Corsair Community

memory help

Zul

I have the same problem now, I created a new system in jan. The first time I booted up the system, it wouldn't even post. Finally I narrowed it down to the ram and found out one of the sticks was bad, at least that is what the mb was telling me, It would work fine with one stick and not the other. So I went back to the store and returned that pair and got another pair of twinx memory. So it worked fine for about a month and then I started having random crashes, I bought a new sound card and video card because they were old and I thought they might have died. After those changes didn't work, I ran memtest and realized it was my memory. Finally I found these forums and adjusted my memory +.2volts and it worked fine. Now its 4 mos later, and I am getting random crashes again, and NOw my mb started giving me the beep code for bad ram. I have to reset and it will boot about 25% and then if I even dare to run a 3d app it dies within a few minutes and ocassionally just dies if I do any minor thing. The Ironic things is that I chose this memory because I thought it was the best and I didn't want any problems down the road. If it turns out to be an Incompatibility with My MB will I still get a refund on the lifetime guarentee?

CMX512- 3200 PRO XMS3200

XMs3208

ive tried it with my main AMD machine.. 3400+ 64 bit..Gygabite K8ns series and a 2.4 gig intel system .. ABIT mobo

i used this ram for about 6 months when my computer started to randomly crash to desktop, i originally thought it was a heat problem but it turned out not to be, i switched out all my hard drive and figured out it was my ram.

Corsair can't give you a refund because they didn't sell you the memory.

What CPU / FSB / Motherboard do you have?

What is the exact part # and revision # of each stick? Is it a TwinX pack?

How To Read the Memory Label

If you have more than one stick:

Is it a TwinX pack? If not, what is the revision # of each stick?

Did you test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+?

• Corsair Employees
Please help us with the information Wired has asked you for and I am sorry that you are having trouble, but what you have posted would suggest a MB and or power problem. Memory will either work or it will not, intermitant problems like this would normally be a power issue.

Ok, I'm at work right now, but when I get home I will give you the exact numbers for the memory

The processor is an AMD 3000+ 64bit socket 754

The MB is a gigabyte K8NS

The Memory is total 1 gig TWINX3200c2 I believe, I'll get the exact part number when I get home tonight.

I did get a chance to mess with it last night and when I do take out one stick of memory it boots up fine and actually runs at the rated 400mhz speed, which it doesn't when you use 2 sticks but I already had read about that problem/feature of the 754 chipset. Really wish that was common knowledge, I would have just bought a single stick of 1gig if I had known that. Either way, so no I didn't do the memtest but both sticks seemed to run fine and booted right away with no problems if you only used one by itself. I will do the memtest tonight, how long do you recommend running it? I know it loops after a while?

Of course not being satisfied with 512megs of ram I tried several different configurations, swaped the memory around in the dim slots. Eventually I found that if I lowered the MAX memory mhz speed from 166mhz(which it defaults to if you stick both sticks of ram in it) down to 133mhz and it booted up several times without a problem, I even had the voltage at 2.5v and it worked fine.

You mentioned it could be a power issue, I did notice on easy tune it said the my 3.3v rail was running a little over 3.1v, would that make a difference? Can replacing a power supply really make a difference? The power supply that I have now is just a generic 400w that came with the case that the mb is in. What type of power supply would you recommend?

One last question, performance wise, is it better to run 1 gig of ram at 133mhz(266mhzDDR) or 512megs at 200mhz(400mhz ddr)? I ask because right now I am saving up for a wedding so it will be some time before I have "free" cash laying around to spend on my gaming pc. Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
The first thing to do would be make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults one module at a time and set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lest make sure one is not failing. If both pass then install them in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and do the same again with the bios and see if it will run at DDR400.

The first thing to do would be make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults one module at a time and set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lest make sure one is not failing. If both pass then install them in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and do the same again with the bios and see if it will run at DDR400.

OK, I tested each one by itself and they worked fine at DDR400. I tested both on 2-3 and they booted up fine rebooted a few times seemed to boot up. I then ran memtest and it ran to about 6% and then choked with 8 errors and 48 ecc errors. I then reboot and it gave me the bad memory beep code, I reset and it booted up, I reset and it gave me the bad beep code, messed with some of the settings in bios and couldn't get it to boot up again without the beep codes. I put them in 1-2 and it would boot only if I forced it to 133mhz, oh btw when both sticks ran it was set to auto and it defaulted to 166mhz when I looked in bios. I ran 1 1/2 passes with memtest at 133mhz and it didn't give any errors.

Do you think If I manually set the memory settings to the settings that I get with one stick at 200mhz(cas 3, etc.) it would work? Do you have any suggestions for alternate memory settings? Also there are like 8 or so memory settings so if you say like 3-4-3-8 is it enough to only set those 4 to something different?

p.s. I did try all combos with the 2 memory sticks. (1-2,2-3,1-3). I also tried all voltages Normal, .1, .2(max for bios)

• Corsair Employees
If both modules run and pass http://www.memtest.org one up but fail like this when installed in a pair. That would suggest another problem. I would first check with the MB maker and make sure that the bios version you have supports the CPU you are using as that could cause this. And as long as you have an approved PSU based on what you have posted I would try and RMA the CPU if the MB and PSU are O.K.

Ok looking on the nvidia chipset forum i found that some people had success running the k8ns board with an older bios namely F7. I loaded this older bios and got the memory to run in "manual" mode at 2.5-3-3-8 at ddr333. I tried different settings at ddr400 but it would never boot up. It still has a wierd problem where sometimes when I boot it hangs at the "testing memory" part of the boot, but the odd thing is that when it does go through a full boot it runs memtest without errors.

Just to test I reloaded the Latest bios (F12) and it wouldn't boot and give me the beep code for bad memory. So I reloaded F7 and it seems to be working fine so far, haven't had it crash and i have played intense 3d apps on it.

I figure since the memory does run 1 stick at a time at ddr400 it must be a board limitation of some kind or the board is flawed. What MB would you recommend that will run twinx3200c2 at ddr400 with Cas Level at 2 for AMD socket 754?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry; I cannot suggest one Make of MB over another as it causes a conflict of interest for me. Please contact the MB maker and see what they have to say, they may have a solution. If not then I would look for another maker, but I give them the opportunity to solve the problem.

Archived