Corsair Community

What to do with memory

Hi, a couple of days ago I was playing Half-Life 2 and it has crashed 4 or 5 times since then, all saying that it could not read a memory location. A couple of the instances were blue screens of deaths. Also, when playing Warcaft III: Frozen Throne, I have had one reboot where it referenced a particular memory location, another time it just rebooted, and the last time it quit out saying it got the wrong information from the a memory location. I did download and run memtest86 from a cd and it came up with 57 errors on the first pass. I tried accessing the configuration screen but it would not allow me, I wanted to find a way to print the errors out. I think the reason I may not have been able to acces the 'c' for configuration or 'sp' for scroll lock is because but I have wireless keyboard, but either way there were 57 errors on the first pass. The bad memory addressed ranged from 1.3 mb to 1000+mb. I have Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 purchased from Zip Zoom Fly (so it is two sticks of 512). I bought about a year ago, and ZipZoomFly's return/rma is limited to 30 days from being shipped. What do I now? Do I fill out a RMA form, get a rma number? From the results I got from memtest86, it would lead me to believe that both sticks of ram are bad. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem. And I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Ok. I redownloaded memtest from the provided link. I ran it on each memorty stick. Each stick passed. I reran memtest on both sticks on the same time, it was good until the very end (99%-100%) on test 5. As it went to test 6, it came up with 57 errors again. I also checked the voltage, and it was already 2.7v, so that part is/was good. I do not have another system that I can test this ram in. Suggestions? Like I said, this ram is about a year old. When I got Half-Life 2 around Christmas, it ran fine, it even ran fine just a couple weeks ago and I have never had problems with Warcraft III before.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

AMD 64 3000+ 2.2ghz

EPoX EP-8KDA3J Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb

System Performance: Normal

CPU: 220mhz

AGP: 66

CPU Ration Control: Disabled;

CPU Clock Ratio: 10x

CPU voltage: 1.55v

Dimm voltage: 2.7v

Agg Volt: 1.5v

Chipset voltage: 1.6v

HT frequency: 4x

Memory

At post timings are 2.5 - 3- 3 -8

1T/2T: Auto (At post it says 2T)

Cas: Auto

Ras To Cas: Auto

Min Ras: Auto

Row Precharge: Auto

Not sure if you need this, but I'm using onboard sound and a BFG 6800GT graphics card.

Like I said, until the other day I had no problems running anything on this machine. These are the settings that I have been using since I got this machine and I had no problems at all until the other day.

Tried it at 200mhz. No problems. Retried at 220mhz except with 2.8 dimm voltage. Still have problems. I'm testing each on by itself again, except in the second slot. But like I said, I had been runnin at 220mhz and 2.7 dimm voltage for the past and year and not one problem like I have just started to expierence.

Just finished testing each module in the second dimm slot by itself (one module at at time) at 220mhz. No problems. Problmes only occur when both modules are in at the same time. So, I'm at a loss as to what the problem is now and have no idea what to do. It just really bothers that the system went from working to perfectly to crashing like I've described with me making no change to the system at all. :confused: :(:

• Corsair Employees
More than likely the system is just settling and may not O.C. like it did in the past. Bit these modules are not rated at the speed you are running them at so I don’t see a need to replace them since they will run at the tested settings. Not to mention they are not known to be an over clock able module.

Archived