Corsair Community

Idle/Dark Mode RGB Trick

Linition

Now I am not a programmer so I don't have a solution for a true "dark on idle" mode, but I have come across some tricks.

Here is what you need and what you can do with it:
No profile switch: Make a copy of your main or power saving profile, disable/blacken all RGBs in it, select profile from the iCUE tray icon.
Profile switch on your mouse or keyboard: Make a copy of your main or power saving profile, disable/blacken all RGBs in it, select profile from KB/M.

1. No profile switch: Make a copy of your main or power saving profile, disable/blacken all RGBs in it, select profile from the iCUE tray icon.
  2. Profile switch on your mouse or keyboard: Make a copy of your main or power saving profile, disable/blacken all RGBs in it, select profile from KB/M.
  3. Profile switch AND iCUE NEXUS: Make a copy of your main or power saving profile, disable/blacken all RGBs in it, save it in a separate profile folder, set up a NEXUS button to switch between that profile and another profile, press NEXUS button to activate.

I personally use the NEXUS on a K100 so I really like how I can switch to profiles within certain folders with it and then cycle through the profiles within that folder with the dedicated profile button on the keyboard.

It might sound gimmicky at the start but once you got it set up for your personal needs it is definitely convenient and intuitive.

I use an Elgato Stream Deck and have a "Lighting Link" toggle between Black and the current profile.

It’s also easy to create a “blackout” scene in the left margin of the main page with any static color turned down to 0,0,0. This is a lighting layer only and will cover any existing profile when active. All programmed macros, actions, etc for the current profile remain in place. This can be a good option but it must be manually activated/deactivated with a click in the open CUE window. 

On 12/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, c-attack said:

It’s also easy to create a “blackout” scene in the left margin of the main page with any static color turned down to 0,0,0. This is a lighting layer only and will cover any existing profile when active. All programmed macros, actions, etc for the current profile remain in place. This can be a good option but it must be manually activated/deactivated with a click in the open CUE window. 

I feel that's the problem though. Who wants to click around in software just to shut the lights?
And scenes can't even be activated directly/cycled through outside of iCUE.

• Corsair Employees
On 1/1/2022 at 6:40 AM, Linition said:

I feel that's the problem though. Who wants to click around in software just to shut the lights?
And scenes can't even be activated directly/cycled through outside of iCUE.

It's dependent on the devices you have, and if they support hardware playback.  You can technically save an all black profile to any hardware device, and when you lock your windows, it should have no LED's illuminated for those devices.

A lot of our keyboards and mice have dedicated profile buttons that can be pressed to cycle through your profile list, or you can program a key/button to perform this function.  You can also set the key to a specific profile as well, see the image below as an example:

image.thumb.png.0447a21ff286ffccf355dfe443555f4c.png

On 1/4/2022 at 3:36 AM, Corsair Nick said:

It's dependent on the devices you have, and if they support hardware playback.  You can technically save an all black profile to any hardware device, and when you lock your windows, it should have no LED's illuminated for those devices.

A lot of our keyboards and mice have dedicated profile buttons that can be pressed to cycle through your profile list, or you can program a key/button to perform this function.  You can also set the key to a specific profile as well, see the image below as an example:

image.thumb.png.0447a21ff286ffccf355dfe443555f4c.png

Yes that's the solution I proposed with varying methods.

The problem is, what we really want is all the iCUE-controlled RGB lights to turn off after x amount of idle time, because people walk away from their computers for so many different reasons, sometimes even going to bed, and not everyone wants the lights to keep shining during that time.

Pressing a single button is manageable, pressing several ones is a hassle.
The simple reason is that with how integrated computers have become into daily life, you never know in advance when and for how long you are going to walk away.

• Corsair Employees
19 minutes ago, Linition said:

Yes that's the solution I proposed with varying methods.

The problem is, what we really want is all the iCUE-controlled RGB lights to turn off after x amount of idle time, because people walk away from their computers for so many different reasons, sometimes even going to bed, and not everyone wants the lights to keep shining during that time.

Pressing a single button is manageable, pressing several ones is a hassle.
The simple reason is that with how integrated computers have become into daily life, you never know in advance when and for how long you are going to walk away.

The timer is a good suggestion, and can pass it to our development team, but there are some implications with this method.

iCUE can only communicate with devices when the software is running, and the PC is not in a locked state.  This is a limitation of Windows itself.  If you were to enable an idle timer for 30mins, and you have your PC set to auto-lock in 15mins (Windows Default I believe), iCUE won't be able to trigger a blackout lighting effect as there is no communication between iCUE and the devices.  In the end, all your devices will resort to their saved Hardware Lighting profiles, which leads to the same solution we all provided.

In the end setting Hardware Lighting is a more reliable solution in accomplishing the same goal.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:35 AM, Corsair Nick said:

The timer is a good suggestion, and can pass it to our development team, but there are some implications with this method.

iCUE can only communicate with devices when the software is running, and the PC is not in a locked state.  This is a limitation of Windows itself.  If you were to enable an idle timer for 30mins, and you have your PC set to auto-lock in 15mins (Windows Default I believe), iCUE won't be able to trigger a blackout lighting effect as there is no communication between iCUE and the devices.  In the end, all your devices will resort to their saved Hardware Lighting profiles, which leads to the same solution we all provided.

In the end setting Hardware Lighting is a more reliable solution in accomplishing the same goal.

Well in this case I disagree.

But what is the purpose of letting your Windows auto-lock on idle if it's a home computer?
For traveling, professional and internet cafe machines it probably makes sense, but home machines?

I don't use it and I have not heard of other people using it, so is this decision based on statistical research data?

I mean, I don't even let my computer go to sleep. Maybe an unnecessary remnant of the times when writing to SSDs was seen as way more of a hazard than what it turned out to be, but from my experience some software/hardware likes to glitch out after waking up, so I only set my monitor to turn off on idle and my speakers do it anyway.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:35 PM, Corsair Nick said:

The limitation to being able to only control devices while unlocked is really holding iCue back. I've largely stopped using Corsair devices like the ST100 Headphone Stand because it just pukes rainbows when I lock my PC. For devices that have no onboard memory, there should at least be optional dark mode firmware to make this the default setting for when plugged into devices where iCue is not running or the user wants a device without hardware profiles to just be lights-off/no-puke.

Adding into this a bit: Having an iCue/Fan Controller that could have it's own onboard memory and profiles which was loaded through the internal USB header but powered from the PSU directly would get us away from having to mess around with all these settings in different places within iCue. I just want to be able to set scenes, automate it, and forget about it. You can only partially get to this today but you can't have hardware lighting synced between devices and that's a real bummer. This isn't a limitation with motherboard ARGB, and is a reason to have an ARGB input to allow for optional external control of the corsair lighting.

Additionally, having an ARGB input on the controller with a setting to allow for external control of the addressable devices would bring so many more people over who avoid iCue for the perceived vendor-lock it holds at the moment.

iCue could be so much more with just a few extra considerations.