Corsair Community

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / TWINX1024-3200C2 - WONT BOOT

evanssd1

MOBO: DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D

Memory: CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2

CPU: AMD 3500 / 939

System fails POST w/ memory errors. Oddly, if ONE memory module is in slot #1 (the first orange one) the system boots. This is NOT true for the other memory module. Before purchasing this RAM I checked the Corsair site to ensure compatability. What is going on here! I was able to flash the BIOS up2date using the ONE memory module that actually worked in slot #1.

PLEASE HELP!

Sean

I have completed the form and will be sending the memory in.

What are the chances that I have two bad memory modules? Granted they are from the same lot# but still, this would be odd. I have worked in IT for 9+ years and in my experience bad memory has been rare. I have seen many postings indicating issues w/ Corsair memory and DFI motherboards. Is this more likely a compatability issue? Maybe because of the DFI board?

Just curious....

• Corsair Employees
The odds both modules are bad would be slim to none. All of our XMS modules are tested in a MB at their rated speed before they leave our factory. So it would be rare to find one failing and next to impossible you got a totally dead module. Can you test them in another system?

I got a friend to test out the memory for me in another system. Both memory modules work as expected. Now I get to try and figure out if its the CPU or Mobo. I don't trust DFI as much as AMD so my guess is the motherboard. I have noticed TONS of people having memory issues w/ the DFI NF4 boards. The RMA won't be necessary at this point.

Thanks,

Sean

Hi evanssd1,

just to let you know that there some major issues between, RAM and DFI. I can tell you that I had a DFI UT Ultra D with 2X512 PC3200 value select corsair and the only think that I've got was BOSD, Freeze or crash and even when everything was goind as it should be, next morning, next star up the sytem crash. I am almost sure know that all this stuff are comming from the DFI bios or as I am using ATI video card it could be an issue between ATI and NF4 drivers but so far all DFI forums shows people with cold boot problem, crash....

For me know I am looking to replace my board with another brand with NF4 Ultra.

Cya

Hi evanssd1,

just to let you know that there some major issues between, RAM and DFI. I can tell you that I had a DFI UT Ultra D with 2X512 PC3200 value select corsair and the only think that I've got was BOSD, Freeze or crash and even when everything was goind as it should be, next morning, next star up the sytem crash. I am almost sure know that all this stuff are comming from the DFI bios or as I am using ATI video card it could be an issue between ATI and NF4 drivers but so far all DFI forums shows people with cold boot problem, crash....

For me know I am looking to replace my board with another brand with NF4 Ultra.

Cya

Praetorian

As far as I know, DFI nF4 is best oc mb right now, but it's little difficult to common user to tune the memory settings. Try to setting the nForce 6.53 by selecting the sm bus drives 1st, and then the others. So you'll know which part that cause the crash.

Thanks for the updates, I just got this from the tech guys at DFI - and I quote

"If Corsair says the memory is compatible then they must effectually know something that the first 2 months of users in the 64 bit forums at http://www.dfi-street.com were totally unaware of. The Corsair and many Value rams created more headaches for DFI NF4 users than should be experienced by anyone. Most users saw a user with a problem come into the forums and they almost without fail pointed the newer user to other than corsair memory. Now that was a truth. "

I feel cheated because I used the Corsair RAM guy to recommend my $160 memory modules before buying. Now DFI is basically telling me NOT to use this type of Corsair memory with the motherboard.

They recommended that I buy mushkin XP3200 for $200. Honestly, it would be cheaper to buy another motherboard. What a pain!

Trying to figure out what to do.....

Sean

For practical users that don't care about oc, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe will be a good choice, I'm using it and it really compatible with several brand of memory. DFI is more painful, you have to set eg tRC value = tRAS + tRP, etc. I never succeded set vDIMM: 2.8 volts using my TwinX1024-3200XLP v1.2 @400 mhz 2225-1T in DFI nF4 SLI-DR cause it will cause blue screen, but the modules itself is OK with 2.8v in Asus A8N SLI Deluxe. I'm really confused.

DFI support has been terrible. They are saying that they can't provide a list of "Qualified" memory because the memory module manufacturing process changes so fast. They recommend buy and try. Okay.

They also cut me down saying that this board is for high end users (tweakers and overclockers) not for plug and play. Well DFI, I have been overclocking and tweaking for almost 10 years now and maybe in the beginning when this was all done by moving jumpers around you could tweak a system that would not POST but now days its IMPOSSIBLE since everything is controlled by the BIOS.

I have NEVER had a tweaked system that wouldn't POST using good high end hardware and the default fail safe settings. Then again, I have NEVER had a DFI part either. I just spent another $200 on the memory that they recommended. I will know in a few days if it works or not.

I could never recommend a DFI product because of the complete lack of customer support!

Sean

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200C2

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I have tested the memory modules at the requested settings with the following results:

1st memory module works ONLY in slot #2 (first orange one) without any issues reported by memtest.

