Corsair Community

Can't get H150i working with Asus MB

I have built a system that has the following:

Asus Prime Z690-A
Intel i9-12900K
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix (with Commander Core)
Corsair Kit to make the cooler work with LGA 1700
Corsair 5000D case

On initial startup (Windows isn't even installed yet) I get an error that the processor is at 89 degrees. The cooler pump does not appear to be working.

I've been working with the Geek Squad, and we have swapped out the motherboard and the cooler and nothing has changed. They were going to test whether the Commander Core might be responsible, but I don't know the result.

Is there anything we should try or be looking for?

Edited by Sparticus1701
Title change

Power for the H150i Elite comes from the wide SATA connector back to the PSU cable, likely with some other HDDs or SSDs on it.  There is no requirement for the software to be active.  The MB does not supply power in any way and is not required, nor is the tachometer cable that connects back to CPU fan.  If you jack in the SATA cable and the PSU provides power, it should run right there on the table with nothing else connected.  Specifically on the Commander Core Elite units, you must have SATA to the Commander Core AND make sure that mini 24 pin wide cable from Com Core to pump is connected, white stripe on the correct side.  That is how power is passed to the pump.  

It is most likely the pump is DOA.  If you have a 24 pin PSU jumped in your PSU kit, you can connect that to the main 24 pin ATX cable and power on the PSU secondary systems while bypassing the MB and GPU.  That should make the AIO run and with nothing else going on it should be very obvious if it is running or not.  Even if it is vibrating, a rapid rise in CPU temp that then won't come down on subsequent restarts signifies a flow problem.  It could be a broken impeller that makes a fair bit of noise, but does nothing to move the liquid.  Either way, you don't need to solve it.  If you have power (unit lights up) and the CPU temp does that, it needs to be replaced.

Edited by c-attack

So far, we've swapped out the pump, the motherboard and the commander core and it all ends the same, so I'm not so sure the pump is to blame

Attached is a picture of the pump when the system starts. I get the same color pattern if I start the pump from the PSU disconnected from the motherboard. The fans turn on, but I can't tell whether the pump is working and moving fluid through the radiator.

The motherboard does not seem to recognize the tach wire from the pump, regardless of whether I connect it to the AIO_PUMP or W_PUMP+ port. In either case the bios reports nothing on the connected port.

20211222_191535 (Medium).jpg

Do your commander core connections look like this ?677041852_CORSAIRFANCONNECTIONS.jpg.c116

11 hours ago, Sparticus1701 said:

The motherboard does not seem to recognize the tach wire from the pump, regardless of whether I connect it to the AIO_PUMP or W_PUMP+ port. In either case the bios reports nothing on the connected port.

That is normally the sign of a dead pump, but if you have already swapped in another unit it more likely you are looking for a break in the power delivery.  PSU -> SATA cable -> Commander Core -> 24 pin mini to pump (white stripe).  The problem with this is if you are getting color from the pump, it has power.  The AIO or W_Pump connection has no bearing on the cooler's functionality, but concerning it does not report back a speed.  I normally would say it is improbable to get two dead pumps in a row, but it is starting to look like it.  Check the white stripe on the Commander Core to make sure it is in the correct position relative to the marking.  

Unrelated to this issue, be careful using any AIO with the tubes below the CPU block like in the picture above.  It creates a place for trapped air to settle.  If there is enough, it will displace the water that should be covering the CPU cooling fins.  It's possible you have a RAM collision issue with the tubes, but any other position aside from bottom is preferential.  The 'Corsair Logo" plate is a thin piece and unscrews so it can be repositioned, regardless of your choice.  

• 1 month later...

Did you found the solution for this issue?

I also have same problem with slight different setup

Asus Strix Z690-A
Intel i5-12600K
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix (with Commander Core)

Getting the same error messages and FAN is not getting detected by MB

Not sure what the issue is.