, CPU is idle @ ~27C, case fans are ~800 RPM, but the 2 radiator fans continue to run at ~1800RPM.

I've rebooted with no change, changing the cooling profile does nothing (not even zero RPM mode). I can control RGB via iCUE but that's all I can control. HWINFO is off. No other Windows based fan control software running.

Any suggestions on getting my fans to respond again?

Are you using the standard presets or a custom curve?  If your own curve, make sure H115i XT Temp is the control variable (sensor choice). 

Do a full shutdown, then flip off the PSU for 10-15 seconds. Then turn it back on and boot normally. You need a full shutdown to power cycle the fan controller and you won’t get that on a restart. If it is still stuck after that, then likely had a controller lock up. We don’t see a lot of that on the XT, but I did happen on the Platinum series with a similar controller now and then. In the CUE app XT device section, check for a firmware update (none), then “force update”.  The cooler will drop out for a few seconds as it reloads. This usually restores fan control. 

• Thanks 1

@c-attack - my post I did the first part of your suggestion (full off, turn off PSU for 10-15 seconds) with no change. I was on the Extreme profile and tried all the others, even zero RPM. I'll try the firmware forced update next.

That did the trick. Any idea what may have lead to the lockup? I only run razer synapse for my keyboard/mouse. Gigabyte RGB fusion was ran to set the mobo color but is now uninstalled.

thanks again for the help

1 hour ago, mikehd said:

Any idea what may have lead to the lockup?

Hard to say but since a firmware update fixed it, something probably went amiss in the MCU on the device. Why? How? It's a mystery. It could (seriously) have been random cosmic rays for all we know.

This seems to happen to Platinum/XT coolers every now and then. However, most users are one time victims and not on the regular bad end of this. That would seem to put the cause somewhere else other than your personal actions or adjacent software. 

The one repeatable conflict we know of us is when running HWiNFO, AIDA, or similar and that program attempts to access the AIO or Commander at the same time as CUE. That also can cause loss of fan control, but it shows itself in additional ways like garbage data, impossible voltages or temps, and previously mentioned loss of fan control. One of the ways to distinguish the two is the AIO fan controller lock up is always full speed and typically happens at boot or on a bad firmware update. The software interference will cause loss of control, but the speeds tend to vary or occur in erratic steps. 

Edited by c-attack

I may have had HWINFO running, but read about the conflicts with iCUE and disabled the iCUE integration in the HWINFO's  "safety" tab. I didn't notice any of the symptoms you describe (garbage data, etc). 

It's been stable since, so thanks again for the help.