Corsair Community

7 Fans, One Commander Core

Alex_99

Hello!

Sorry if this is a common question, I had a look but couldn't quite find what I was after.

My current setup is:

• 3 fans on front
    • RGB and fan connected to Commander Core
  • 3 fans on top radiator
    • RGB and fan connected to Commander Core
  • 1 exhaust fan on back
    • RGB connected to a Lighting Node CORE (which came in the Corsair QL 3 pack)
    • Fan connected to the case (Corsair 5000D) PWM controller, which in turn is connected to the CPU header

FanSetup.thumb.png.8cd6e3bd6f24799b74e549a0489e985b.png

In iCUE I can't seem to find RGB options for the 7th fan - the Lighting Node isn't showing up in the software. However if I use one of the default scenes, the fan does change to the same colour as the rest of the fans so it is clearly being recognised somewhere.

Would there be a suggestion for a better setup than this? Do I possibly need to get a Commander Pro into which I would plug both the Commander Core and the Lighting Node?

Cheers

• Like 1

You might consider using the PWM repeater in the back for either the three radiator or front three intake fans. It will make them all run the same speed, but there is no reason to to run the the radiator fans at different speeds. This would free up two more Commander Core PWM ports, one of which can take the rear fan. Now all speed control is in CUE. 

The 7th RGB fan is always a hard decision. There are 3rd party splitters, but this twins it with another fan. Ok for static effects. Not so good for waves and moving patterns. Adding another lighting controller is the official supported option, but this creates two lighting groups for the fans (6+1, 3+4, etc). What’s best may depend on your exact fan type and location. So are you using any QL?  Or is this a combination of Sp-elite and ml-elite?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

You might consider using the PWM repeater in the back for either the three radiator or front three intake fans. It will make them all run the same speed, but there is no reason to to run the the radiator fans at different speeds. This would free up two more Commander Core PWM ports, one of which can take the rear fan. Now all speed control is in CUE. 

I like this idea, it would kind of make sense for the AIO fans to be driven from the CPU header as well. Would these be controllable from CUE (detected as a single fan I assume?) or would it all just be driven from the motherboard / some other software like Armory Crate?

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

The 7th RGB fan is always a hard decision. There are 3rd party splitters, but this twins it with another fan. Ok for static effects. Not so good for waves and moving patterns. Adding another lighting controller is the official supported option, but this creates two lighting groups for the fans (6+1, 3+4, etc). What’s best may depend on your exact fan type and location. So are you using any QL?  Or is this a combination of Sp-elite and ml-elite?  

There are 4 QL fans, and the 3 ML fans that come with the h150i AIO. The 7th one is a QL fan.

Is the RBG lighting node that came in the QL 3 pack, plugged directly into MB USB header not actually doing anything? Does it need to be connected to a Commander Pro or something for it to show up as an RGB controller in CUE?

Cheers!

You do not connect any of the fans to cpu-fan on the MB. That header is made for a small air cooler and will respond aggressively regardless of settings. It is a good place for the dummy tachometer wire from the Commander Core. That will give you a bios level warning if the pump does not respond at power on. 

I would try to split the QL and ML onto different controllers 4+3. The Ml will never be able to do the ring effects. It doesn’t matter which fan type goes on which controller. If the ML-Elite or SP-Elite are on the radiator up top, I would probably put them on the Com Core and the QL on the LNCore, but this is a minor detail when using lighting link patterns visor and color wave. 

All Corsair RGB controllers aside from the Commander Core/XT require you to manually designate fan type (led count) and number. Since it lights up on the scene, power and usb must be there. I suspect you only need to do the lighting setup tab to create the necessary UI elements for the lighting effects tab. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your tips, I really appreciate it mate!

Just a couple of quick closing questions:

• You mentioned not to plug anything into the CPU header - I believe this will cause a bios error to appear when booting? Is it all good to just set that to "ignore" in bios settings?
  • I assume if I put the 3 radiator fans into the PWM, then the PWM into the Commander Core it will show up in CUE as a single fan which I just control all at the same time? That seems reasonable
  • Other than making sure there aren't gaps on the RGB controllers does the ordering matter all that much? I'll probably mostly be using static colours or just RGB wave or something so probably not a big deal?

