Corsair Community

System build question about ML and QL fans

SirOvenMitt

So I am finally trying to build a new system after 12 years. Much has changed since way back when. I am looking at using the Corsair 5000D case. I wanted to run the QL fans in the front, side and one in the rear. Was looking at using the Corsair H150i and do the push pull setup. Wanted to make sure that the Corsair ML 120 Pro 120mm Prem Magnetic Levitation fans match the ones that come with the H150i. And if I can run ML and QL fans together without issues in the Icue system as long as the ML\QL fans are on their own Fan Hub or Commander Pro\Core. Was also looking at adding the Corsair LS100 Strip starter kit inside the case. I know the 3 pack of fans comes with the RGB hub so I would have 3 of these and the H150i comes with the commander core and I was planning on buying one Commander Pro. Would I have the ability to control everything with the Icue program running all this? Appreciate any help as I have never built anything to this level before.

10 hours ago, SirOvenMitt said:

Wanted to make sure that the Corsair ML 120 Pro 120mm Prem Magnetic Levitation fans match the ones that come with the H150i

Which H150i?  There are a couple.  I will assume H150i Elite that comes with ML-Elite OEM fans (8 LED).  These will NOT match the 4 LED ML-PRO RGB fans that have been the mainstay for several years.  There are new retail ML-Elite (8 LED) and SP-Elite (8 LED) fans out there that are exact matches.  

10 hours ago, SirOvenMitt said:

And if I can run ML and QL fans together without issues in the Icue system as long as the ML\QL fans are on their own Fan Hub or Commander Pro\Core.

Yes, these definitely need to be on separate controllers because of the extreme LED difference (4/8 vs 34 LEDs).  It's really hard to mix and match those other that throwing a random ML on the end of a couple QLs.  Even then, they are completely different in design with the double side exposed ring of the QL and the center hub LEDs on the ML.  Visually it may be OK if the top are ML not really visible.  More of a downcast spotlight.  Then front/side QLs are the showpiece.  However, understand the QL and LL ring fans have special light effects the ML will never be able to do.  The QL has 23 main presets.  The ML-Pro has 12.  It's going to feel a bit less in some ways.  I don't know what CPU you are running, but push-pull is generally not worth the effort on a 30mm radiator unless you have some massive level of case restriction or this is being set-up as a 24/7 number cruncher or something else with continual maximum load.  Even on my 54mm custom radiators, running push-pull is not often worth the loss of space for a 1 to 1.5C reduction in coolant/cpu temperature.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the reply. I am going to be running a Ryzen 9 5900 with some OC. The rest of the build if needed is Asus Crosshair VIII hero, Gskill DDR4 4000(will OC) Asus ROG 3080ti and a Corsair HX1000 Plat Power Supply. And with this case it has the recessed area at the top where the 3 fans can lay without any loss of room. I live in Texas and 8 months out of the year it is hot and this computer room is on the afternoon evening side of the house. We don't run the AC lower than 76 except at night time so temps are always a issue. Yes the QL are the better looking fans and would be in the front and side where they are more visible and the MLs would be in the top so they are grouped with the MLs on the H150i Elite Capellix and have the higher air flow. Would I need any more Hubs or another commander pro for that single fan in the rear of the case or would the 3 hubs, the commander core and pro going to be enough to cover everything? And do the LS100 light strips attach to any of these?

The "7th fan" is always a problem.  If you have QL front + side that is 6 and a full RGB controller/channel.  Push/pull on the top is 6 if you RGB connect all fans.  So that makes the rear the odd man out.  Strictly speaking, you need another RGB channel or Lighting Node Core to handle the 1 fan.  Alternatives are using a RGB splitter, but this will twin the rear fan to its cable mate -- likely the bottom one on the side.  If you forgo the push pull on top, it could go into the Commander Core after the 3 ML-Elite OEM fans.  The Com Core is able to sort the differences for you.  It won't make the ML-E look like a QL or run pong back and forth, but you don't have to screw with odd lighting set-up combinations to generate the proper number of LEDs.  The push-pull will cost you a bit more than 25mm.  You also could skip the upper pull side RGB to save a slot for the rear fan.  Not sure how visible or valuable they will be in the top.

Edited by c-attack

These are the ones I use, but it is possible to make your own as well.  Not sure that is worth it for one since you have to get materials, etc.  For QL, 7 will be the limit for the Lighting Node Core.  Don't add any more than that.  

C-attack I appreciate your help on all this. I will probably end up biting the bullet and getting another Commander Pro for the LS100 light ropes. Can either see if I can get the QL fan to work on the CP with the LS100 stuff or run the splitter. Unfortunately I can't finish this build until the end of March due to the high cost of the video card I just bought.   

One thing to be aware of on the LS100 strips is they are thick and frosted/diffused.  They were originally intended for external ambient (behind the monitor) lighting.  I never cared for that and set it up around the edge of a glass desk.  It works fine, but be aware it is not exactly the same as the typical exposed LED strip.  I know some users who have adapted these for large cases like the 1000D have removed the diffuser plastic.  I am not sure if this is better for you than a standard RGB LED extension kit with a flat design.

There's a lot of reflections going on here, but this is the side profile vs a standard pen.  Actual height is about 18mm.

LS100 thickness.jpeg

Edited by c-attack