Corsair Community

Confused on what to use regarding iCUE controlled RGB fans (lots of them)

PR3D4TOR

Hi,

Planning on using 6 QL120 PWM RGB in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic as Casefans (bottom, side) and with the 3 pack there comes the lightning node core. It has 6 possibilities to plug in fans. Now i read something about RGB channels, no idea what that is regarding the propieatary Corsair RGB system.

So do i only purchase 

1x 3 pack Ql120 with Lightning Node CORE: iCUE QL120 RGB 120-mm-PWM-Lüfter 3er-Pack mit Lighting Node CORE (corsair.com)

plus 3x single QL120 w/o anything but the fan: iCUE QL120 RGB 120-mm-PWM-Einzellüfter (corsair.com)

The CPU cooler is a liquid freezer II ARGB with 3 ARGB PST fans that do not require a Controller, so that is a non issue.

In addition:

I purchase the above 3-pack, 3 singular fans and connect ALL of them to the Lightning Node Core and then i connect the lightning node core to the Mainboard? 

I want to control fan speed, rgb lightning of 6 QL Fans via iCue. What exactly do i need for that? I do not really get the FAQ, there are so many devices with similar names for different things. 

Whether you buy QL120 singles or the triple pack will depend on price.  It's not often buying singles is a better deal.  You will need a RGB controller either way.  The triple pack comes with a lighting node core that will handle RGB for 6.  However, since you also want fan speed control, there is another option.

Commander Core XT - This is a combination fan speed and RGB controller with ports for 6 on each side.  I prefer the Commander Pro for more complex setups, but since you only need the 6 PWM/RGB ports and its the same price as a Commander Pro, this makes the most sense.  You will not need the RGB controllers from the QL packs, so buy based on unit price.  

Edited by c-attack