Corsair Community

Defective?

ppatt

Hi

I have CMX512-3200LL and am getting memory errors, first verified by Microsoft memory test and then by memtest from http://www.memtest.org.

I'm no gamer or memory buff but I'll try to give you everything here that seemed relevant from my reading through the posts.

I have tried both manual and automatic bios settings. Manual was:

2 - cas latency

6 - active to precharge delay

3- dram ras# to cas# delay

2- dram ras# precharge

Auto settings yielded 2.5 - 6 - 2 - 2 (for settings above in same order as above). Memtest encountered many more errors with auto settings.

other bios settings:

auto detect PCI clk enabled

spread spectrun enabled

CPU & AGP/PCI Clock set auto

CPU clock 200MHz

async agp/pci/s-ata clk fixed 66/33/100MHz

voltages all auto

memtest shows:

Intel i848/i865

ECC:disabled

FSB 200MHz

PAT disabled

=====

Hope this helps. I am willing to try anything. Though my goal is only to get up and running, if memory must be replaced I am curious whether I can upgrade at same time by getting some credit, since technology has bound to have improved.

The system seemed to run great for almost a year but lately I have been getting corrupted downloads (I develop software and do large downloads from Microsoft, sometimes up to 1.5GB). After exhausting most possibilities I finally used Microsoft memory test and then went to your site and saw link for memtest. Both tests show about the same errors.

Thanks for any help :):

I am :

What CPU / FSB / Motherboard do you have?

I'm assuming it's Intel from your post. You may want to try disabling Legacy USB support and then trying again. Make sure memory voltage is at least 2.7, and not over 2.9 volts.

They do not have an upgrade option. However, since LLs are no longer made, they'll most likely be replaced by XLs. Is your memory part of a TwinX pack? Was the stick tested by itself, and in multiple slots? Is there any other memory sticks in your setup?

Also, what prompted you to test the memory in the first place?

Hi,

Some of the questions you asked WERE IN ORIGINAL POST !!!! BUT I'LL ANSWER NEW ONES AND RE-ANSWER THE REST.

I'm assuming it's Intel from your post.

YES, THAT IS AN INTEL MB. AS MUCH DETAIL AS YOUD EVER WANT FOLLOWS!!! :eek:

Internal Styling

The chassis is opened by unscrewing three thumbscrews which hold the top panel in place. The top, left, and right panels are a singular piece of metal, and come off all at once, revealing the innards of the SB61G2 chassis. As with all XPC systems, Shuttle includes the motherboard, CPU cooler, and 200W power supply included and pre-installed in the chassis. The CPU cooler and power supply have not changed since the last XPC systems, but still handle the load of today's systems quite well. We've tested this box with Pentium 4 chips up to 3.4 GHz and Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB graphics cards, and the cooling and power supply systems held up their end of the load just fine.

The teeny-tiny motherboard inside the SB61G2 is based upon the Intel 865-G (Springdale-G) chipset and supports Pentium 4 processors at 400, 533, and 800 MHz front side bus speed. The actual chipset is cooled by a large aluminum heatsink with a small fan working as the active Northbridge cooling. In the past we've seen the majority of XPC systems run with passive Northbridge cooling, but apparently the 865-G gets hot enough to require active cooling. Luckily, the cooler on the 865G is near silent, even during peak operation.

You may want to try disabling Legacy USB support and then trying again. Make sure memory voltage is at least 2.7, and not over 2.9 volts.

Is your memory part of a TwinX pack?

YES.

Was the stick tested by itself, and in multiple slots?

YES. THOSE TESTS WERE DONE A FEW MINUTES AFTER ORIGINAL POST AND THAT WAS WHY I RETURNED SO QUICKLY TO REPLY. TEST RESULTS STATED BELOW.

Is there any other memory sticks in your setup?

NO!!!

Also, what prompted you to test the memory in the first place?

ALREADY INDICATED BELOW - CORRUPTED DOWNLOADS (OVER AND OVER AND OVER). I'LL ADD THIS TOO BUT IT WAS NOT WHAT MOTIVATED MY TESTING - BLUE SCREENS AND CORRUPT DVD CONTENTS THAT DID NOT PASS THE RE-READ TYPE VERIFICATION TYPICAL OF MOST DVD RECORDERS. IT ALSO GOT PROGRESSIVELY WORSE UNTIL THE SYSTEM IS DARN NEAR UNUSABLE.

-------------

HERE IS WHAT I RETURNED TO REPLY ABOUT WHEN I READ YOUR REPLY:

I removed on module and the other was fine and tested without errors. I also switched the module that seemed to be OK from slot to slot and it worked fine regardless of which slot it was in.

So I seem to have only 1 defective CMX512-3200LL TWINX....

Ready for the return? :mad: BOTH MODULES? :confused: Still curious if I can upgrade in the process. No problem if not, just thought I'd ask. :!:

Thanks for any and all help you can provide :):

Pat Pattillo

Yes, it's recommended to RMA both sticks of a TwinX pack. Again, they do not have an upgrade option where you can select what memory you get in return. However, since LLs are no longer made, they'll most likely be replaced by XLs.

Caps are like spandex.

Archived