Corsair Community

Corsair H80i v2 used on LGA1700

• 3 weeks later...

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/4411406331277-How-to-Use-your-old-retention-bracket-to-mount-an-Elite-Capellix-cooler-to-an-LGA-1700-socket#h_01FM0JD9ZFYYH0BD9TQ0P88T5H

I'm afraid the H80 is not compatible with the new bracket. The cold plate may also be a bit too narrow for the large IHS of Alder Lake.

Honestly, with a 12600k, i would advise to at least use a 240mm radiator anyway

Some people have been able to reuse old coolers when the motherboard has two sets of holes to use LGA1200 and 1700 backplates, but remember that the mounting pressure wil be very weak since the CPU sits lower than on LGA1200.

Weak mounting, plus narrow coldplate and 120mm radiator.. i wouldn't hold much hopes of it working even half decently, but you could give it a careful try if your motherboard allows mounting.

• 1 year later...

Yes, an H80i will cool a 12600K no problems. You don't even need a special mounting kit or updated motherboard standoffs, it works just fine with the LGA1200 kit, provided your motherboard has the LGA1200 cooler mounting holes, like most of them do. You might not be able to overclock it though.

I fitted an old H80i I had laying around to an Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS D4 motherboard with an i7 12700 CPU and it works very well. The copper plate still covers the entire CPU heat spreader, even though it's quite a bit bigger than an LGA1200 one. I get more than decent temps, and very low noise on idle.

IMG-5394.thumb.jpg.59df5e5e46382ed6525bd0e836609c5c.jpg

There is a special mounting kit you can get for socket 1700 which is just 4 new standoff posts. I looked up the difference between the LGA1200 standoffs and LGA1700 standoffs and it is like half a mm, and the tolerance on the mount is +/-1.5mm anyway to account for thick thermal paste etc. So there is no problem at all just applying a tiny bit more tension and using the LGA1200 mounts. Mine has been mounted like this for a few months now and zero issues.

IMG-5404.thumb.jpg.ae502cf21b994930d5fef92f3becb095.jpg

The 12700 and the 12600K both put out roughly the same amount of heat at stock clock speeds. You might find the 12600K with its unlocked power limits runs *slightly* hotter than my 12700, but I think it's a pretty good like-for-like.

heat.thumb.png.99b1969c4b781c564afa1bc3469c3232.png

As you can see from my screenshot I get about 35-38C idle, and even pegging all 10 cores to 100% it maxes out at 65C, still pretty chill for a CPU and nowhere near thermal throttling. I can run it at 100% for hours and hours and that's as hot as it ever gets.

It will definitely be adequate, but in terms of noise and temps, YMMV. I'd expect most people to get better temps than me, since I'm running this in an old Corsair 400Q case with the two default 140MM acting as an intake, and the only other fans in the case are the ones on H80i acting as an exhaust. I also replaced the two Corsair 120MM fans on the H80i with Noctua ultra-low noise fans, so I lose quite a bit of cooling capacity but it runs near-silent even at 100% fan speed. If you used a stronger pair of fans like the ones that come with the H80i you would get better cooling performance, and if you had a case with better airflow than mine you'd probably do better still.

I'm also running an RTX3080 with a stock air cooler that kicks out a LOT of heat into the case, so I think it's pretty decent getting low CPU temps with all of that.

on my phone i can't see any CPU temp on the screenshot. I can almost guess some motherboard sensors but the CPU section of HW monitor only shows load.

I'd worry also about water temp.

Sorry the screenshot got reduced in size after I uploaded it. this one might be better:

temps.png.e193abe6e2a80a5c56cc30edd0aef07f.png

I think my mobo is a little too new for HW Monitor but I'm fairly sure Temp 1 is CPU, 2 is motherboard and 3 is the VRM heatsink. 4, 5 and 6 are fake readings / something else other than a temp sensor.

The water temp sits at like 40-50C under normal use. This is me just maxing all cores to 100% to see if I could get it to throttle at all. I could not. I think it would sit quite happily at 65C all day long.

eeeh, you'd want to look at the real CPU temp rather than motherboard sensors. the CPU temp as displayed by the motherboard is often just a diode under the CPU package. Mine shows a temp of 30 - 35° when the CPU is twice higher.

maybe try HWinfo64 to be sure to have correct temperatures. now the 12700 being locked it will fall back from 180 to 65W after a few seconds so that's okay.

The 12600K is another story, it will boost to 150W but fall back to 125W after the boost duration expires, and that's if the motherboard enforces Intel limits. very often they just disable power and boost duration limits out of the box and you may end up with a 160 - 180W i5.

Edited by LeDoyen

On 1/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, LeDoyen said:

eeeh, you'd want to look at the real CPU temp rather than motherboard sensors. the CPU temp as displayed by the motherboard is often just a diode under the CPU package. Mine shows a temp of 30 - 35° when the CPU is twice higher.

maybe try HWinfo64 to be sure to have correct temperatures. now the 12700 being locked it will fall back from 180 to 65W after a few seconds so that's okay.

The 12600K is another story, it will boost to 150W but fall back to 125W after the boost duration expires, and that's if the motherboard enforces Intel limits. very often they just disable power and boost duration limits out of the box and you may end up with a 160 - 180W i5.

Hmm, yeah you're right. Using HWINFO64 I can see the temps up around 100C at max load, the CPU starts to thermal throttle at exactly 100C.

In Fortnite it gets up to about 80C.  In normal use I doubt I would ever get to 100C and activate throttling, but interesting to know, thanks.

My original point remains, you can use the H80i no problems at all on LGA1700 with the LGA1200 mounting kit, I am writing this post on a machine with that exact setup.

But you will be hitting the thermal limits of the CPU, so you would unlock better gaming / all-core load performance by increasing the cooling capacity.

2 hours ago, SilentConsole said:

you will be hitting the thermal limits of the CPU

And that’s why you don’t use these older AIOs for the new large die, high core count CPUs. Those AIO models were designed with a cold plate for CPUs from an older design standpoint and there has been a shift. It’s not just about the bracket and physical contact is still the most critical aspect of properly transferring heat out of the cpu and sending it somewhere else. 

Yes and no. I'm still using the H80i on this 12700 machine, and I'm never thermally throttled while gaming, I still get max performance out of my CPU. I just can't run synthetic benchmarks and remain at 4.5Ghz, My system drops down to like 4.3-4.2 to stay under 100C in apps like CPU burner, Prime95 and Cinebench.

A lot of prebuilt "gaming" PCs have worse thermals than this, most laptops have worse or the same thermals. So it's hardly "broken", it's just not 100% balls-to-the-wall maxxed out. Perfectly viable for me to run this like this forever I'd say, and certainly in a pinch while I wait for another cooler to arrive.

All of that said, 80C is higher than I want to run my system while gaming, and quite noisy, so I will probably buy something like the Be Quiet Silent Loop 2 280mm. Not because I have to, but because I want to look after my £200 motherboard and I value silence!

Edited by SilentConsole