Corsair Community

LS100 - "A request for the USB device descriptor failed"

Spent a good while today physically attaching the LS100 Starter Kit to my monitor only to find that it doesn't work when I switch the PC on! iCUE does not detect the device because - I assume - Windows 10 is stopping the device; when I check in Device Manager, the status is as follows:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Any ideas? I've tried multiple USB 2 and 3 sockets, plugged and unplugged the power cable and micro USB from the controller, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest iCUE software. my K70 RBG and M65 RGB work perfectly with iCUE, so I'm assuming the problem isn't to be found there...

Is it showing up in device manager when you unplug and replug it in? if you can find it in device manager I would right click and uninstall the driver. It might be getting a bad driver. once you uninstall the driver try reinstalling icue again. You can also make sure everything is up to date with you USB driver from the MoBo manufacturer. Also that chipset drivers are installed

Thanks, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the device several times, but the result is always the same once it gets replugged. I've also updated the chipset drivers but its made no difference. I've even reported to a hard power off with the main cable disconnected to see if that clears the USB driver that's loaded, but no dice...

Is it realistic to think that its a fundamental hardware issue?

Even upgraded to Windows 11 in vain... nothing seems to make this thing work. It has to be defective...

• Corsair Employees

Spent a good while today physically attaching the LS100 Starter Kit to my monitor only to find that it doesn't work when I switch the PC on! iCUE does not detect the device because - I assume - Windows 10 is stopping the device; when I check in Device Manager, the status is as follows:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Any ideas? I've tried multiple USB 2 and 3 sockets, plugged and unplugged the power cable and micro USB from the controller, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest iCUE software. my K70 RBG and M65 RGB work perfectly with iCUE, so I'm assuming the problem isn't to be found there...

Hey samhickman, sorry you're experiencing this issue - I've gone ahead and make this comment/thread into a ticket to send to report. Please continue to follow it and let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. 

UPDATE: I received a replacement unit from Amazon yesterday and can confirm that upon swapping the controller only there was no change and the problem persisted. It was only when swapping the braided USB cable that the unit finally functioned correctly! Problem solved, and the replacement bits will be going back to Amazon. 

Hey samhickman, I have the same problem as you.

After unplugging and reconnection a million times it worked until the next reboot now I don't get it to run anymore.

I have a complete new rig (alder lake, z690 chipset, Win11). Maybe its a new problem?

Currently I'm not sure if I should keep it as it looked awesome the one time it worked, or if I have to refund it.