Corsair Community

Apparently defective RAM

My system:

DFI LanParty Ultra B

Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile @ 2.1GHz (200MHz x 10.5 multi)

PNY GeForce 6800GT

WD 74GB Raptor

My RAM:

2x Corsair Platinum Series CMX512-3200C2PT (XMS3202v2.2 0322007)

I've updated my bios to the latest from DFI's website. I've run memtest86 with settings set to 200MHz 2.5-3-3-3-8 Optimal, 2.65 volts. The good module runs through all tests w/o problems. The bad module will fail on test 5 in the last 3% of the test. I've tried the bad module alone in all three slots of the mobo with the exact same results. The good module will run w/o issue at 200MHz 2-2-2-2-7 in any slot.

Is there anything else I can try to get this working? Seems to me I just need an RMA.

And I would try and lower the CPU Multiplier to 9 or 10 and see if the results chnage as well.

Thanks Wired & RAMGuy.

I dropped the multi down to 8x, and ran the RAM at 1.75V with the same problems. Last 3% of test 5 in memtest will throw 30-50 errors every pass.

• Corsair Employees

What happens if you try these settings.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

If you do not get errors at these settings then its likely that the CPU you have will just not over clock that high with these modules. You can also try them in single channel as well.

What happens if you try these settings.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

If you do not get errors at these settings then its likely that the CPU you have will just not over clock that high with these modules. You can also try them in single channel as well.

No problems running 2.5-3-3-6 at 166MHz.

I started at those settings and worked my way up:

All tests were done at 3-3-3-8 timings and CPU multi of 9x with only 1 stick of RAM (the XMS3200C2 in question) in slot 1 (in previous testing, I have tested all three slots).

166MHz to 180MHz: No problems. Ran through memtest86 test 5 w/o errors.

181MHz to 183MHz: Some issues. Some runs would get errors, but after a power down and then power back up after 5-10 minutes, would run okay for a few, then give errors again.

184MHz to 200Mhz: Error every time. Every time I ran the stick at these frequencies I got errors in the last 3% of test 5.

I was also able to run at 175MHz with a 5:6 ratio, with the FSB running at 210MHz and processor running at 2100MHz. This produced no errors.

With my other stick of XM3200C2 (identical make/model to this) I have run my processor at 11x 217MHz FSB and 2.5-3-3-7 timings.

Archived