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Alex_99 said:

You mentioned not to plug anything into the CPU header - I believe this will cause a bios error to appear when booting? Is it all good to just set that to "ignore" in bios settings?

No ... use the connector from the pump for a dummy tach reading. It also serves as warning in the event of pump failure.

6 minutes ago, Alex_99 said:

I assume if I put the 3 radiator fans into the PWM, then the PWM into the Commander Core it will show up in CUE as a single fan which I just control all at the same time? That seems reasonable

Yup. Great for radiator fans as it keeps 'em synched and you don't care about them individually.

7 minutes ago, Alex_99 said:

Other than making sure there aren't gaps on the RGB controllers does the ordering matter all that much? I'll probably mostly be using static colours or just RGB wave or something so probably not a big deal?

Depends on the effects that you want. They will flow from one to the next on the same channel. So typically you want to be cognizant of that when you arrange them in the case. I like to label them with tags so they are easy to identify later.

1) The Commander Core will have a tachometer wire masquerading as a full connector.  This goes to CPU fan and serves as the BIOS CPU fan error communicator.  It is triggered if the pump doesn't talk back.  Otherwise, you disable the warning system.  

2) Yes, any fans on the PWM repeater will show up as "one fan" in the CUE software and assigned to whichever port it is connected to on the Com Core.  The repeater will have a lead fan, usually indicated by a dot or a #1.  That is the control fan for the others, just like on a splitter.  

3) Technically the Commander Core has individual RGB ports, so 1-2-3 order does not matter.  However, it still does matter for all the other controllers, so you might as well stick with best practices.  Normal fan effects are local to that channel or controller only.  However, there are two moving Lighting Link effects (color wave and visor) that move through the entire system.  So the QL fans will fire before the Commander Core + pump LEDs.  It still doesn't really matter for color wave and this only comes up when someone wants to run the visor pattern from fan 1 to fan 9/12/15 etc. across multiple controllers.  

KB -> Mouse -> RGB mouse pad -> Lighting Node Pro -> Lighting Node Core -> Commander Pro -> Commander Core -> RAM -> External Ambient Lighting (LS100, LT100, ST100).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

No ... use the connector from the pump for a dummy tach reading. It also serves as warning in the event of pump failure.

Hmm I only remember one connector from the pump which I put into the MB AIO_PUMP header, that would be right wouldn't it?

Technically it doesn't matter where you put it, as far as AIO operation goes.  All the pump/fan power and lighting comes from the SATA.  The tach wire's only real purpose is that CPU warning system.

AIO pump is a name created by the MB makers.  It used to be a chassis fan header and now it comes locked at 100% out of the box.  On some boards you can't change this and that is a tragedy.  Better boards will allow you to unlock it and make it a useful fan header again.  This would have been a nice idea 7 years ago when all the AIOs used the MB for power.  Now only the smallest, least expensive AIOs do and most coolers use SATA for power.  AIO pump has no special properties or benefits and it offers no control over anything in the Corsair system.  

Edited by c-attack

45 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Technically it doesn't matter where you put it, as far as AIO operation goes.  All the pump/fan power and lighting comes from the SATA.  The tach wire's only real purpose is that CPU warning system.

AIO pump is a name created by the MB makers.  It used to be a chassis fan header and now it comes locked at 100% out of the box.  On some boards you can't change this and that is a tragedy.  Better boards will allow you to unlock it and make it a useful fan header again.  This would have been a nice idea 7 years ago when all the AIOs used the MB for power.  Now only the smallest, least expensive AIOs do and most coolers use SATA for power.  AIO pump has no special properties or benefits and it offers no control over anything in the Corsair system.  

Interesting! So you reckon I just move that over to the CPU_HEAD instead, then that way no need to worry about bios warnings, and functionally will do the same job? 

Yes, the tach lead should go on cpu-fan unless there is a physical reason not to (can’t reach, too many wires, etc). 

• Thanks 1