Corsair Community

High Liquid temps with new Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX

divad

Hi on about 25 degree day, my idle coolant temps are roughly 33 degrees and that fine because i run them at a low rpm, but when gaming with a 3080 ti and 5800x it can sky rocket into the mid 40s with the fan running about 1800 rpm. with my case i can only top mount it with it exhausting the heat out. My question is the normal behavior because my gpu is dumping over 300-370 watts of heat onto the radiator. 

I upgraded from the h100i plat because i thought it would provide lower noise but it seems it louder now because of the 3 fans but keep the temps of the cpu a little lower not sure it was worth upgrading to it.

50 minutes ago, divad said:

My question is the normal behavior because my gpu is dumping over 300-370 watts of heat onto the radiator.

Most likely.  The minimum possible coolant temperature is equal the environmental temperature it resides in.  Top interior of the case is 45C?  Then that will be the coolant temp as well before factoring in any added CPU heat.  There's not much you can do about the GPU aside from increasing rear exhaust speed to draw more of the waste heat out that way vs the top.  

One thing you will want to do is take manual control over the fan curve for the H150i 3x120 fans.  If the coolant temp is mostly ambient temperature related, then blasting the fans won't lower it.  It's possible it could make it worse by pulling more hot air off the GPU through the radiator vs out the back.  Try experimenting with fixed fan speeds for temperature vs noise value.  Also, don't forget +1 to coolant temp is only +1C to CPU temp.  If you are playing a heavy GPU load game with the usual low to moderate CPU usage, then your CPU temps may not be particularly high.  Trying to reduce coolant temp by 5C is difficult and it may not matter if CPU temps are 55-60C.  Noise is something else so manual or custom curve control is more of a necessity.

ok at 1500 rpm my liquid temps is about 44 degrees when gaming, what is a good fan curve to keep that rpm when gaming or am i leaving the liquid temps to high?

Screenshot 2021-12-19 212227.png

You should adjust the fans to run at an acceptable noise level to you. If 1500 rpm is ok, then either set it as a fixed speed when starting gaming or set the custom curve like you have done with a large steady line in the work zone and a safety spike to maximum at 50-55C, which should be unreachable. 

There is no inherent disadvantage to 43C coolant vs 38C, other than your cpu will be +5C warmer across all load phases. If the cpu temps are acceptable currently, then I would focus on noise alone. You may want to compare the coolant temp to something like your MB ambient temp sensor (typically near pci-e 2/3).  I expect it also will be ~43C and then you know there’s not much you can change. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey my liquid temperature reached 48 degrees will that damage anything as it was quite hot in my room today 32 degrees.  cpu temperature when gaming is about 70 degrees so not to bad just worried that tubes will damage with the heat.

No. Temp max on rubber tubes is well beyond anything you can generate in a PC case. However, most manufacturers list 60C as their product max. Regardless of any material temperature limits, at 60C liquid that gives you a 60C minimum cpu temp at 0 volts. The instant you do anything beyond open a folder you are going to slam into the TJMax limit. That makes somewhere between 50-60C liquid temp an effective max liquid temp depending on your cpu and voltage.