Corsair Community

MSI K8T Neo FIS2R & XMS C2 Memory

biohazard2k

Hi,

As you can tell I have the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard by looking at my specs. I'm having an issue where Half-Life 2 is crashing due to a memory problem. How do I know this? Well it crashes with an error message stating something of the sort that memory blah blah blah at reference 0x00000 could not be read. So I took out my Corsair memory and threw in some old cheap PC-2100 ddr member (1-512 stick and 1-256 stick), and the errors went away.

Next I took that cheap memory out and just put in 1 of the Corsair 512's (the newer one).

Still no errors. Next I put it in exactly the same way when I got the errors, and sure enough it started crashing again.

So then I thought I should just flip flop the slots the memory is in, I did.

Guess what? It didn't crash.

So my question to you is...

Why would the memory not work one way, and when I just flip flop the memory it works?

Note: I had to RMA one of the two sticks of memory a year ago due to memory errors. Do you think that this other stick is going bad, too?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me,

Tylor

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system. If they both pass then please try these settings.

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 7

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

I have the latest BIOS.

Everything is BIOS Default (NO OC'ing), other then the boot order and the disabing of the onboard sound.

Usually I'd rather have a stable system than a fast one.

Where is Dim Voltage usually located in the BIOS?

Can there be other names for it?

How long do you suggest I run memtest for? 8 hours, more?

I was on the Half-Life forum and they said that this error can occur even if memtest says it's fine. :confused:

BioHaz

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you find one is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would try testing them in another MB and or system. If they both pass then please try these settings.

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 7

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

• Corsair Employees
Please check the user manual for help with your bios, but normally the Dim or DDr Voltage will be under frequency and Voltage Control or were you set the CPU frequency. And usually 2-3 passes would be enough to show a failing module, but letting the system run with http://www.memtest.org like over night is a good stress test.

Ok, we'll do.

I'll report back with the results tomorrow or the next day after testing.

BioHaz

Please check the user manual for help with your bios, but normally the Dim or DDr Voltage will be under frequency and Voltage Control or were you set the CPU frequency. And usually 2-3 passes would be enough to show a failing module, but letting the system run with http://www.memtest.org like over night is a good stress test.

Hi,

I just ran memtest for 15 passes with both sticks in there yesterday afternoon without any errors. Bear in mind the way both sticks were inserted was the way when HL2 didn't crash. So it's a good sign that there were no errors.

Last night I tested my older stick of Corsair memory (33 passes) without any errors. I quickly swapped the old stick with new stick this morning and it made one pass without any errors. I'll report back if it had any by the time I get home later today.

But assuming that there are no errors with either of the sticks why would HL2 crash when the new stick is in slot 1 and old stick is in slot 3, but not when reversed (new=slot3,old=slot1)? Do you think it's a software issue, or still a hardware one? It's interesting to say that lots and lots of people are having this issue on the HL2 forum. The makers of HL2 say that you should remove 1 stick if memory if you have 2 and that should cure the issue. Sure enough, when I removed 1 of them it worked flawlessly. Someone stated on the forum that HL2 is more likely to find memory problems by crashing then memtest is.

What do you think of that?

I looked over all motherboard settings and they are set to "AUTO", even the DDR/DIM voltage.

I noticed in Memtest that the timings are 2.5-3-3-8 (while only 1 stick is inserted). Is that a problem? Is my motherboard putting in the wrong timings?

Thx,

BioHaz

No problem, please do let me know!

Hi RamGuy,

I found the following on HL2's web site.

It explains my problem in detail. According to this troubleshooting document the problem I'm having is a timing issue with my motherboard.

Ultimately I'm assuming the real problem here is game related, because all other games I own never crashed with memory errors. Such as Unreal Tournament 2k4, FarCry, World of Warcraft.

What do you think about this?

Here is the help doc...

15. If you are using two memory or more memory modules, try running with only one module and see if you still have this problem. Reducing the number of modules will effectively speed up your memory timing. If the game runs ok with one module but not two, then you have a motherboard timing problem and you will need to make some changes, READ YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL.

a. Relax the memory timing some motherboards have "conservative" timing or you can manually increase CAS and increase prefetch. If CAS is set to 2.0 increase it to 2.5. If Prefetch is set to 6, increase it to 7 or higher (up to 11).

b. Slightly increase the memory core voltage if your motherboard supports this option, consult your motherboard manual. Raising the voltage will effectively speed up the memory, but will also increase the heat.

From: "http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=278"

Thanks in advance,

BioHaz

• Corsair Employees
Did you try setting the Voltage and timings I gave previously? And did that make a difference? Also as they suggested I would try the modules in the game one at a time and see if you can identify one of the modules causing this error. If not then there is likely some other problem. Can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have and do you have the latest bios version installed?

No, I've kept all the timings the set to auto becuase that was the setup when HL2 was crashing. So I wanted to see if memtest would find anything. So far it hasn't detected any errors. I will change the timing settings later on in this process, it's just that I didn't get that far yet in the test.

The game works flawlessly with one module, it's just when I use the two in that order it crashes.

My Bios is the latest at 2.20.

My current PSU is: ENERMAX EG465P-VE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103488)

It will be soon upgraded to: ENERMAX Noisetaker AX Series EG495AX-VE

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103458)

Thx in advance,

BioHaz

Did you try setting the Voltage and timings I gave previously? And did that make a difference? Also as they suggested I would try the modules in the game one at a time and see if you can identify one of the modules causing this error. If not then therte is likely some other problem. Can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have and do you have the latest bios version installed?

Really... this situation isn't a real big problem. I'd just like to know why when the newer Corsair 512 stick is in slot 1 and the older Corsair stick is in slot 3 Half Life 2 crashes, but when it's in the opposite way it runs perfectly.

Since it's set to auto in the bios, do you think its possible the Motherboard is setting the timing an voltage differently for each way the sticks are set in there? Or am I just reading into things?

What do you suggest I do?

1. Keep it in the way it works and forget about it.

2. Put the sticks in the order when they didn't work and set your timings/voltage and see what happens?

3. Buy new memory?

4. Get a new motherboard?

5. Throw the whole thing in the dump and start over?

Hehe,

BioHaz

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts with the timings I gave you and see if that makes a difference.

Ramguy,

I don't think that's necessary. I was just on the HL2 forum and they said it was more so a game problem. Besides I'd hate to replace perfectly good set of memory.

I'm just going to wait this one out and see if anything else crashes.

Afterall, I did do 30+ passes on each stick without any errors.

If anything else goes wrong I'll take you up on your offer.

Thanks,

BioHaz

Archived