Corsair Community

commander xt not controlling fan speed

the SP120 pro are not PWM fans. they are 3 pin (controlled by varying voltage).

You can't control them from a PWM controller unfortunately. They will feed constant 12V to the fans so they will run all the time at full speed in your case.

You could either replace the core XT with a commander pro that can control old non PWM fans, or replace all 6 fans with PWM ones.

11 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the SP120 pro are not PWM fans. they are 3 pin (controlled by varying voltage).

You can't control them from a PWM controller unfortunately. They will feed constant 12V to the fans so they will run all the time at full speed in your case.

You could either replace the core XT with a commander pro that can control old non PWM fans, or replace all 6 fans with PWM ones.

so if i were to buy the commander pro i would be able to change fan speed but i would have to have a separate controller for the rgb

Correct. In order to keep it on one device you would need a RGB lighting hub (effectively a mini lighting mode core) to supply the 5v for the fan lighting. They should be about $10 USD but are very hard to find at the moment. 

The other option is as you stated, Commander Pro for speed, lighting mode core for RGB. 

Edited by c-attack

• 1 year later...
my commander core xt doesn't show me speed control options on my SP120-RGB ELITE (2x) and also on the SP140-RGB ELITE (3x).
I've tried all the ways and nothing, it just enables the control of the RGB's and shows me the temperatures in the sensors.
In the previous version of iCUE it doesn't even find commander core XT. Any suggestion?