Corsair Community

Fans, LED Strips and PSU LED connection help?

kidvermin

OK guys I need some help with this problem.  I received a Corsair RGB LED Lighting pro Expansion Kit, which contains 4 LED strips, at Christmas and I need help to figure out how to connect this into my PC. 

I am wanting to connect all of the following components together

• Corsair CX750F RGB, 80 PLUS Bronze Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • CORSAIR RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit - 4 LED strips
  • Four Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB, 120 mm RGB LED PWM Fans  
  • Two 120 mm CORSAIR ML RGB Series PWM Fans
  • Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler.

I have a Commander Core and a Corsair Lighting Node Core.
I have a ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming motherboard.

Hopefully I can do this without needing any more equipment.  Do I need or should I buy a Corsair icue Commander Core XT.

Can anyone give me a dummies guide how to connect all these devices together to allow me to use the icue software to control these.

1) Lighting Node Pro (strip kit) - There should be a small RGB controller (Lighting Node Pro "LNP") with this.  You need it since the Commander Core from the AIO kit does not do strips, Hydro X, or have RGB channels like the Pro devices.  The 4 strips can go on channel 1 or 2. This will be true for all of the options below.

2) Commander Core - required for the AIO and power to the pump is routed through it.  All 6 fans can go here for PWM speed control.  The RGB has some options.

a) Mix QL + ML-Elite on the Com Core RGB headers.  The device will auto-detect by type and change lighting effects to make them work.  However, nothing you can do to make a center hub LED fan like the ML-E do ring effects like the QL.  It can't do pong, gate, or any of the other special QL ring presets.  That leaves the PSU RGB fan to be controlled via the MB RGB port, the switch on the PSU, or a RGB HUB or 3rd party extension to the Lighting Node Pro to make a fan behave like a strip.  This is likely the easiest in terms of hardware, but may not produce the desired effects on the fans.

b) Split ML-Elite + PSU fan and QL fans into two lighting groups (2 controllers).  The PWM speed connectors all stay on the Commander Core, but you split the RGB up.  Assuming the two ML-E are on a top mounted radiator, you would probably put those two plus the PSU RGB fan as 1-2-3 on the Commander Core.  Then you connect the RGB wire from the 4 QL to your Lighting Node Core controller.  Now QL fans can do their proper sequences and the all the interior fans are under CUE control.  The radiator and PSU fan are all 8 center LEDs, so the effects are the same and this becomes the central lighting area of the case (PSU - pump - top fans) while the QL go front to rear(?).  This requires the use of the extra controller, but will give the truest RGB control for all the devices in the case.  

c) There are some other possibilities using the second channel on the LNP to power the ML-E and PSU fan, but it would require you to find a RGB Lighting Hub.  Those are only $10, but hard to find right now.  It's only slightly smaller than the LNCore which would drop from the build, but unless you are super tight on space or a minimalist, this is not my first choice.  It also would separate the pump from the top to bottom lighting groups on the Commander Core.  

• Like 1

In the above, option "B" is likely your best choice, really. The only caveat is that you'll need another internal USB port or you can use an internal hub.

Depending on your wiring skills and comfort level, you could, actually combine the USB connectors for the LNC and CoCore into a single connector.

• Like 1

No, there are no RGB channel ports on the Commander Core or Lighting Node Core. This is why you need the Lighting Node Pro from the strip kit. 

Correct, it's only the Core XT that has an extra RGB channel.

45 minutes ago, kidvermin said:

😓 My RGB LED lighting pro expansion kit didn't come with a Lighting Node Pro.  Looks i will need to pick one of those up

Correct, the expansion doesn't include controller, just like other expansion products Corsair is offering :)

So you need either: Commander core XT, commander PRO or lightning node pro

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Conver said:

Correct, the expansion doesn't include controller, just like other expansion products Corsair is offering 🙂

So you need either: Commander core XT, commander PRO or lightning node pro

So with that mind and taking into account all the devices i want to connect up, what piece of equipment would i be best suited to purchase, a Commander core XT, commander PRO or lightning node pro ????

11 minutes ago, kidvermin said:

So with that mind and taking into account all the devices i want to connect up, what piece of equipment would i be best suited to purchase, a Commander core XT, commander PRO or lightning node pro ????

That's kinda only a question yourself can answer :) But I can give some pointers as I own all 3 of them.

Commander PRO: Here you will be able 2 control 6 PWM fans, 2 RGB channels (1 channel for 6 RGB fans (thru hub), and 1 extra channel for your RGB strips) and you'll have 4 temp. sensors to place in your cabinet.

Lightning pro: Here you get 2 RGB channels like on the commander pro, where you can use a fan RGB hub to light up 6 fans and your strips.

Commander XT: Here you can connect 6  fans together with their RGB plus an extra RGB channel for your strips.

hope that helps :)

(I would go for the commander pro, to get the most out of it)

• Like 1

So can i just clarify the complete setup i would need to controll all my devices, AIO, 6 fans, LED strips and RGB psu.

I have a commander core and a lighting node core.  If i purchased a commander Pro would i still need to use CC and LNC.  Can you explain exactly how all these would be connected together ????

sorry for the stupid questions...

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, kidvermin said:

sorry for the stupid questions...

Stupid questions doesn't exist, only stupid answers ;)

the 6 fans is that including the AIO or?

And you already got the commander core? So what's missing is the RGB from the strips and PSU. Did I miss something?

- Just want to be sure before I recommend anything :)

• Like 1

6 fans plus a H100i ELITE CAPELLIX cooler. 

I have 4 Four Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB, 120 mm RGB LED PWM Fans  and Two 120 mm CORSAIR ML RGB Series PWM Fans which are attached to the rad on the AIO

I got the commander core with the AIO.

