Corsair Community

H100i Elite Capellix Coolant

Draxftw

That would be warmer than I would expect to see. Can you provide some details on a) what you'd been doing when you had this screen cap (e.g. idle for hours or just shut down Red Dead Redemption ...)  and b) a little bit about the rest of your hardware [Case, where the cooler is installed, etc]

5 hours ago, DevBiker said:

That would be warmer than I would expect to see. Can you provide some details on a) what you'd been doing when you had this screen cap (e.g. idle for hours or just shut down Red Dead Redemption ...)  and b) a little bit about the rest of your hardware [Case, where the cooler is installed, etc]

Hardware
• GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Trio 
• CPU: Ryzen 9 | 5900x | CPU Cores 12 | Threads 24
• VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit
• NVMe SSD: NVMSamsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB
• SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
• HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
• Casing: NZXT H710i
• Cooler: Corsair H100i Elite Capellix
• Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 240Hz

Radiator is mounted on the top.

I did a restart and these are the idle temps now. (Google chrome running in the background)
Are these good?

Capture.PNG

Most users who reach the 45-50C mark for coolant temperature do so because of environmental factors, not specific settings.  If stays low at idle, can handle a CPU stress test with minimal fuss (maybe +8-9C for 5900x and H100i), but then you go +20C when gaming you have a lot of GPU waste heat to deal with.  Coolant temp will have a minimum temperature equal to its environment.  Heat the case to 50C and the coolant will be the same, plus any additional CPU heat transferred directly.  

You also have a 5900X on a 240mm radiator.  Those fans will need to work some to keep expelling the heat from the coolant, especially if you play a games at 240 Hz with increased CPU load.  600 rpm is not going to be very helpful when gaming.  Most 120mm fans don't move much air against a radiator below 750 rpm.  

4 hours ago, Draxftw said:

Are these good?

Capture.PNG

It's hard to say if that's good or bad. What's the ambient (room) temperature? How quickly does it go up?

Also, are the radiator fans installed as exhaust or intake?

1 hour ago, Draxftw said:

What's an acceptable coolant temperature? 

You typically want it under 40'ish or so ... but that's variable depending on the ambient temperature. If you have an ambient temperature of 30C, you'll run warmer than if you have an ambient temperature of 22C. Which is why I asked the ambient (room) temperature as it is all relative to that.

The challenge with running the radiator in exhaust up top is well known and discussed frequently on this forum. Top-mounted radiators running in exhaust will draw waste GPU heat into the radiator, which can actually heat up the coolant ... so it works, essentially, as reverse cooling. You have a 3070, which can put out some heat. If that heat is going straight through the radiator and adds to the significant heat generated by that 5900X, you start seeing coolant temps go up.

That case looks like it has another challenge for a top-mounted radiator in exhaust ... it looks like (based in the photos) that it has a solid top. That will work to reduce the amount of heat you can actually expel from the case, creating a "heat column" (for lack of a better term) in the case that prevents any further cooling. In this scenario, you won't see the coolant temperatures really cap out to a steady state - they get into a feedback loop of increasing heat.