2nd memory module won't work in any slot (this really bothers me).

The memory modules obviously don't work when used together. BOTH modules tested okay in a friends older AMD rig for 24 hours.

I also tested using super safe settings like 3-3-8-3-2T (TCL-TRCD-TRAS-TRP-CL) with the same results.

I suppose I can go forward with the RMA. I went ahead and ordered the memory that the DFI tech recommended, it should be here in a few days.

Thanks for the help,

Sean

• Corsair Employees
If that is the case, can you test the good module on all 4 memory slots; if the good module will not post on a certain memory slot or either one of the memory slot, the problem of your system maybe lying to the memory controller that is built in to the CPU. If it can work without any problem, then please go ahead and go for the RMA procedure.

Well, the "good" memory module won't work in any other slot on the motherboard except slot#2 (first orange one).

I am going to wait for the memory that DFI technical support recommended. If that fails I guess I can start bugging AMD to try and RMA the CPU :( Sheesh!

Sean

XXXXXXX XP3200 Dual Pack 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Thanks! (hope you can read it even though it gets XXXXX out)

here is the link they sent me: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146355

And here is the original email they sent me:

"Dear Sir:

If Corsair says the memory is compatible then they must effectually know something that the first 2 months of users in the 64 bit forums at http://www.dfi-street.com were totally unaware of. The Corsair and many Value rams created more headaches for DFI NF4 users than should be experienced by anyone. Most users saw a user with a problem come into the forums and they almost without fail pointed the newer user to other than corsair memory. Now that was a truth.

I did understand that the corsair memory forums and their 'ramguy' may have had users input timings and voltages that 'fit' the corsair more closely and some did find some relief. I suggest you see the corsair front page and down mid-way the page is a link to their forums where they speak to setting of their memory on the boards. At least some users report such.

Here are a couple of insightful links that has helped many users in their intitial setups.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55275&postcount=13 Official statement on 24 pin...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854 Later P/s thread with real recommends. Davidhammock200.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65304&postcount=49 Mini How to Setup...

"

Sean

• Corsair Employees

Sean,

First thing, if this is a Tech from DFI telling you this he has not taken a professional approach. In addition, if these modules run with out problems then you likley just have a failing module as these modules are more aggressive and would be more loading on your system. In other words telling you to use another makers memory is saying that he does not know how to support them. And In my opinion should not be providing tech support. But if it works for you then that's great. And I wish you good luck.

True, I don't have very much respect for the way that DFI handles technical support issues - I have explicitly stated that higher up in this email thread.

However, this doesn’t change the fact that I bought $188 worth of Corsair XMS memory based on the RAM Guy recommendations that isn’t working in my motherboard.

What bothers me more is the fact that the supposedly matched and tested twinx modules don’t even display the same characteristics when in the same slot – 1 works @ post the other doesn’t.

(and honestly the particular corsair memory we are working with here has a slower rated speed than does the “other” memory that DFI recommended)

I would appreciate it if I can continue the RMA process.

I am also going to ask for a second recommendation on an Nvidia chipset / AGP motherboard that these chips should work in because I am stuck owning them now. For example I am interested in trying out a “K8N NEO2 PLATINUM”

Thanks for your help,

Sean

• Corsair Employees

I think you missing my point. If you just have a failing module then it’s a Mute point, no offence, and I have no problem at all replacing your modules. No matter what you do. I am on your side here please don’t take that I do not understand your frustration and or anxiety, because I do and will do what ever I can too help. But for the record we have this MB and have had it in our Lab since before it was released. And I know of no issues with this MB other than it is a bit tricky to configure the bios because of all of its options. We do see a larger volume of traffic with this MB than previous MB’s from them, but they have had some great reviews and have grown in volume of sales. It's nothing more than shear #'s as to the amount of complaints you might see. All I can tell you would be our return rate is still less that .015% on average for our XMS modules so I think its best not to dwell on any one problem, but rather take a look at them all for their own merits and try to help the user solve the issue he se's. Of course I track potential issues and am personally very quick to try and isolate any compatibility issues that may crop up, but in this case I do not think that’s the case just a failing module and we will be happy to replace them. I am sorry that you seem to have got some advice from another manufacturer that is either another makers lackey or just incompetent. But there is not too much I can do about that. Except try and help you with our product and find a solution ASAP.

I would appreciate it if I can continue the RMA process.

A: Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I am also going to ask for a second recommendation on an Nvidia chipset / AGP motherboard that these chips should work in because I am stuck owning them now. For example I am interested in trying out a “K8N NEO2 PLATINUM”

A: XMS3200C2 should run with out problems and either of these MB's again I think you just have a failing module and once its replaced it should run great in about any system you use them in. But the fastest module we make for this speed grade is Twinx1024-3200XL and would be my suggestion for best performance. The Memory Configurator just give's the most popular suggestion not always the fastest will be listed as the best choice, but XMS3200XL is listed if you scroll down. And most choose XMS3200C2 because of less cost.

Archived