I need somehow to get the RGB psu and LED strips hooked up so i can control them via iCue

3 minutes ago, kidvermin said:

I need somehow to get the RGB psu and LED strips hooked up so i can control them via iCue

And that's the only things missing to make it all work?

If that's it's then you can do with the LNP, BUT... The price difference from LNP and CP is so slim that I would still go with the CP, you'll get your light working AND get 6 extra fan controller and 4 spare/extra temp sensor. So that if you decide to add more later on, you'll already have what's needed. With the LNP, you'll only get to the RGB and will have to invest more later on if you want to add more fans or temp sensor

• Like 1

So you don't have the strip kit with the Lighting Node Pro?  It's just the extensions?  That thing is from another point in time and they are moving away from that system, thus the predicament you find yourself in.

• You MUST use the Commander Core with your AIO.  Power to the pump is routed through it.  That makes a Commander Pro a very, very large LED strip controller that does not have another function for you at this time.  It can't replace the Lighting Node Core either unless you can find a RGB Lighting Hub.  So it's Commander Pro + RGB Lighting Hub.   That is going to be a bad deal.  You would be better off with a Commander Core XT if forced to go this route since it has the RGB channel port for the strips, plus the 6 more fans RGB and PWM, neither or which you need, but will run you at least $20-30 less. 
  • I would try ebay or any other 3rd party seller for a Lighting Node Pro.  They used to come in all the fan packs and you always had more than needed.  There still should be a surplus of those out there.
  • If neither of those are feasible, a 3rd party adapter to connect the RGB strips to the MB 5v D-RGB would put them under MB RGB software control.  Not particularly satisfying, but possible better than $80 to turn them on.   
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, c-attack said:

So you don't have the strip kit with the Lighting Node Pro?  It's just the extensions?  That thing is from another point in time and they are moving away from that system

uhm, you can still buy extensions package with only the strips in, multiply stores here are selling it. unless I misunderstand your statement? :)

Yeah you got it.  I just need to hook up my RGB psu and LED strips. 

Looks like its the commander pro then.  As you said this will give me more flexibility in the future.

Thanks for all your help,  I've got a lot to learn but always grateful when someone takes the time to help someone out..👍

Always here to help my friend :)

- if you need more help, you are free to PM me aswell

• Like 1

Understand you will need the Commander Core + Lighting Node Core + Commander Pro all installed for that arrangement.  If you purchase a Commander Core XT instead of the Pro, you will get your RGB channel for the strips and also be able to eliminate the Lighting Node Core.  The two Commanders typically sell for the same price.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

Understand you will need the Commander Core + Lighting Node Core + Commander Pro all installed for that arrangement.  If you purchase a Commander Core XT instead of the Pro, you will get your RGB channel for the strips and also be able to eliminate the Lighting Node Core.  The two Commanders typically sell for the same price.  

Could i also plug my RGB psu into the commandr core XT ????

I think you will want the 8 LED PSU fan on the Commander Core with the AIO fans. There should be a cable to allow the PSU to connect to the Com Core like a RGB fan. What the Commander Core “XT” will do is provide the RGB channel port you need for the strips and it will replace the Lighting Node Core as the RGB controller for the QL fans. It also provides two temp probes and 6 more PWM ports, but you don’t need the speed control. 

The Commander Pro will work for the strips, but in order to replace the LNCore (for the QL), you also need a RGB Lighting hub. That is the 5v power for the fan lighting. On Core controllers this is baked into the main body of the controller so it’s one piece. The RGB hub is only supposed to be $10 but there was a run on them and finding one is going to be hard. Best case would be $20 on top of the Commander Pro purchase price. That’s hard to justify unless you were going to add another RGB channel device (3rd party strimmer, gpu, etc) where you need two RGB channels (strips + other device). However, if that’s the case then you should be looking for a Lighting Node Pro again that would be half the cost, even when purchased at full retail value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidvermin said:

So the commander core XT seems to be the solution for me then.    

Thanks

Just remember, it's not future proof :) Like c-attack so nicely are saying, that you dont need this and this. I don't agree with this, I rather spent a little bit more to have more options later on, because we all know that we are going to change something is our build or add..

So think ahead :) If you are sure you ain't going to add or rework some things, sure go with core XT, but if you do think you'll redone something, then I would go for the commander pro. Because yeah, you can save a few bucks by buying the core XT, but you'll spent even more if you then later need to rework something, because then you would have spent on the core XT and would need to spent even more if you need another core XT or commander pro.

So, both options are good, mine or his, doesn't really matter, he has good points, same do I. Not that it's a war, what I'm trying to say is, think ahead before you decide :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Conver said:

Just remember, it's not future proof 🙂 Like c-attack so nicely are saying, that you dont need this and this. I don't agree with this, I rather spent a little bit more to have more options later on, because we all know that we are going to change something is our build or add..

So think ahead 🙂 If you are sure you ain't going to add or rework some things, sure go with core XT, but if you do think you'll redone something, then I would go for the commander pro. Because yeah, you can save a few bucks by buying the core XT, but you'll spent even more if you then later need to rework something, because then you would have spent on the core XT and would need to spent even more if you need another core XT or commander pro.

So, both options are good, mine or his, doesn't really matter, he has good points, same do I. Not that it's a war, what I'm trying to say is, think ahead before you decide 🙂

Good point.  I just checked on Amazon here in the UK and they are exactly the same price, see link below.  So the commander pro looks like a better option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Commander-Digital-Lighting-Controller/dp/B0725HP1J2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=16GXUEU9W1L9Z&keywords=corsair+commander+pro&qid=1640991603&sprefix=corsair+commander+pro%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3

• Haha 1